Sulking?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Sulking?

Post by mikegoodson1 » 07 Oct 2018, 20:12

Hoping for some advice from owners who have at least a couple of mini Schnauzers. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive or paranoid......but, it feels like Oscar has been sulking the last couple of days.

We (better half and myself) are always careful to ensure we share the love/affection/play (and generally the three of us play together - Me, Oscar and Sasha) but it feels that over the last couple of days, when it's Sasha's turn for some love/affection, Oscar gives you a 'look' that he isn't happy. He plays with Sasha still and to be honest bless her, she is so thick skinned I don't think she would notice but we have picked up a slight change in Oscar.

Oscar isn't unwell or off his food or water so I don't think he is unwell.

Something I have noticed the last couple of days is that when I let Sasha out to the garden, Oscar is happy to stay inside and have some 1-2-1 playtime, all on his own - normally he would go outside with her.

My wife and I were considering, just now and again, walking Oscar and Sasha separately so they get some alone time but I am not sure if this is a good idea or not? Will it create a divide that there may not be in the first place?

Is it possible Oscar is having a confidence crisis or are we just over-reacting and reading too much into the situation? Anyone else noticed this with their 2?

Oscar is nearly 3 (17th Oct) and Sasha is 1 - we introduced Sasha when Oscar was 2...

Thanks in advance.

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Sulking?

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 08 Oct 2018, 11:41

Hi Mike,

This is something I've been struggling with too as I've noticed a difference in Rosie. Edie is like Sasha, thick skinned whereas Rosie is more sensitive like Oscar.

I've been wondering about taking one dog out for a walk while my wife takes the other out for a walk. Edie could do with some 1-1 training on walking on the lead as she pulls a little too often for my liking and it's hard to correct when I'm walking the pair together.

I've been working hard with Edie, to ensure that she gives Rosie space when she needs and not to pester her and she's really getting the hang of it. She will now walk away from her bowl when she's finished her food and watch Rosie eat from a distance. As soon as Rosie walks away from her dish then she's straight over to minimise the washing required!

Also when Rosie comes down in the morning Edie now doesn't try and follow her outside to wind her up as she knows that Rosie likes to walk around quietly.

There are times that I think Rosie seems a little down and, if I'm honest, I do sometimes think there are times she seemed happier when she was on her own but these are few and far between compared to generally how better she seems overall. Edie, on the other hand has never known anything except having Rosie as a companion so she's not had the same adjustment to make.

Like you, I do sometimes wonder if I'm overthinking the whole situation :)
You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 08 Oct 2018, 18:02

With our current three schnauzers they do get their own walks. We would always recommend walking a puppy separately anyway until they are walking well on lead as it is almost impossible to concentrate on training good lead walking when taking out two dogs at the same time. It does double up on the time taken unless you can have two people walking together each with a dog but even then it is not ideal for training the puppy as they tend to be erratic in walking and may jump at the older dog or try to catch their lead and may disrupt the pleasure of the outing for the older dog too.

Generally puppies will appear to be more “thick skinned” just because they are young, mischievous and totally self centred. This may change as they mature. However, your older dog/s do need their own space and some one to one time with you. Training can be done separately and gives each dog a chance to have your full attention. Young pups need basic social training but older dogs too should continue to enjoy training activities of some kind on a regular basis: scent work, agility, canine parkour - any fun formal activity that challenges them mentally and involves you engaging with them. It increases the bond between you and helps keep their minds active as well - and can tire them more than a long walk! Even if there are no formal training classes in your area you can carry out many types of activity in your own garden from hiding scent items to setting up mini agility equipment or follow an online course on canine parkour. There are a range of YouTube video and online guides to canine training activities and we have found our own schnauzers and their relatives who live with other families all love participating in these.

I suppose it is only natural for a dog (or human?) that has enjoyed the undivided attention of their family for a year or more to feel a bit “put out” and they do need time to adjust to the changed family dynamics but I think that once a puppy is mature, is less demanding of attention and more able to participate in games and activities with their older “sibling” it is very rare that two young schnauzers will not get along just fine :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 » 09 Oct 2018, 08:51

Thanks Leigh and Sam - Oscar did get 1-2-1 time in the Spring/Summer when I took him to agility training (which he loves) but I think I will do the separate walks for Oscar and Sasha now and again, maybe just once a month and my wife and I will alternate who we take.

They do both get on but I suspect as you both mentioned, maybe Sasha is a bit too much for Oscar some times and he needs a bit of space, we'll work on that :)

Thanks.

jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: Elle welsh terrier
Born: 28 May 2006

Post by jacdales » 09 Oct 2018, 09:27

I found that with Hamish. he was 4.5 when we brought 4 month old Suzi home last October. They get on very well but recently we noticed that sometimes he would refuse to go in the garden with her or get a bit rough when playing. My brother got a Pomeranian pup and because Suzi is such a friendly love everyone dog she goes for a play date once a week. Hamish is always pleased to see her when we get back. I think he likes his brief respite from 50mph Suzi