Size

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Ivy-in-nz
First Name: Rachel

Size

Post by Ivy-in-nz »

Hi there,
I am new here, and also new to schnauzers. I have an 11 week old gorgeous girl who also has some poodle in her.
She is currently 2.1 kgs (weighed at the vet today) and at 10 weeks was 1.9 and weeks 2.4kg.
I’m not sure the breeder was entirely honest with means unfortunately I didn’t meet her parents.
I was hoping she would be on the smaller end of the scale, but the vet said he thought she would be 8 kg.
Is it possible to make a size prediction, or is it a case of wait and see?
Thanks in advance
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Size

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Rachel

I have two miniature Schnauzers; Oscar and Sasha. When Sasha was 11 weeks old, she weighed 2.9kg - at 9 weeks old she was 2.3kg - now at nearly 18 months old, Sasha is 8.5kg.

Sasha at 11 weeks:

Sasha now (with Oscar):

Hopefully that helps :)
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Rachel she sounds on track to be a nice size. Otto put on 1kg each month and has ended up at 8.5kg. When a pup is growing you will find that one minute they look small and plump, then they look leggy and tall then they look in proportion again. It is a pity you didn't see the parents as that would have given you the best view of what size she was going to be.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Ivy-in-nz
First Name: Rachel

Post by Ivy-in-nz »

Thanks, I had been clear with the breeder that I wanted a small dog, and she had told me the mum was 6.5 kilos, and 30 cm tall; Dad was 4.5 kilos and 25cm tall (poodle x schnauzer). I’ve since found out both parents are a bit bigger than that, but not by too much. She is also apparently the runt - but I don’t know if that necessarily means anything?
She is 12 weeks old today and weighs 2.4 and is about 24cm tall. She is completely gorgeous (except when she’s biting!)
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Rachel - it is always going to be difficult to assess size, temperament, health etc. in a "lucky dip" dog i.e. a dog of one or more of the following: unknown ancestry / unseen parents / unregistered / no health testing / no contract etc. Crossbreed / mixed breed dogs may be sold as being bred from particular breeds but unless DNA evidence is provided they could be a mix of anything. My brother and his wife purchased a "cockerpoo" puppy from a very pleasant seeming neighbour who was an amazing storyteller re the pups he was selling. In fact the neighbour was a dealer, moving on puppies from puppy farms sold as a variety of popular crossbreeds. A DNA test after purchase revealed the puppy to have no spaniel genes at all (cocker or otherwise) and was a mix of a range of different terriers and toy poodle. Apart from a number of minor health problems she is a sweet natured little dog, but predictions of her future size were clearly wrong as based on the lies of the seller.

The vet's advice and taking into account the size of a puppy at a certain age should give a reasonable indication of adult size but it probably will be a question of "wait and see" .

Re the description of her as the "runt", this may depend on whether the word is being used accurately or simply to describe her as the smallest in the litter. The definition of a "runt" is: "'the smallest and weakest animal born at the same time to the same mother" and can indicate potential health issues in the future. However, the term is also used carelessly so not necessarily of concern and some undersized puppies do thrive anyway as they mature with good nutrition and care.

I would not worry too much now about size etc. but just love her for what she is and look forward to many happy years with her to come :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/