do you bring your dog to the shops?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
machosky
Puppy
First Name: Sarah

do you bring your dog to the shops?

Post by machosky »

I'm wondering if it's worth buying a dog bag to carry my fella in so he can nip into the shops with me? It would be nice since I can't leave him outside, especially now when dogs theft is such a problem. If any of you do this, what do you use? My local newsagents will let me pop in but I'm thinking of when I need a few bits from the supermarket.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: do you bring your dog to the shops?

Post by zeta1454 »

We have used a carrier from Outward Hound for a puppy. It is OK for a puppy when very small but can be restrictive for them:

I prefer the pet buggy though as it has more room for the puppy to stretch out, sleep or just sit and look out and is more secure too. We have found the buggy really useful as it has been used for long trips when it would be too much for a young puppy; when visiting vet surgeries; shops and also for our older dogs as well as pups:

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm not sure you would be allowed to take any dog into a place that sells food eg supermarket unless it's an assistance dog. In our local garden centres dogs can go anywhere apart from the indoor cafe area.

Health and safety have gone a bit over the top in some cases but seem especially strict about dogs entering where food is sold
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Mbright
Puppy

Post by Mbright »

I bring our mini into shops on a lead that are dog friendly. If it's a new place, I will ask beforehand. You'd be surprised how many places allow dogs inside. If they're not dog friendly, we wait outside or he stays at home.

I was once waiting outside as my husband popped into Curry's to by a new router. The manager came outside and said he was happy for me to allow my dog inside.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I think it is mostly shops where food is sold that can be a problem although some clothing stores with items on rails may also not want dogs to go in due to worries about dog hair getting on the clothes. It does vary a lot though for sure in the U.K. Some cafes and restaurants have specific dog friendly areas and some stores such as John Lewis allow dogs in most of the store (but not the cafe in our local store). Supermarkets are much less likely to allow dogs and probably best to leave them at home if you do need to shop there.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
machosky
Puppy

Post by machosky »

I have found the small shops often let him in, probably helps that he's a puppy. One good thing of covid is I think the world is becoming more dog friendly :)