Puppy life with Ozzy

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat

Puppy life with Ozzy

Post by Schnauzerluv »

His name is Ozzy, he is a black and silver mini schnauzer born July 30, 2020. So I don't have him yet, I don't even get to visit him due to covid, but I do have 2 really bad pics lol (the breeder is not very good with photography :-s )

Here he is! Meet Ozzy :ymhug:

Here he is about 2.5 weeks old. We weren't sure at this point if he was black/silver or black based just on the pic. He is a dark B/S if so no doubt. Both his parents are black so we weren't sure.

So a few days ago, the breeder sent me this pic to show his legs
He is almost 4 weeks now and now it is clearly apparent he is Black and Silver. I love his little goatee!!! πŸ˜‚ I don't think it will stay like a white strip, but it's super cute right now haha!

So I still don't have a pic of the whole face lol! :-P But in her defense, she is 80YO and keeps super busy with puppies, so i'll give her a break haha

Schnauzerluv

Re: Puppy life with Ozzy

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Well folks, he's here!!! Ozzy came home last evening and he is doing amazing πŸ€—. He had never seen outdoors until last night and already he was 2 for 2 bathroom breaks outside. Only one small half piddle inside and one tiny #2, in which he was carried outside for the rest of it on day 1 haha. I'm pretty impressed with his instincts, he seems to enjoy the outdoors a lot.

He was really tired last night, big day the drive to his new dig and he went for his shots the day before Thursday, so I expected him to be wiped the first day. I managed to get vid of him playing with his blanket tag, so cute! His first play πŸ˜›

https://vimeo.com/459593161

Today though, it's actually difficult to get him to sleep lol, he doesn't want to miss out on anything. I think he'll fit right in, so far it's like he's been here with us for much longer.

He loves his food! The breeder said he might not eat the first day, but he ate his dinner like a champ! This morning he was crying for his food, so excited, and standing up on his bum in anticipation hahaha!

After a morning of playing and running/bouncing a bit outside, he is ready for another nap, this is Ozzy at the moment on my knee in yoga position in a blanket sling

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy is growing so fast! He turned 8 weeks old on Thursday and we've had him for a week now. I seriously saw he was noticeably bigger, so I weighed him out of curiosity on Thursday at 8 weeks and he gained 1.5lbs! So he weighed 5lbs exactly on Thursday- right on track for a good size mini schnauzer. He is also looking less baby like and more like a mini me schnauzer. His eyebrows and beard are starting to show, it's so cute! It's so cute to see him growing up!

He LOVES the outdoors! He is hilarious, he doesn't run, he bounces πŸ˜‚ =)) Like a little bunny!! While playing outside today, he was hopping/running all sideways and breaking into a somersault to stop his momentum hahaha! He doesn't care if he goes head over heels and rolls all over. How I've missed these puppy days! But he's also a lovebug and loves his pets, especially when he gets sleepy.

Sticks are his favorite. He has a stick pile I didn't get around to discarding yet and he gets to choose his sticks, drag them out, chew on them, pull on them, fetch them, what's not to love? Here's a vid of him playing with a stick.
https://youtu.be/AaMdhBfQ_ao
I just love how he finds entertainment in everything! Such a happy playful puppy who loves life and something to discover every day :)

Did I say he hardly barks yet? He growls while pulling on his toys, and I've heard him make little noises, but he only barked once yesterday and once today.

And one more sleepy pic because I love how sweet they look while sleeping and I just think ours a good pic. So tranquil, so comfortable.

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

So I said he didn't run? That's a joke! He loves to run and he's so fast too! Such good agility! He loves to jump too and throw himself upsidedown on the ground. I hope he stops that soon because as he gets taller it's a longer fall to the ground and he's not so rolly poly like he was a week ago. I'm sure he'll learn. But he's so stinking cute!

He gave us a good scare today though. He took a superman jump right off deck (to see me I think), I felt so bad. It's like he ran toward me and just kept running. There was a small guard, but not tall enough, I didn't think he'd ever do that! Reminder for me what it's like with a puppy that knows nothing. I still see him bolting happily toward me in my mind. Poor guy. He dropped into a large flower pot (luckily) with small cedar trees, so at least there was that to break his fall. I think I yelled and tried to catch him, just a reaction, and he let out the most painful yelp. It was awful. I scooped him up immediately trying to make him feel safe. My OH came out in concern wondering what had happened. We didn't want to make a big deal about it, but between me coddling him and my OH, he seems just fine. Phewww!

I told my OH, in a little while, this will be funny looking back.

It was Ozzy's first scare, and I have to say ours too!

They sleep in the funniest positions don't they?

Cute schnauze and pawz

A friend stopped by to see Ozzy and brought gifts. This is one of the new toys

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I'm so glad he wasn't traumatized by his superman jump off the deck because he was investigating the area right after. I had already added a fence all around the deck, he's so fast he just flies everywhere!

Today he climbed the deck stairs all on his own! I was so surprised he attempted and succeeded all by himself with no coaxing. I had him in the grass and went in for a second, he whined once and then I heard what I thought was him climbing the steps. And there he was on the deck! I honestly didn't think he could do that, he's bigger but still pretty wee to climb those. He's so brave and pretty independent for a wee pup.

All eyes on Ozzy lol!
See what I mean by the eye contact? Here he hearing a disturbed squirrel for the first time. It's hard to hear on vid, but it's shouting at something, probably us.
https://youtu.be/X1PPvDqeXs8
He didn't know what was making the sound, but I was laughing my butt off because he kept looking at me for the answer 🀣

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

He whines to go to potty, when he's tired and doesn't want to miss out and he growls when he plays, but hardly barks.....so far.....lol. But one thing is consistent, he really doesn't like my phone in his face πŸ˜‚
https://vimeo.com/462264075
The most he barks is usually for his food because he's so excited for it, but now and then he lets out little barks, and those are mostly little woofs in his sleep.

