Monty's Only Bad Habit!

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Monty's Only Bad Habit!

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi all

Monty is thriving. He's such an affectionate and playful boy and we love him to bits. He is a perfect companion.

Our only little pickle of a thing with him is that in the early evenings, Monty has recently started going for my feet or trouser legs when I am walking around downstairs. He doesn't do it to my partner, and it only tends to be between 6pm and 8pm, when he's a bit more lively anyway. I think it's because we spend all day together (I work from home) and we enjoy playing games, do some training, he sleeps next to me on the sofa when I'm reading, he'll chill out in his bed by me when I'm doing work on the dining room table on my laptop and we go for three walks a day. However, come early evening and I'm making dinner and I'm a lot busier for more sustained periods of time. It feels like he's trying to pull me in his direction to sit on the sofa or to play. His nibbling/pulling doesn't hurt at all, and it's accompanied with his playful growl and his tail is up. I have to pick him up and place him in his crate. However, he loves it in there, and while relaxed with his time out, it doesn't really work as a sanction - it just helps me out!

I've tried distracting with a toy, ignoring and leaving the room just like puppy days but to no avail. It's probably been going on for three weeks now. Monty is 10 months old next Tuesday. Could it just be adolescence? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you. Photos attached!

Relaxing with my partner

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Monty's Only Bad Habit!

Post by zeta1454 »

One of our mini schnauzer girls (5 years old) has always acted in a similar way when I put on my boots to go out in the garden. She follows me along snuffling at my feet and making playful noises. I don't really know why she does this and have never been able to completely stop it! I think it is playfulness and excitement in her case at going out as she doesn't do it in the house.
With Monty it could be adolescence but this seems to be his way of trying to get your attention on him rather than what you are doing and, with some dogs, that is a personality trait which may be difficult to completely change. I would try putting him in his crate before you start cooking or any other busy time when you can't be giving Monty attention so he doesn't actually start the behaviour and it is not a "sanction" but a way of avoiding the situation for you and, if he enjoys being in the crate, help to teach him that when you are occupied, he settles down rather than joins in :)

Monty looks very sweet in the photos :o3
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Just to add to my post above, we decided to invest in an Orvis wooden dog gate about a year ago and have found it well worth the money. We do have a lot of dogs so it may be more useful in our case but it has meant that we can effectively cut off areas in the house to keep the dogs from: bothering us while working; leaping for the post as it comes through the letterbox; separating slow eating canine guests from our pack at meal times etc. The folding gates are heavy, sturdy and moveable which mean they can be used where needed. They are an alternative to putting a dog in a crate or playpen and, as long as you don't have very wide open spaces in the house can temporarily section off areas in an open plan living space:

https://www.orvis.co.uk/dog-gates

We have the panel zigzag gate which looks quite smart too :)

https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/panel-zig-zag-dog-gates/8g34
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Lovely photos Em. I have always used a "no! mummy's" command when Otto has something of mine that he shouldn't have or is pulling on my clothes. Works brilliantly when used consistently so much so that he literally spits stuff (like my slippers) out of his mouth super quick or will just leg go. I have no doubt Monty's behaviour is purely adolescent and he is testing his boundaries but now is the time to show him that you would rather he not do that. Schnauzers in my experience are fantastic are understanding what is unacceptable when they are a bit older, the last thing they want to do is upset their Mum :D :D
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Nothing to add to the excellent advice above - I just wanted to say how cute Monty looks in the photo's :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

Thanks all. That has given me a lot of food for thought. We have noticed that Monty is generally becoming a little more clingy at the moment. He has always been our shadow, but now he's like a limpet! At 10 months old, I'm wondering if it's just a phase.

Luckily, he's still great when we need to go out, and loves his crate. He definitely sees it as a den and a safe haven and he's quite content chilling with a biscuit, a puzzle and a toy.

The whole snaffling at my trouser legs has not improved. It's not a massive issue anyway - when I am wearing socks he'll go for them too but not gripping firmly with his teeth, more cute growls and bouncing like a little lamb at them! He's definitely playing and having a whale of a time, even if it does take me ten times longer to get anything done in the evening! I have put him in his crate too to limit the impact in the evening, and he simply watches me potter around looking ridiculously cute and using his puppy dog eyes, pleading with me to let him out to join in! :))
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

They can enter a second fear phase leading up to a year old. This might explain his clingy behaviour.

Jasper was always gripping at my socks, so I turned it into a trick. He'll now pull my socks off like an assistance dog. Hes so happy with himself when hes done it and brings the sock for me to put on again. Occasionally of course he does try to take them off when I don't want him to =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo »

I like that sock trick! I'm definitely going to give that a go with Monty.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Start off with encouraging him just to grip at the toe area. I loosened mine to start with so there was something to grab and actually put a treat in the toe bit of my sock to encourage him to hold the right bit. When he pulls say "pull" at the time hes doing it. When he has the idea of pull set him up for success by making the sock really easy to pull off. Lots of praise when he does it. Then you can start upping the difficulty by making it harder to pull until hes doing it all.

Ive just been wearing the footsie type socks hes going to have to really start pulling for ankle socks :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

This sock fettish used to be a nuisance. When we had tradesmen in and they took their shoes off at the door to then find a little schnauzer trying to nibble at their feet. Very embarrassing, even the smell didn't put him off. Oscar my first schnauzer used to pull socks off. Absolutely loved it, great game. As Alison said, just make sure there is a bit of sock loose at the toes otherwise your toes get attacked. Nice memories.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

What is it with socks!? When I come home from work or playing tennis they love it if I take my socks off, roll them into a ball and throw them for the pooches to then chase and carry around in their mouths for ages. This game keeps them entertained for a fair while - bizarre!

I too may try the game of getting them to pull them off :)

*Post edited to confirm I do not have smelly feet! :D
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Ha Mike, prepare for stretched socks.