Cushings and liver disease diagnosis

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Cushings and liver disease diagnosis

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

That's good to hear Vicky. Nice to know that there's at least one company who go the extra mile. Looking forward to hearing about how Milly gets on with it.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Burns food generally is very high in carbohydrates as opposed to quality meat / fish protein although they may have a special diet which is superior? Low protein diets for dogs with liver disease (and kidney disease) have been questioned in recent years unless the disease is of a specific kind linked to seizures. There is an article here that explains in more detail that in some dogs a higher protein intake may be needed but possibly with protein from a different source dependent on the type of liver problem:
https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/hospital ... phalopathy

I would be inclined to stick with your homemade food as this will be easier to digest generally and likely more attractive to your dog than a highly processed food with less certainty of meat quality.

I would absolutely agree re no more vaccinations or parasite treatments.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Vickyssm
Puppy
First Name: Vicky
Dog #1: Milly
Born: 30 Jan 2007

Post by Vickyssm »

I gave her more of the chicken I cooked last night, earlier and she ate it so quickly she almost choked! I’m so pleased she still has her appetite as we were told, once that goes, it really is the beginning of the end. And today whilst cooking, she came into the kitchen, quite expectantly. She’s not done that in a while. I’m even wondering if the hepatic diet has been making her miserable. She appears so much better today. Just interested again. What I was thinking, with the burns food, if she likes it we will use that as her ‘treats’. There’s been a daily ritual since she was a pup, my husband leaves her at the back door, hides a few treats round the house then shouts her to find them. A daft thing but she loves it and when she was diagnosed we stopped all that, afraid incase we made her worse. But the vet agreed that she’s too far gone now and said to make her as happy and comfortable as possible. So we started it again but if we can replace those treats with something lower in protein, all the better. Poor thing, when we first stopped it, she used to go and sit, looking up at her food cupboard! I’m quite hopeful today, she just seems more herself. I know it won’t last but really makes me feel better lol
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Wonderful to hear that she has cheered up so much. The treats game sounds great and I am sure it would be lovely to start that up again with whatever ‘treats’ you feel are OK Being happy is surely going to help keep her going and keep you and your husband more positive too :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Vickyssm
Puppy
First Name: Vicky
Dog #1: Milly
Born: 30 Jan 2007

Post by Vickyssm »

She’s poorly again today, small amounts of blood and the runs! I hope it wasn’t the chicken.

The burns pack that the company sent, arrived this morn. That was quick! It contains various food samples, suitable for liver disease. They’ve advised I offer them as treats to begin with and sent detailed info re transitioning her onto them fully, if she likes them. They’ve also sent masses of info about liver disease, cushings disease and general info on the best way to support her. They’ve even sent home cooked recipes to support the liver. I’ve only scanned it quickly at this point, but looks like interesting reading. Even my vet, despite spending £2000 with them over the summer, didn’t offer this level on info!
DorothyM2018
First Name: Dorothy

Post by DorothyM2018 »

I am so sorry to read about your little dog. I am new to the site and my own Miniature Schnauzer, Bonnie aged 7 years has also just been diagnosed with Cushings Disease. We are pretty upset as she still seems so young! Ours started with Bonnie having calcium oxalate bladder stones which she had removed in August, (27 of them) Her urine samples did not improve so the vet did further tests and diagnosed Cushings just this week. When a dog has had Calcium Oxalate stones, they recommend a special diet but as Bonnie has multiple food intolerance, there wasn't a commercial food that she could have. Kristina at Elmos Kitchen devised a diet specially for Bonnie and could possibly help you. (www.elmoskitchen.com) Hope this helps.
For anyone else dealing with Cushings, Bonnie's symptoms were repeated urine infections and drinking more water.