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy turned 9 weeks old yesterday and today marks 2 weeks with Ozzy. He is growing so fast and so much personality is coming out. When he greets my OH in the morning or when he gets home from work, he gets down on his belly and wags his tail. It's the cutest greeting, he doesn't go completely crazy but he very excited. He had come to recognize the honk of the car alarm and I ask him "who's here?" He looks at me and then I say "go see" and point at the door. By that time my OH is walking in the door and Ozzy is right there to greet him. I know my OH loves this part of the day :)

To mark 9 weeks I snapped this pic yesterday.
It's one of my better pics I think. I can't believe how big he is looking. It's just crazy how much growing they do physically and mentally in 2 weeks.

Last week, he learned "sit" in 10 mins. But that was easy because he already sat a lot, like when waiting for his nums (food). But he got it on command almost immediately. So smart. Today we worked on lie "down". It was a little more difficult, but it really only took two sessions for him to catch on pretty well. He's just doing so well with everything.

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy was 10 weeks on Thursday πŸ€— He's doing so well! He is totally down with "sit" and "lie down", we move rooms during training, indoors/outdoors, out of sequence, he gets it every time πŸ‘ So this week he's learning "stay". It comes pretty natural to him since he already waits for a command to make a move. So I'm able to walk a bit away, use a hand gesture and command to stay and be pretty much gets it right away. I mix up "pushups" (sit and down) and moving from room to room to learning stay and i'm just so impressed with him.

He has doubled his size and weight since he came home 3 weeks ago!
I may have gone a bit crazy with training treats :-" I was using kibble as treats, but in addition to his meals so it might be too much. Now i'm using his food for training before his meal and the remainder is fed in the bowl for lunch at least.

He's my little Helper outside 😊. He loves to 'help' me pick up the leaves. He grabs at the leaves I pick up (I pick them real quick like i'm playing and gently facewash him with a handful of leaves lol. He jumps and rolls in the leaf pile when I throw them down. Then he rips back and forth a few times with zoomies, he's such a blast!

A little big still, but I had to
Baby bones lol. Can't say he's a fan of wearing costumes, but it made for a funny pic hahaha!
He'd rather chew or sleep on his coats =))

It's a winter snowsuit inside out for when he's bigger, hopefully it'll fit his adult size. I have to say it's pretty nice especially for 20$.

It's size XXL and I think it'll be a good size for him ;) Some winter days are very cold here, sometimes not even advised to go outside for very long. But I don't want him to miss out on his time outside on the reasonably cold days so I got him this heavy snowsuit.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Great photos :)

Puppies do grow very fast in the first months and extra treats are not too much of an issue initially but you are doing the right thing cutting back by using the treats from his meal allowance. Lovely to see the photos of Ozzy as he develops.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thanks for the approval advice :) It's working wonderfully. He is totally satisfied with the amount he's getting now.

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Ozzy turns 14 weeks today πŸ€— We went for our 1st puppy class 2 days ago where he met other pups for the 1st time! I was so nervous how he'd handle it, but it was better than I expected. He cowered a tiny bit and barked at first, but overall it did go ok. I'm excited for next week's session.

He has now met my parents, my OH's parents, his sister and my 2 nieces. We took it slow with my nieces, had them feed his meal, but overall I think he's doing alright for a Covid pup.

I was really stressed about it because he flipped out wailing when the vet touched him and almost fell off the table. But she ended up holding him to examine him and allas he was getting heavy as he was getting sleepy and limp weight. So I think the end of his visit went ok and he is finally getting used to different ppl and dogs.

I'm bringing him for short walks now, in the car, to pet stores, getting him used to ppl and dogs walking by (and cars because he goes to chase them 😨) in the front ect.

I bought him a hoodie for his size since it's getting chilly here and he was shivering the other morning. Lol he looks so cute!

Also had to share this vid hahaha! He makes me laugh all the time πŸ˜‚

His squeaky cow
https://youtu.be/trThQU-4rsw

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Ahhh hes so cute :x I think hes going to be a stunner. It looks as though his white markings are getting brighter. Love the video, made me smile :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Went to the LPS today to get more food. Ozzy was such a hit, everyone LOVED him! One lady even took his pic lol. Like a superstar or something. Don't worry he was naked, I didn't make him wear any hoodies ;) But we sure felt special, at least I did haha! So proud of my boo tho. He sat the whole time I was talking to the lady about food. I was feeding him his kibble as he sat and just looked at me, but still, that was pretty darn good amidst all the distractions and new surroundings and ppl ect. I'm very impressed. I guess that made him even cuter, because everyone wanted to say hello and making 'awwwww's.

I got him some freeze-dried duck for treats. I meant to get fish skins or something to chew, but forgot. Oh well, guess we'll have to go the next LPS tomorrow ;)

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Dawnspell wrote: ↑
06 Nov 2020, 11:50
Ahhh hes so cute :x I think hes going to be a stunner. It looks as though his white markings are getting brighter. Love the video, made me smile :D
I'm glad you were smiling, I know these minis bring joy to our every day ☺ Ozzy says thanks for the compliment, I think he'll be a stunner too! So proud of him in everything πŸ€—

Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

It's been a while since I've updated, I have some catching up to do, but Ozzy is now 6 months old! I thought that merited an update!

A friend of mine got me on to the "snow kicking game". Ozzy loves it!
https://youtu.be/QDBQ_4Vp7_8

He LOVES to run, so I built him a snow track lol. He runs around me weaving in the tunnels πŸ˜‚ He's the fastest schnauzer I've had, kicks my other two mini's arseses lol