Differences between the colours?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: Differences between the colours? (currently splitting topic)

Post by Sianny »

I have split this topic at the point of debate, can we try to keep to the OP now please.. you can find where you left off for discipline methods here http://www.schnauzer-forum.co.uk/viewto ... f=4&t=8239
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Re: Differences between the colours?

Post by Tulip »

Can I ask showers and strippers about a difference in the colours?

I was watching a video about rolling the coat (it was one from katewerk.com) and it got me thinking about the colours and where you might strip instead of clipping. For example; do b/s showers strip the chest? Do blacks strip everywhere except the throat, face, and bum?

And a little one for the p/s, does anyone strip the chest but clip the throat? I was thinking of doing this and just clipping the throat and white butterfly and blending, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it as I know that area has to be really tight.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

beth no one strips the areas you mentioned on any of the colours in this country. in parts of europe they strip much more of their dog but here we dont. If you really want to strip i would only do it if you can keep the stripped coat tight or else you will have the same problem as maisy's ears before bournemouth where it looks scruffy and like your dog is not properly finished.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Exactly what I was thinking; ok then, I'll just clip. xxx
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

Yes, showers do strip those areas - the last b/s I showed has a stripped chest, head, ears and I also strip the black in her legs - however on show days the normally clipped areas will be clipped just to tidy up the area. The stripped/coarser hair in the legs give more body and texture to the legs without having to resort to half a can of hairspray! ;o)

I think you are a little hung up on how 'tight' the clip is on the dogs chest, there is a range in the ways people show groom that area, the white exhibitors certainly aren't going to clip to close as you don't want the skin colour showing through the hair.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I think I'm just really worried my dog will look scruffy, as Dannie says, I tried stripping Maisy's ears and they looked like I'd just left them, all whispy and such. I'll have a look at the texture of the pup's coat and see if we can get a tight enough finish to strip more areas. I would like to strip more into the furnishings and have a wire skirt as oppose to a furnishing one?
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

George is, thus far, more treat motivated than Ralphy who is very treat motivated but I learned yesterday that the Tennis Ball trumps all.

We were at the field lastnight, I was clicker training George, we're polishing "watch me" at the moment - and we do this while Dave is throwing the tennis ball with the chucker for Ralphy. I was conscious that Ralphy might feel left out so I called him with his FAVE liver treats to hand "Ralphy.. Ralphy! look! Treats! Ralphy... sit!" all the while, George is sitting and then tilting his head, getting up, moving, sitting again. And Ralphy is literally ignoring me and the treats for the sought after ball ready to be thrown accross the field.

I've noticed George is picking up things alot quicker than Ralphy, dare I say a bit cleverer?
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Oh bless him, Sian! 'Must...stay...put!'

I must say that Maisy is cleverer than Freds; she works things out faster and is far naughtier!
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012

Post by Snazy »

Could be better at learning or it could be you have got better at teaching after practising on Ralph
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

After checking some pics on FB of showers in this country I'm going to strip the bottom of the chest and clip the throat and then blend, if the coat allows me that is, will just keep it tight and strip it the same time as I strip the head. xx
carolobrien
First Name: Carol

Post by carolobrien »

In my experience, mini black schnauzers have the friendliest, most affectionate and tolerant personality. Bark at strangers approaching the door but excellent memory for family and friends.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

We had a pure black mini growing up and I've had two S&Ps of my own. My black mini was female and then I got one of each sex in S&P. Although I was very young with the black mini (Kandi), I didn't really notice much of difference between the two colors. Both colours and sexes were so sweet in demeanor, always wanting to please, learned quickly, obedient, just amazing pups.

We will be welcoming a B&S mini in about a month, I can't wait to meet him and learn all his traits.