Meet Winston!

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
gilliankay
First Name: Gillian

Meet Winston!

Post by gilliankay »

Hello everyone,
I would like to introduce our little boy, Winston. He is 15 weeks today. He is such a little character with a cheeky personality :-)
He loves meeting new dogs, gets quite vocal to start with but they soon put him in his place and he quietens down.
He is toilet trained, we keep him in his crate at night, we are very lucky that he loves his crate. At night he will often take himself to bed without us even having to say.
He has calmed down quite a lot with his nipping (those crocodile teeth!!) but he still has his moments! Just wondered if this stops when the adult teeth come through? I’ve heard it does but just wanted some advice please :-) We tell him no, and distract him with his toys, but sometimes, my arm is just more fun to bite for him!
Thanks in advance,
Kay & Winston x

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Meet Winston!

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Welcome Winston (and Kay).

He makes getting up onto the settee look very achievable with those long legs.

You're absolutely right, the nipping does disappear when the adult teeth come in - usually around 20 weeks when the first ones fall out. Just be consistent with letting him know it's not acceptable and it'll soon be a thing of the past.

I hope you have many years of fun and companionship together.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
gilliankay

Post by gilliankay »

Thank you so much, he is very tall. Weighed him yesterday and he’s 5.2kg - he’s grown so much in 7 weeks, he has big paws. Think he will be a big mini xx
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Kay and Winston, what a lovely looking boy. Welcome to the forum!
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Gillian, welcome to the forum, what a lovely boy you have and yes, if he is starting to calm down with the needle teeth biting then you are past the worst. It only gets better if like Sam says you continue to tell him it hurts, high pitched ouch worked for me.

I am quite annoyed today, just found out that OH has thrown away all of Otto's baby teeth, well those that I managed to find. He didn't know what they were when he opened the small table drawer so just chucked them.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Gillian, welcome to you & your lovely boy hope the needle biting goes away soon Yes I used to scream, Don't worry they grow so fast, Gino is now 20 months & I cant believe how fast the time has passed since he came to us.

Gosh Julie I can understand you being annoyed with o/h I would be too, I have most of Gino's puppy teeth.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :-)

As said above, the nipping does stop as a puppy matures, quite naturally. You can use distraction with food and toys and also make sure that Winston does not get overtired. Many times, puppy nipping is much worse when they have been active / excited for too long and just need to rest. Teething can be very painful and some pups have lower pain thresholds than others so they do need plenty of good chew items to work off their urge to get their teeth into something!

Breeders / owners who have tried out not using any regular tactics to deter puppy nipping have found that the pups still grow out of this as they mature so it is a stage and does need managing so you don't get hurt of course but it will pass and is not related to aggression biting in an adult dog which is something quite different.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

gilliankay wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 18:54 Hello everyone,
I would like to introduce our little boy, Winston. He is 15 weeks today. He is such a little character with a cheeky personality :-)
He loves meeting new dogs, gets quite vocal to start with but they soon put him in his place and he quietens down.
He is toilet trained, we keep him in his crate at night, we are very lucky that he loves his crate. At night he will often take himself to bed without us even having to say.
He has calmed down quite a lot with his nipping (those crocodile teeth!!) but he still has his moments! Just wondered if this stops when the adult teeth come through? I’ve heard it does but just wanted some advice please :-) We tell him no, and distract him with his toys, but sometimes, my arm is just more fun to bite for him!
Thanks in advance,
Kay & Winston x

What a lovely wee fellow he is.
gilliankay

Post by gilliankay »

Thank you all for your comments! We start puppy training tomorrow, can’t wait to see how he is! Will keep you all updated xxx