Diabetes

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Re: Diabetes

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue

I'm glad that Lexi is happier in herself. I know the weight loss is hard to bear, but the fact she has rallied and is enjoying life at the moment is testament to how gutsy these little dogs are ^:)^

Things are back on more of an even keel here too. Being down to one eye hasn't curbed Alfie's ability to be a Grade A tinker and he's managing pretty well. That said, he doesn't want to lose any weight as he's a bit on the petite side. Touch wood, Duke has put a lot back on and even regained a fair bit of muscle tone :-bd I'm sure it's only a lull before the next storm, but let's keep fingers, toes and paws crossed our pups stay ok as long as possible :ympray:

Take care xx
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
sue+lex
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Lexi (died 6/10/16)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Jun 2004
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2016

Post by sue+lex »

Thanks for the reply Alison glad to hear Alfie is coping well they really are such brave little dogs Lexi will have the odd full body shudder when she gets close to something she isn't sure of ie walking past a parked car etc but that is about as bad as it gets...But really pleased these dogs are coping so well with all that's flung at them and long may it continue that way you take care to and hopefully will speak again soon...Sue
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thank you Jill for the info you have given us but I think (haven't been told)that Lexis problems are much deeper than the Diabetes she has Liver Disease a heart murmur to what extent her Liver Disease has developed to we haven't a clue the vet sees her monthly doesn't monitor her Diabetes any more he told us a few visits back that he could do no more for her and she may have a month to 5 years so we are just going along with keeping her happy and as comfortable as possible but thank you so much for your input really grateful you took the time to write it..Your girl did really well 21/2 years you should be really proud of your achievements with her ...Once again thank you ...Sue
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Just a quick update Lexi is still doing fine ...She is totally blind now but copes really well we have to hold her down for a minute if she starts a zoomie as she runs into things ...The only worry we have at the moment is she is still losing weight she is down to 7.6 now and she is eating 3 times the food she used to before this reared it's ugly head but on the whole pleased we are doing ok...Take care all and hope your dogs are all ok...Sue :)
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Hi everyone yesterday 6/10/16 we had to have Lexi put to sleep she had been having trouble walking since last Thursday a trip to the vets resulted in her being put on Tramadol she was dragging her back left leg and after a walk of about 50 yards was having to be carried home ..Thursday morning this week morning walk the same at 5am I went to work and when my husband tried to get her out for her jobbies at 9am she couldn't walk so hubby rushed her to the vets and Simon our vet said it had spread to her spine ..Now I have been asking if he thought it could be cancer his reply was you would need a scan to find out but I wouldn't have thought Liver Disease and diabetes would spread to her spine ..But she is now at peace and out of pain but I am missing her so much the house is empty without her she was such a large character ...Thank you all so much for the info posted on her illness as it has been a huge help to me ...Enjoy your wonderful Schnauzers large and small they are a very special breed take care and a very sad me will leave you in peace x
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So very sad to hear your news.
Thinking of you and sending hugs :ymhug: :ymhug:
RIP sweet Lexi xx
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

So sorry to read this Sue :( :(
Having cared for a diabetic dog...I know how difficult it is to deal with the problems it brings.
Lexi had a wonderful life with you, my thoughts are with you at this time xx
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Post by Champ629 »

So very sorry to read this.

Thinking of you Sue, you did your very best for Lexi.
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
bob
Puppy

Post by bob »

Hi

sorry about your dogs diabetes , My female dog has been a diabetic for nearly 2 years and has 2 insulin jabs a day.
I started off with a vet pen but my vet seemed to think that I got better results with a needle so I use that twice a day.
Simple once you get used to it. With a schnauzer it matters where you inject.
The back of the neck is quite thick so move your jab down a bit.

Research by my vet indicates that you inject first and 30 minutes later feed. They need 3 feeds a day to keep blood sugar correct.

You will find that it can take some weeks / mths to get the dosage right , I have been as high as 17 units twice a day but eventually 9 units twice a day works.

I now check the fat content carefully and this seems to work , my girl was 14 last week

Don't give up just persevere and give them love

Bob