Jasper's puppy days

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Jasper's puppy days

Post by Dawnspell »

BeeBee wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 13:40 I've just caught up with your news Alison. So sorry about Barney, how awful for you all.
But love reading about Jasper.
We now have a young boy, a mini - Albert Claude - who is masquerading as a giant. He is enormous, with long legs and I love your description "racing snake'!!
Nice to see you back :ymhug: you'll have to give us an update.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

We're back from a week in UK after my Mums funeral.

I asked the minister the day before the funeral if we could go and get Jasper to bring him to reception after the funeral. So many of my Mums friends had heard about him I knew they'd like to see him. So he said why not bring him into the church as well, we welcome pets. The Undertaker came to the house the morning of the funeral for a chat. I mentioned about Jasper, he said I've no objections to him coming in the limousine and there have been dogs at services at the crematorium before. After about 2mins discussion it was decided he would come to the crematorium, the thanksgiving church service and the reception.

My Auntie and cousin came a bit later. Jasper was in full crazy, zoomie, excited to see new people mode :ymdevil: :)) They commented he wasn't going to be happy being left in his crate being so excitable, so I told them he was coming to the whole funeral. Well I wish I could have taken a photo of their faces =)) I think they thought I'd finally lost the plot :))

The time came to leave I carried Jasper out to the limo and who should arrive as the door closed but Jasper the Angel :x At the crematorium he walked along side me behind my Mums coffin. Sat quietly on someone's knee or the floor through the service. Then down to the church, didn't bat an eyelid when the organ started playing and laid down at the front so he could people watch wagging his tail. At the reception he loved people coming to him and got fed lots of beef and Turkey for being such a good boy. He didn't woof or react to anything the whole time just watched with interest.

My Mum loved butterflies so of course Jasper had to have butterflies on his harness :D

People commented on how well behaved he'd been and how he'd made them smile with his cute expressions through the services. My Auntie and cousin just couldn't believe it was the same dog =))

Barney changed my Mum into a dog lover. I had Jasper registered in mine and her name so she could say she owned a dog. She would have been so proud of her little boy and would have loved the fact he made people smile on such a sad occasion.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

What a lovely story, so sorry to hear about your Mum Alison, I must have missed that. Hopefully it made a very sad day bearable. Well done Jasper.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I know it's a really sad subject but what a beautiful story and picture you painted. What a star Jasper was on what probably was a difficult day for you but I bet you felt better with him being there.
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Oh Alison, this made me cry, bringing back memories, my girlies led my husband procession into the crem, with the owner of their daycare handling them, like you said, they were part of your loved ones lives. I am so glad he was such a good boy, he seems to be very in tune with you bless him, it shows he isn't just a crazy boy but a sensitive one.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Glad to hear that everything went relatively well for you and that Jasper the angel turned up on the day to honour his joint owner and how, through him, you'll always have the memories of your mum and Barney.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Its a great responsibility being the office morale dog. The weather has turned a bit cooler but not cold enough for heating to be on so I'm training Jasper to be my personal hot water bottle. Hes taking his job very seriously, I think training is going well :-bd =)) :ymhug:

And an hour later :D
Our first family dog
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Oh bless him, doesn't look like he is moving any time soon :D
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

He sure does look content, I couldn't imagine either of my girls staying like that for an hour, 5 minutes would probably be more than enough, lucky you getting a cuddle for so long :x
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

The only problem Alison is when you need to press Control or Alt and a key and your hand doesn't have a big enough span :) Don't you find yourself wanting to nod off with him?
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Schnauzer Sam wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 11:56 The only problem Alison is when you need to press Control or Alt and a key and your hand doesn't have a big enough span :) Don't you find yourself wanting to nod off with him?
We've got that covered. I put a cushion as you can see in second photo in the gap of the chair arm so he doesn't need my arm for support. Once Jasper is comfy I move my arm out he doesn't care if his head ends up in my arm pit =)) On the settee you quite often see a headless dog as he stuffs his head under cushions. Hes as loopy asleep as he is awake :D

We save the nodding of together for on the settee then he doubles as a foot warmer :))
Our first family dog
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

What a touching post and I love the registering him in your mum's name too and butterflies. Dogs are very special, in so many ways.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Amazingly Jasper has made it to 6 months old without having to have major surgery, or poisoning himself with something he shouldn't have eaten =))
Here he is 4 mths ago when we picked him up

And here he is today with a bit of him in the same carrier, he's grown a bit :-o
This is also him today
And this was Barney at 6 mths a totally different build
Our walk this morning

He has few issues like wanting to chew on something all the time.

His outdoor recall has taken a slide due to me not keeping up his training and his hormones kicking in.

Humping his larger toys and OH leg has become an issue too. We've had to confiscate the larger toys hiding them didn't work he kept finding them =)) to the point of jumping on chairs then onto the table :ymdevil:

Grooming is still like trying to groom an eel, he just can't keep still

He loves doing indoor training. He knows sit, down, stand, come, nose touch, roll over both ways, give a paw when sitting or standing, spin, fetch, wait, "swaps" ( getting him to bring something he shouldn't have for treats), takes socks off, just starting to learn to sit pretty and crawl.

His own taught tricks are undoing zips on his crate, opening the gate, using his teeth to pick out the big sticky buds in his legs, knows the sound of my car coming home.

His most accomplished skill is making us laugh and smile everyday :x the real reason for having a dog :D
Our first family dog
mikegoodson1

Post by mikegoodson1 »

What a beautiful boy your Jasper has grown into (although in truth, he was a super cute puppy) and look at those legs, he is like a giant :) and if I may say, Barney was an absolute stunner - I would have said a perfect looking mini-Schnauzer, a real handsome chap.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Super super cute and looks like it is built to run and run and run..... :)
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.