So sad - I think it's time

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Ro Peach
First Name: Rosemary
Dog #1: Sophie
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 08 Jan 1999

So sad - I think it's time

Post by Ro Peach »

I am writing this in a flood of tears but somehow it's helpful to know others will understand what my OH and I are going through.
On Monday and Tuesday night Sophie had a fit that she has not fully recovered from. She has had a fit nearly once a month for the past year but has always recovered well in the past. Not this time though. On Wednesday we rushed her to an all night emergency vet because we thought she was partly unconscious. By the time we got there she seemed to rally and there was little they could do. The vet did a brief neurological exam to check if there were any brain legions but said he could not detect anything. She was walking about the surgery slowly so we took her home. On Saturday we took her to our own vet who said she thought it was likely to be a brain tumour but even with an MRI scan would not be that helpful because of her age (15 and a half) they would not want to operate even if this was possible. We also do not want her to go through any invasive treatment at this stage. So, the vet prescribed diazepam and some Vitatomine and we took her home.
Last night was terrible. She started yelping and rushing around very distressed. We were up all night trying to comfort her but she did not want to be touched. Today she has had difficulty standing. She yelps every so often from being asleep and then tries to get up only to lie down again. There have been periods when she has seemed OK and is eating and drinking well. I don't think she really knows where she is though or who we are.
I just don't know what to do with myself. My OH and I keep bursting into tears. We know the time has come to end her life but it is so hard. We can't bear to think she is suffering but keep hoping for a miracle. She is now peacefully asleep in her bed but are steeling ourselves to phone the vet in the morning to arrange for her to be put to sleep.
She is so much part of our lives we cannot imagine not having her with us and we love her so much.
I'm sorry for having to write such a distressing post. It is helpful though to write it. I can't believe how quickly this has happened. We were hoping to go on the Ashridge walk with her in August.
Chloe always in my heart. Salt and pepper mini 1999 - 2012
Sophie my amazing black mini 1999 - July 2014
Wookie Woo
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Wookie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 01 Sep 2009

Re: So sad - I think it's time

Post by Wookie Woo »

So sad to read your post, only you & your other half can make the decision & it's really the most awful decision Gary & I have ever had to make when our beautiful cocker Lucy had T Cell lymphoma, to cut a long story short she was 8 in Feb 2011, in march we found out she had it, the vet hoped it was contained in her spleen & removed that but it had spread & after bouncing back well from the spleen removal we lost her in just under 5 weeks from the op, Gary & I have been together since 1993 & I've never seen him cry but bloody hell did we both cry & on & off for some time after, but like you we knew it was time. One of the horrible things was that Lucy went downhill Saturday night / Sunday morning & we couldn't get our vet, we had to ring the emergency vet early Sunday morning (couldn't leave it till Monday just to have our vet) then had to wait till our appointment at 4.15pm all day looking at Lucy & crying knowing what we were going to do at 4.15 obviously lucy didn't know but must have thought why are they crying so much & why am I getting even more cuddles & kisses than normal :ymhug: xx
Helen & Gary - owners of "Wookie" (since 11.6.2011)  born 1.9.2009 (Mini Schnauzer)
Previously owned Lucy our lovely cocker spaniel.
http://www.happydogwalksandpetcare.co.uk/
Jules

Post by Jules »

Hi- so sorry to read this. At this time there are few words that will comfort.Please don't feel you need to apologise when you are writing what is real for you and your OH.What a smashing age she is- I can't imagine the experiences and memories you have. It sounds like you and OH know the inevitable time has come, I guess that is the first step.

Take care, Im sure others here will have experienced similar experience.

Jules x
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Heart goes out to you, but you know what you need to do for your dear Sophie.
Losing your pet & treasured companion is the worst inevitability of having a dog, yet I strongly believe being able sometimes to make the decision to aid the ending of their life is part of that responsibility.
I recommend having the vet come to your home, so Sophie can be in her familiar environment and it is more peaceful for all. We went through it not so long ago when we had to make the decision for our terrier Monty, who we lost quite suddenly to liver cancer. Afterwards it was a comfort to know we were with him at the last & he was in peace and pain free. Of course we were both in bits during the day leading up to the appointment time and after, but we knew it had to be done.
Thoughts are with you & Sophie, be strong for her :ymhug:
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Gutted to read your post . She's a good age and has lived well with you. My last schnauzer fitted a lot towards the end and I didn't have to face your decision as a fit led to her passing in the end at just 12 years of age.

