flea treatment

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
mariamomiji
Puppy
First Name: maria

flea treatment

Post by mariamomiji »

I think I need to treat my new miniature for fleas asap. He is twelve weeks old and was collected Saturday but has not stopped itching and p pulling at fur since he came home. I think I can see fleas but not sure. What brand is best for this breed/age. He needs something or he will make himself bleed.

Thanks
Nika C
First Name: danika
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 1- 0

Re: flea treatment

Post by Nika C »

It would be unusual for a breeder to not have treated before allowing a pup to leave for their new home, please do check with them what product was used and when before giving any treatment as giving too much can cause bad reactions. Once you know I would ring your vet to advise on what the course of action should be.
In the meantime, if you can see bite marks I would smother them in aloe vera gel to help relieve the itch, just until you know what to do next.
Good luck!
gravemaurice
First Name: Beth
Dog #1: Gracie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Feb 2013

Post by gravemaurice »

I would suggest taking him to the vet for a check up if you've only just got him and they will be able to advise as well as give him the once over to check that there aren't any other issues that need treating.
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

gravemaurice wrote:I would suggest taking him to the vet for a check up if you've only just got him and they will be able to advise as well as give him the once over to check that there aren't any other issues that need treating.
I also agree that you should book an appointment up with the vet - always best to get a new pup checked over, and they can offer lots of advice re flea treatment etc
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I wouldn't buy any over the counter flea or worm treatment as they are either dangerous (google Bob Martin) or ineffective.

With both of mine I took them to the vet to be checked over within days of them coming home and to get recommendations on flea and worm treatment as each area can be different. For example we don't have a big tic problem around here so I don't need something that covers them.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage