Looking for a rescue

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Beryl
First Name: Beryl

Looking for a rescue

Post by Beryl »

I lost my beloved Ellie, a twelve year old miniature in May.
I would buy a miniature puppy but as I am in my eighties now I think a rescue might be more appropriate.
Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Looking for a rescue

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Beryl and welcome to the Forum :)

So sorry to hear of Ellie’s passing. It is heartbreaking when one of our dogs leaves us and there is just such a gap in our lives.

I can understand you considering that a puppy might not be a good idea as you are older now than when you first had Ellie. It is not always as straightforward though to decide on a “rescue” dog just because of your age. Getting a puppy, particularly from a good breeder, does mean that you have the opportunity to train and bring her up to fit in to your home life, routines etc. and she will have no negative past history that may or may not be known to you as can often be the case with a rescue dog. The best breeders will also always be willing to take back a dog they have bred at any time if circumstances arise that mean the owner can no longer care for them. Many shelter dogs will have had a traumatic past and may not be easy to integrate into your home in the way a young puppy from a good background will. They may also have behavioural or health issues which you will only find out after you have adopted them.

If you are looking to re-home a miniature schnauzer, the breed rescue organisations through the schnauzer breed clubs are probably the best ones to contact initially as they may have an older mini who has come to them after their owner has become ill or through family breakdown or bereavement. In these cases there is less likelihood of severe trauma in the past but it will not necessarily mean the dog will not have issues of behaviour and health which you will have to manage. There are a couple of links here:

https://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/rescue.php

There is a contact telephone number at the foot of this webpage for the rescue officer:

http://www.theminiatureschnauzerclub.co ... committee/

If you were in contact with Ellie’s breeder through her lifetime, could you ask her/him about re-homing an older dog? Many breeders who do occasionally re-home an older dog will usually prioritise someone they already know who has had a puppy from them in the past.

Without making any judgement on this myself, I do know that many breeders and rescue organisations will be wary of letting go a puppy or even an older dog to someone in their senior years. This is usually because they are anxious that the dog may outlive the owner and suffer as a result of bereavement and changed ownership. Of course, tragedy can strike in anyone’s family at any age but it is a consideration that may have a negative impact on your search for a new schnauzer companion.

If you are able to get out and about, once the restrictions are lifted, dog shows are beginning to get going again and do offer an opportunity for people to meet breeders in person as do the Discover Dogs events held a couple of times a year usually. It might help if you can meet a breeder face to face to explain your circumstances and see if they can help or recommend someone who would be happy for you to re-home an older dog. I think you will need to explain what support you have, in the event of even temporary illness or accident (as would be the case with any single person taking on a puppy or dog) and to know from whomever you are taking on a dog that they will remain a point of contact and be willing to take her back if the worst happens and you are no longer able to look after her.

I would definitely advise against using any online pet site to find a puppy or dog as these are invariably poorly bred, abused or stolen dogs and you may find the experience traumatic and costly. Personally I do think you are best trying to get to know some miniature schnauzer owners / breeders through the breed clubs, finding out those you trust and feel comfortable with and letting them get to know you and your circumstances and explain your hope of sharing your life with another miniature schnauzer whether puppy or older dog. You could try contacting some of the Kennel Club Assured Breeders who are not too far from you as well and see if you can have a chat with them by phone or send a comprehensive email explaining your circumstances.

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search ... rest=False

Many of the best breeders are part of a network of people passionate about the schnauzer breed and they may know of someone who they could put you in touch with. Do take care though to fully check out anyone who offers you a puppy or an older dog as there are unfortunately far too many criminals involved in selling and stealing dogs for resale at present.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Beryl
First Name: Beryl

Re: Looking for a rescue

Post by Beryl »

Thank you very much for this comprehensive reply. Food for thought!