Think of her and do what your heart tells you. It's very hard but take solace in the knowledge you're doing the right thing.
Gary
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Oh Rosemary :(( How heartbreaking for you :(

It really is the worst part of pet ownership but after 15 and a half years of loyal, loving, care for you and your OH you know that you have to do your last act of kindness for Sophie, however hard it is for you :( It sounds as though if you don't have to do it tomorrow it will be some day very soon :(

I hope tonight goes better than the last few and that tomorrow can be as calm and peaceful as possible. Big, big :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: to all of you.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
elizdavies0
First Name: Elizabeth
Dog #1: Ffion
Born: 12 Apr 2011

Post by elizdavies0 »

This is the moment that we all dread ~ and we can all imagine your heartache. Hugs to you and to your precious Sophie.
terryc
First Name: Terry

Post by terryc »

Very very sad, but in your heart, you know the decision you will have to make.
It happend to me last year, Saffy our 7 year old Cairn Terrier had acute kidney failure. the RVC did all they could, ops, scans, etc. From the time we knew she was ill to making the decision was 10 days. It was a terrible time.
But like Morgan99 we decided to do the dreadful deed at home, in the garden. Looking back I think it helped (as much as it could at the time). My Son and Daughter came home from work, my wife held her, we all said our goodbyes and she drifted off. Heartbreaking.
I hope you can find it in your hearts to do the right thing for Sophie.
My thoughts are with you.
Terry
Arbormalc
First Name: Malcolm
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 01 Mar 2006
Dog #2: Ziva
Born: 06 Jun 2009
Dog #3: Pippa
Born: 05 Dec 2012

Post by Arbormalc »

OMG - I didn't shed a tear, but only just, when we had to have our Toby (14 1/2) pts a few weeks ago, but did just now.

The sentiments above are all correct, it is the hardest part of being a pet owner and only you can make that decision - BUT you know your Sohpie like no one else.

Just remember that - "It's hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember". NOT that i'm suggesting you would, I just think it's a lovely quote at such a time.

I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

x
Owned by - 3x Mini's (all rescues). Oscar 8 and Ziva 5 and Pippa 18mths. and our gorgeous new rescue 14mth old Tanya - our very first Giant!!!
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Awful, awful, awful. No words make it better. Time will.
Hugs and deepest well wishes & strength for you all right now.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

=(( =(( =(( :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

so very sorry to read this,
its sadly something that we all have to deal with at some point...but it is never never an easy thing to do, that's for sure
You have I'm sure shared such great times with Sophie, and now you know its a decision that you have to make for her, sending hugs and thinking of you xx
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
milosark2
First Name: vicky
Dog #1: Milo
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 27 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Darcey
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 27 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Inka
Born: 07 Jan 2016
is a: Black Std Bitch

Post by milosark2 »

So sorry to read your truly sad post. Wishing you great strength and many many blessings to dear Sophie :ymhug:
Al T

Post by Al T »

Welling up here....can only offer you that my thoughts are with you....one of those sayings you get loads of on Facebook & the like, but one I kept was 'Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened'...I'm keeping that term handy for when the inevitable happens to us...
Sincerest regards,
Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

So so sorry to read this, exactly the same happened to us with our beloved Sydney in exactly the same manner. My motto was when the bad days outweighed the good then it was time. It all happened very quickly for us and he was in the emergency vet late on the sunday night where I wanted them to put him to sleep but they sent us home, we had a terrible night and I slept with him on the kitchen floor in front of a nice warm aga, then I packed all his stuff up and without any appointment took him to our vets first thing in the morning and waited outside for the staff to turn up and I said goodbye to my special man who I insisted on being left in his bed in the car, there was no way he was going back in the vets. Still makes me cry now and I am crying for your pain that you are going through now, be strong for your little lady, you are doing the best for her :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug
Last edited by Claire Farrington on 28 Jul 2014, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011