Schuey heart murmur collapsing and liver problem

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
vicky2822

Schuey heart murmur collapsing and liver problem

Post by vicky2822 »

Just wondered if anyone else’s schnauzer has had similar problems.
Schuey collapsed Friday night I thought it was a fit but after a trip to the vet we have found out he has a heart murmur and a liver problem (one enzyme is over 10 times what it should be).
He collapsed every time he lays down for over 2 1/2 hours so night times are very hard.
He has a heart scan tomorrow to find out what’s causing it and waiting to hear when the liver scan is.
I’m worried sick. He has shown no real change since before Friday. It’s scary how quick this has happened. He is eating fine and his usual self when out and about in the day. He will be nine at Christmas.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Schuey heart murmur collapsing and liver problem

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Vicky - so sorry to hear about Schuey. I hope that you can get a more detailed diagnosis from the vet after the scan tomorrow and some advice on how to support him after that too.

Heart murmurs are very common in dogs of all kinds and can vary from mild to severe and it is possible for dogs to live a full and long life with a heart murmur that is not connected to any more serious condition. Clearly in Schuey's case his murmur is more significant but you do need to know the underlying cause.

With the high liver enzyme result too, this may not mean there is an issue with Schuey's liver but may help the vets diagnose what is behind his collapse when lying down. It may need more detailed tests to establish what the cause could be.

Although it seems to have happened quickly, there is a possibility that it was building up over time and has just now become severe enough to have such a dramatic effect, unless you can think of anything that may have happened recently that could have triggered this - eating something toxic; any medication; exposure to agricultural or garden pesticide type products etc.

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know!) and wait until you have the scan results and know a bit more about the condition and possible cause. It sounds positive that he is still eating well and enjoying his walks. Do let us know how you get on at the vet after the scan as there may be suggestions and advice that Forum members can offer once the cause of the condition is known :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Vicky,

As Leigh says, there are times that our pets are diagnosed with conditions which may not be as serious as they sound though I accept that each case is obviously very different.

My first mini, Molly, has a heart murmur. It was picked up by the vet on her puppy check up when she was 8 weeks old. She now lives with my ex and is still going strong and is now 15 and a half years old. Her only concession to old age is deafness and looking for help on stairs and steps but manages hills and the flat with no difficulty.

It's always a concern when our pets are ill and I hope, after the investigations, you have good news.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
vicky2822

Post by vicky2822 »

He has the liver one booked in for Wednesday now. I will update tomorrow. Thanks for the support.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Vicky, you must be so worried. Hope you get some answers quickly and also that the prognosis is good.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
vicky2822

Post by vicky2822 »

Had the heart scan had leaky valve on left side and slight enlargement. Is also wearing a monitor to see if his heart beat is ok. Given me tablets Vetmedin 5mg. Doesn’t want me to start them till he has 24 hrs on the monitor as is.
Hoping these stop the collapsing if his heart beat is too low he may need a pace maker.
Cost £1,080 today, spent £175 Sunday and it’s another £400 for the liver scan. If he needs a pacemaker it’s another £4500 that’s if nothing shows up with the liver that needs sorting. Insurance only covers £2,000 per year so I’m hoping his heart beat is ok and the tablets work. He isn’t enjoying the monitor on him at all.
vicky2822

Post by vicky2822 »

Other problem is we have a family holiday to Tenerife in 3 weeks. I had arranged for the dog groomer to House sit and look after him. Not sure what to do now I really don’t think I can leave him like this or even if the sitter would want the responsibility. OH has the right hump at suggesting they go without me.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

A bit of a curate's egg today Vicky. At least the Vetmedin will take care of the leaky valve and hopefully the 24 test will come up negative.

Hopefully tomorrow's scan goes well for Schuey and show's nothing more for you to worry about.

Best wishes to both of you.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Vicky, difficult one knowing what to do with your hols. Hope Schuey responds well to medication.
vicky2822

Post by vicky2822 »

Unfortunately the abdominal scan did not give us any better news. His liver is very enlarged and denser than it should be. His gallbladder has sludge and he has an enlarged prostrate ( she said not a tumour and probably due to the fact he is intact). More blood tests on the liver but she wants to wait till all the heart info is back. He can only eat homr cooked very low-fat food which will please him. I’ve just got a vat of chicken breast, sweet potatoes, potatoes, broccoli, peas and oatmeal on. Also ready fresh parsley is good. It’s so odd as apart from the fainting (typical he didn’t faint last night when he has the heart monitor on) he is his usual self. Will go out as often as you offer, loving his food and jumping up every time anyone goes near the fridge.
I do not think his liver has ever been great though as since he was little he had had a low fat diet as too much fat had always given him bad sickness and diarrhoea.
Just wondered what his life expectancy is with all this? Not sure if it’s months or if we can still hope for a few more years.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hey Vicky, I have been reading your posts and I'm sending you and Schuey positive thoughts, from myself, Oscar and Sasha. I really hope the low-fat home cooking helps him along and on the road to recovery.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Vicky, if it wasn't for the collapsing you would have had no idea about those other things so try not to worry about them all. Thinking of you both.
vicky2822

Post by vicky2822 »

Poor Schuey really did have a bad week. He hurt his foot Friday and spent all day limping (I thought he had twisted it) roll on Sunday and a nice infected pad so now on antibiotics.
Had another collapse Friday night we think that are due to positioning as all 3 main ones occurred after we had been holding him ( he likes to lay on you on his back with his legs in the air). Vet said it may be due to a nerve.
Took the heart monitor back ( took 2 hours to get off poor boy it was stuck to him like glue) and he had his liver blood test done so just have to wait for these.
The vet also said we need to consider castration as his prostrate is enlarged. I have googled it and apparently it's very common in older dogs. It isn't causing him any problems at the moment so we will think about it once we know what's going on with his heart and liver.
My husband said we should change his name to lucky !
vicky2822

Post by vicky2822 »

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry to hear about Schuey's bad week. Hope he is feeling better today. Thinking of you and sending hugs to you and Schuey.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/