Holiday in Norfolk with our dogs

Found a nice dog coat? Found a cozy pub that's Schnauzer friendly or even a Schnauzer friendly B&B. Feel free to share it here. Basically anything that we would want to buy for our Schnauzer goes here.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Holiday in Norfolk with our dogs

Post by zeta1454 »

Finding a dog friendly holiday cottage can be a trial especially when you have eleven dogs and dogs who are used to sharing sofas and chairs with us at home, so we really appreciate it when a company turned out to offer really dog friendly accommodation rather than grudgingly "dog tolerant". We have just come back from a week in Norfolk, close to great beaches and with a comfortable warm cottage to enjoy in the evenings and colder days and a large enclosed garden. Dogs were free of charge, crates and beds available if needed and a bag of homebaked dog treats for the canines on our welcome tray.
Here are some photos from our holiday. Magic (almost 9'years old) seemed to forget she is a great grandmother now and had a whale of a time running and jumping, including leaping over the smallest pool on the beach to avoid getting her paws wet :))

The company we used is East Ruston Cottages:

https://www.eastrustoncottages.co.uk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
zeta1454

Re: Holiday in Norfolk with our dogs

Post by zeta1454 »

And a few more :-)

The cottage:

Enjoying a snooze in the sunny conservatory :-)

Pip:

Pip and Trilby:

Magic:

schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi Leigh sounds a fab place where you were staying. Thanks for the link ...we are already booked ...a dog friendly cottage in Hawes for June we are all looking forward to it.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Leigh, fabulous photos, what a fun time for your furry ones. I can't imagine how much stuff you have to take with you and how long it takes to get everyone ready. Otto takes up our car when we go on holiday and it can be a real song and dance with just one schnauzer...
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Leigh,

Super photo's and what a beautiful place you got. I had a look at their website and loved the line "dog friendly doesn't mean dog eared". The houses look wonderful. I don't know that area of Norfolk at all having never been further south than Cromer.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

The pictures are great, I loved the one of Magic jumping over the pool of water to not get wet :D

It certainly looks like your troupe enjoyed their holiday away :)

And thanks for the link, I have saved the page and will show my wife as this looks ideal for us too, to get away for a long weekend or week.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Christine - look forward to hearing about your holiday in June. It should be warmer weather than we had :))

Julie - you would not believe how much we managed to pack in the car and about 99% for the dogs of course. We had the minimum of clothes for us in two carrier bags. We are pretty well organised with getting the dogs in the car though and they are used to these 'pack journeys' now since we started the visits to the dog park with them.

Sam - we have only used the one cottage twice now but they all look really well furnished and comfortable. Our main reason for choosing this one was its close proximity to the beach - a 5 minute walk from the property. Sadly we were disappointed this time to discover on arrival that due to serious cliff erosion during recent storms, the beach access was blocked. We were able to access the beach a bit further away but it did entail a short car journey (which we had hoped to avoid). However, it was a very minor issue really and we did take advantage of two different beaches this way which was good as we found new places for the dogs to enjoy.

Mike - Thank you - Magic is such a funny girl at times. She really does hate getting her paws wet. I would highly recommend the company - they are friendly and helpful and have some lovely cottages available with either beach or country walks nearby for the dogs :)

schnauzer

Post by schnauzer »

Leigh have you really got eleven dogs ???? I know what it's lke just packing for one dog. I'm really looking forward to the Cottage in Hawes, it's quite new & when I booked it there was plenty dates available but has now filled up fast...has excellent reviews xx

Has anyone been to Hawes or the surrounding area. A couple of years ago we went to a cottage in Whitby/Scarborough area with Suzi it was fabulous too unfortunately it wasn't the best of weather but I'm so looking forward to the break but hope to have a few before June

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Yes, Christine - eleven dogs (3 mini schnauzers and 8 affenpinschers). Sometimes we have dogs which we have bred over the years returning here for holidays when their families are abroad and the number can go up - we had 15 (4 extra schnauzers) for a short while last year. They are all small dogs though and don't seem to take up much room. This photo from January 2018 shows ten of our dogs but we have another Affenpinscher now who is coming up to a year old:

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

You are a super Mum Leigh. I am very envious of your colourful fur family :) Are you showing any of your little black "monkeys" at Crufts this year?
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Thank you Julie :-)

Judith will be showing our youngest affen, Phoebe, at Crufts this year. Some of the others had qualified but with the journey and the long day at the show it is better for them to stay overnight at a hotel so easier to take just one while I am home with the rest of the family.

This is Phoebe (who was not in the previous picture):

schnauzer

Post by schnauzer »

Gosh Leigh I thought you only had Schnauzers good on you & well done as Julie says you are a super Mum & doing a great job you deserve a medal. When I had Suzi I used to think I would of liked another then I met someone walking their Mini & we got chatting & to cut a long story short I ended up dog sitting her B & S boy Benito when she was working. I enjoyed having him then they moved away but we are still good friends, now Benito comes when his Mum goes on holiday. We have been a few times for overnights to their home & my Gino loves Benito who is now 8yrs old. Now that I'm a bit older I have to say that Gino will be an only one now as I thought I would only ever have Suzi in my life as we didn't get her until George got early retirement in 2004. Then when I lost her in 2017 I just had to have another to ease the pain & we got Gino who is now 21 months he's a super wee boy.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

She is adorable Leigh. I don't really understand why they aren't more popular :-\ I am going on Utility/Toy day so might go and have a look at the affens, although I generally fall in love with every dog I see at the show :)
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Leigh,

One question I have to ask is how do you split your time between them, in terms of affection/play etc?

When we got Oscar, he was on his own for two years and so had my/our undivided attention, I found it tough when Sasha came along to try and ensure they both had the same amount of special time. I'm sure that is more me worrying than them, they probably didn't worry!

Did you face that dilemma or are you a bit more in the "they can play amongst themselves" camp? *That wasn't meant to be rude but you know there are two types of owners I think, the 'softies' which unfortunately I am and the more 'practical' owners :)

I would love to add to our gang but having two can be enough when going out for walks/holidays.

Thanks
Mike
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

mikegoodson1 wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 10:09
I would love to add to our gang but having two can be enough when going out for walks/holidays.
Mike, I think I belong to the same school of thought as you. How many schnauzers do you need? One more than you currently have :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/