Growling

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Zandie12
First Name: Alex

Growling

Post by Zandie12 »

Hi, I am new on this forum! Hope everyone is well 😊

I have a 16 month old miniature schnauzer. She is so lovely and friendly! She is friendly with pretty much everyone and great off the lead.

I live in a block of flats however, so for her to go to the toilet I need to take her downstairs and onto a lawn. Because lots of people live in my area when she goes to the toilet we walk past loads of people every visit. For some reason when we are in the communal area she will almost always without fail growl or bark at every single person she sees.

When we walk past the communal area and get onto a normal path or park she won't make a sound for the entire walk. But every time we come back to the communal area she barks and growls at everyone again.

Does anyone else have this issue? I know schnauzers are barky but this seems a little aggressive/unfriendly. She has never had a bad experience with a stranger. It makes little sense to me. Can anyone please help?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Growling

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome

She giving a warning that shes not comfortable about something in that area, it may not even be the people. Have you tried taking her to the communal area when no one is around to see what her reaction is ? Try that and report back.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

In her mind, I wonder where her territory starts and finishes. They are notoriously protective of their territory. The people are also, I imagine, nearer to her and perhaps there she feels more confined and restricted from an escape point of view. Another idea is that actually, without knowing it, you are tensing on the lead because you know she might react and are worried about what other people might think. That feeds down the lead and she then thinks there is something to worry about. So my advice is to try and relax, chat to her, chat to people in the communal area, be chirpy, be calm. Let her realise that there is nothing to fear. Tell everyone in the communal area that she is in training and to speak to her with a soft voice whilst standing back, you might even be able to move on to treat giving but only when she seems really relaxed and never when growling or barking. I think she will come round to realising it's a safe place.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Zandie12
First Name: Alex

Post by Zandie12 »

Hi thank you so much for your responses.

Yes I take her out at night at around 10pm and when there is no one there she is jumping around like there is no care in the world, no growling, no barking. But the second someone comes along she will either growl or bark again. Like I said earlier past this area she never barks or growls and is friendly with everyone.

I definitely agree with the tension down the lead. I try to relax as much as possible but when I see a group of children and their parents I always seem to get anxious which I'm sure reflects even if I do nothing noticeable to the human eye.

I will absolutely try my best to stay relaxed and calm. When she barks/growls I try to sit her down wait for her to be quiet then reward her with a treat. Being a smart schnauzer I am sure she has worked out if she growls/barks she knows ill tell her to be quiet, sit and treat (which obviously is the complete opposite affect of what I want). Would you recommend no treats for now and just try to socialize and familiarise herself with the area?

Also she has been living here since she was 2 months old, so therefore 14 months in total. Is it possible for her to get over this?

Thanks so much for your help and advice