What Camera?

Pictures of all our other pet family or friends and help and advice on photographing our Schnauzers.
Darwinsmum

What Camera?

Post by Darwinsmum »

I've decided to take my photography up a notch and invest in a SLR camera with a view to taking it more seriously, at the moment I dabble with my little digital camera and use the photos for greeting cards etc. So you photographers out there can you recommend a decent camera suitable for a beginner but not so basic that it would need changing after a year. I've also been looking at photography courses if anyone can recommend any too.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
tosca

Re: What Camera?

Post by tosca »

I started with the Olympic OM1 and I still have it, it took lovely photo's, I keep saying I will sell it but some how just bear to part with it.
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

I have always used Canon cameras and currently have an Ixus compact camera and a 450D SLR which I find to be an excellent camera but I think any of the current SLR's on offer would be more than adequate for your needs.
If you work out how much you want to spend you could go onto Amazon and find out which models would be in the running and then you could find an online review for each of them.
When I was getting mine I had a lot of help from Ric who posts as "Molly". He's not around as much now but I'm sure that if you sent him a PM he would be more than happy to help out. You will probably remember some of his fantastic action shots of Molly at agility.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I would go for a Nikon D60 or D40 - really easy to use, and come with a nice kit lens to play with before you go for a bigger one! Good girl for investing in it, I can't wait to see some lovely Schnauzer shots!
ziggy
Site Admin

Post by ziggy »

Afraid I can't really help with SLR, but recently invested in a panasonic FZ45, which is classed as a bridge camera & in my humble opinion is fabulous
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Some good tips, thanks guys, will have to sort finances and go from there.
puppypower

Post by puppypower »

Well I went for the Sony Alpha and happy so far but not been using it that much I used these guys to buy it as you get an extended warrenty and a free case

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/?gclid=CJy ... fAod8Bb-1A

And when you take that perfect photo snap mad do a 24"X20" canvas print delivered for £19.99 got one for Mum for Christmas and its great quality.

http://www.snapmad.com/index.php
Dawn (human) and my monochromatic friend Jasper, born 4th April 09 my Mini Schnauzer to the rescue

The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.
- Unknown
Dollie

Post by Dollie »

About a year and a half ago I was looking for a new camera and I wanted the same things you want now. I bought a Canon EOS 1000D and I'm still very glad I did!
May your joy be as long as a rabbits ears and your sorrow as short as its tail.
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Right I've decided on the camera (Canon 60d) now to the lenses, there are various bundles what mm lenses do you find the most useful?

I've never taken so much time to buy anything before!! (except Mia [laughing] )
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Wooooo! Congrats!

You'll probably want the kit lens (which is normally 18-55mm) and a telephoto (normally 50-200mm) so you can get nice and close and it's also nice for portraits if you're doing dogs, as they're more relaxed a little bit away as oppose to posed.

If you want to do things like scenery, you might want a wide-angle so you can get the whole frame in - I'm awful at landscapes, though!

I have a macro that's 70-300mm which is excellent for both telephoto stuff and close stuff like plants and bugs. :D
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Thanks Tulip, am going to see what bundles they can put together and then anything else will have to wait till next Christmas lol
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

It is an expensive hobby, but it's SO rewarding! I've just started a photo a day project, one colour to focus on each month before montaging them all at the end of the year month by month, so it's like a little rainbow!

I really, really cannot wait to see your results, missus!
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

I would generally agree with Beth but I think you'll find that the standard lens should normally give you a bit of zoom up to 70 or 80 mm and down to somewhere around 20 for wide angle. If you look at an area with your eye what you see is equivalent to a 50 mm lens. A nice standard lens should give you a bit of zoom and a bit of wide angle.
The 200 mm that Beth suggested would be an excellent choice for your "big" lens but if you have deep pockets go for a 400 mm.
Great choice of camera by the way.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Chestersmum
First Name: nikki
Dog #1: chester
Born: 22 Apr 2008

Post by Chestersmum »

I'm no expert but I've seen photo's that tulip has taken and they are always beautiful
Owned by Chester, Black & Silver Mini and my little ray of sunshine
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Thank you my lovely, that's very sweet of you to say so. xx