Diabetes

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke

Re: Diabetes

Post by Morgana99 »

Goodness, Sue, so sorry to hear you & Lexi are still being put through the mill. Lexi seems to be so resilient, but I'm sure your nerves and emotions are in shreds :ymhug:

I will keep everything crossed Lexi is now over another hurdle and will be able to stabilise again, bless her.

Touch wood, things are well with my two at present. We're off for another check up on Dukes eyes on Friday, so I'll post an update if there's something to report from that.

Wishing you all the best xx
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

sorry to hear that Lexi is having a difficult time Sue,
hopefully once she is eating better again, she can regain some of that lost weight
sending :ymhug: to both of you x
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Sorry to hear that things have been so traumatic recently but fingers and paws crossed here that Lexi will continue to improve now. Sending hugs :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Hi Sue, I've just read this and I am so sorry to hear you and Lexi are having problems again, life sure is a bitch at times. Try to stay positive and enjoy every day as if its your last together, I hope your luck soon changes for the better. Take care ;)
sue+lex
Dog #1: Lexi (died 6/10/16)
Born: 16 Jun 2004
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2016

Post by sue+lex »

Thank you all for your replies she is really doing well now you wouldn't think this time last week I was thinking the end was nigh,but she really has lost her appetite and found an Elephants, you can't fill her the vet said it was an infection that caused all that strife but yes she really is a brave little trooper she is coping so well with her disabilities though she doesn't enjoy her last walk in the dark ..Hopefully she will put on some weight so she has something to back her up if anything like this rears it's ugly head again she doesn't deserve all this as she is such an honest little thing and so loving...I am learning to cope with these issues now at first as you probably realise I hit the panic button but am much more easy with it all now and hopefully we will enjoy a few more trips around the country before her time is up ...Take care all and thank you
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hear, hear. It rips your heart out when things go wrong for them. They are so stoic about coping with everything thrown at them. You're doing a great job of supporting her - go Lexi! :ymhug: xx
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thank you Alison she has at the moment another water infection so more antibiotics I can't understand why she keeps getting all these infections she started with this one Tuesday she started wetting herself again but again today you wouldn't think there was a thing wrong with her she has been playing like a puppy again Hope your boys are well and yourself of course Take care ....Sue
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Quick update on Lexi she is still doing really well though her eyesight is deteriorating she still has some vision in daylight but very poor at night but she is still bright eating well and enjoying her walks albeit smaller walks than we used to have she put .3 of a kilo on when weighed at her last vet visit and he doesn't need to see her for 7 weeks he has stopped her curves so just taking one day at a time now and enjoying our lovely little girl ....
redalert
Dog #1: Fizz
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Hi Sue, lovely to hear from you again regarding Lexi, I am really pleased that she is enjoying her life again but its sad to hear her eye sight is failing her, my mum had a Cocker, Oscar who lost his sight but, as long as you don't move furniture around etc they do manage to carry on living a happy life, poor Oscar lost his hearing as well in the end so mum thought it kinder to have him PTS although I seem to remember he was at least 11/12. As you say, enjoy every day with her, spoil her rotten, give her lots of kisses and cuddles as I am sure you already do.
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue, so glad to hear Lexi is finally putting some weight back on :D . With our two, this did seem to indicate we were getting somewhere with stabilising the condition. Sorry to hear about her worsening eyesight, but if she's better in other ways, she can still be happy and it's amazing how well dogs adapt :ymhug: xx
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Hello and thanks for the replies once again Alison and Sue I forgot to mention Lexi is very deaf too but she is coping well the only thing is she is very nervous at times I only went to clip her lead on yesterday and she cowered down as if I was going to beat her she has never even had a smack in her lifetime so don't know where that came from but after a love and kisses she was ok I must have just been a little quick in my movements I have a lot to learn too ...She had a bath and was groomed yesterday no problems at all with that so on the whole we are doing ok...Hope all your dogs are doing well and thank you so much for your help and advice over the months ...Sue :)
mactavsy
Puppy
First Name: Rusty

Post by mactavsy »

Hello Sue,

I've been reading through your story with Lex and the diabetes. Our mini who is 12 next month was diagnosed just over a month ago so it has really helped to read some of the posts. We have been moving from 3 units upwards and are now at 5 and finally the glucose levels have started to come down although are still too high. We are due for another curve in a week.
What a difference though from such a lively, fun little fella to a thin, rather lifeless old boy (with the odd little burst of energy). He's not a spring chicken anymore but the diabetes has really knocked him for six. But we're following the vet's advice and feeding twice a day with diabetic food followed by the jab, have cut out virtually all treats (he can't understand this!). Walks are a bit trickier as we have a younger mini with lots of energy and he potters very slowly.... but we manage. I'm just getting later and later to work! Just hoping we will find the right dose soon and he will start to put some weight back on.

So thanks to you and others for sharing your experiences.

Hope all your diabetic minis carry on doing well.
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Hello Mactavsy and thankyou for your post hope your boy soon gets stable it's horrible to watch the way they so suddenly change from a youthful energetic boy/girl to an older dog so quickly last before last june Lexi was a lively love everything everybody sort of dog now she sleeps most of the time worries a lot but we still get a glimpse of the old Lexi cheeky naughty puppy like dog she never did really grow up she is nearly 12, by the way Lexi is on 8 units morning and night but she is having no more curves as she has Hyperlipidemea (Liver Disease) and they can do no more for her except the tablets she is on but there are lots of positives on here for dogs with Diabetes and they have helped me loads from my initial panic ...Keep us informed on how your boy is doing (what's his name? )I am sure you will get a lot of support and help from people on here that have or have had this problem with their Schnauzers ..Take care and hopefully will have a chat again soon ...Sue :)
mactavsy
Puppy
First Name: Rusty

Post by mactavsy »

Thank you, Sue. Lex has quite a bit going on there, poor fella. I think as long as they're not in pain, that's the main thing. Just want Louis to put on a bit of weight, there's nothing of him ! I'm getting the hang of the injections better now too and he's so good. Just stands there, waiting after his meal. Such good natured dogs, these minis :) (*)
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

They are such forgiving little dogs aren't they I use to say to Lexi come on for your pin and she was there in a shot a little more difficult now with her hearing loss but she just lets you pick her up and put her on the sofa to have it ...She also loves her trips to the vets more people to get a fuss off we call it Butlins as she gets excite when going there can't wait to get through the doors....Hope you Louis soon stablizes and gets his weight gain which I am sure he will...Take care and a big hug for Louis from us :)