Diabetes

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
mactavsy
Puppy
First Name: Rusty

Re: Diabetes

Post by mactavsy »

If Lex is happy to visit the vet, that's a bonus.
Louis is ok about going but is getting fed up with the all-day curves. Ah well, they're not ready to end as the glucose levels have shot up again so upping the insulin.
Thanks for your kind words :)
sue+lex
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Lexi (died 6/10/16)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Jun 2004
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2016

Post by sue+lex »

Hope they manage to stablise Louis soon I think the curves are horrible for them our vet has stopped Lexi's curves now as I think her Liver is causing her the Diabetes problems he said he can't do any more for her just keep her on the medication she is on now she is still losing weight and getting weaker we did a walk this morning that used to take us about 15 minutes it took us 45 minutes she just stops and you have to coax her on but at least she did it without me having to carry her ..She seems very fearful when out now she does whole body shivers when people pass and other dogs bikes etc go past, as where I walk it is a cycle/footpath that goes for miles without having to cross roads and is just outside our gate...all my good wishes and healing thoughts to your pup take care ...Sue :)
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

Sue, my Molly got to the stage where she was so fearful and upset about going into the vets for curves, we stopped them too. I then was lucky enough to have a vet who did home visits and he use to do blood tests to check to see how her glucose levels had been over several weeks and he also had to do bloods for her thyroid condition too - she was more comfortable being at home whilst these were done.
Its so difficult and sad when the weight drops, I use to give her fresh fish etc to encourage her to eat, sometimes it worked...sometimes it didn't - at the end of the day we do what we can don't we Sue.
I know with Molly the weight loss along with some muscle tone made it more difficult for her to do some of the walks we had previously enjoyed, we changed it to little and often walks as she still liked to go out.
I wish Lexi well and you take care too Sue. x
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
mactavsy
Puppy

Post by mactavsy »

I agree, Chris, watching the weight fall off is sad. Bewildering really as in our case he has an enormous appetite. We've kept the fur long for warmth and to hide the bones :(
But still, on the positive side, the glucose levels have dropped again and he's been quite sprightly.
We have a bit of respite from the curve - 3 week gap :)
Best wishes to all
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Hi all and thanks once more for the good wishes and advice Lexi is much the same as last post we have had a vet visit in between and she has to go again tomorrow but I think he wants to restart the curves again which I think would be a bad idea as she is so fearful now when out of the house environment so I am going to suggest if she needs them for us to take her there as often as is needed rather than her stay in a cage fretting as we only live about 5mins away in the car I know she would just freak if we left her now she is now totally blind but manages really well in the house her hearing is minimal she can hear if you raise your voice she is now only 7.6 kilos a huge
drop from 10,5 she is eating 3 times the amount of food she used to be on so this is what is worrying me she also wets herself a lot more now even though she is taken out every 2 hours throughout the day...But beyond all this gloom she still tries to play but we have to watch that she doesn't get too excited as she tries to go into a wall of death and that would be catastrophic lol...Keep well all and your pets speak soon ...Sue :)
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

Sue - I totally agree with you re the curve testing for Lexi. my Molly use to get in such a state when left at the vets too...so much so that I questioned how accurate the curve readings would be given how uptight and fearful she was whilst there. In the end we too use to visit the vets several times during the day for them to get the readings. We were also lucky enough to change to a mobile vet in our area who use to come to my house, and Molly was indeed far more relaxed then.
She often use to get water infections causing her to have accidents in the house, a short course of antibiotics use to clear it up. - Your vet can check a wee sample to see if she has an infection or not.
I wish Lexi well, and you too Sue x
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
mactavsy
Puppy

Post by mactavsy »

Hi Sue,
Your pool old girl.
I don't know how feasible this is, but a lady I know whose dog needed to have regular blood tests used to do it herself and said it was easy to do. Might be worth asking the vet?
All the best,
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thanks once again for all your replies much appreciated...Vet said he wouldn't restart her curves her glucose was 14,4 don't know how high that is he said it was high but wasn't changing her dosage ..She gets awful thirsts for about 2hours after her insulin then it all seems to settle down her accidents are quite far between so we are not worried too much on that score and she has only just finished a course of antibiotics she only seems to go about 3 weeks between courses and then up pops another infection...I worry that he can't do much more for her but won't say he is not a very talkative vet and not too approachable in his manner but he seems a good vet and loves the animals just not good with humans lol...But besides all of this she still seems happy with her lot bless her she really doesn't deserve this as a nicer natured dog it would be hard to find..Take care all and big hugs to all your pets out there ...Sue :)
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue
Sorry to hear Lexi is still having problems. Sounds like she is in the 20% of dogs with Diabetes who remain unstable, despite all the right things being done by their owners. In her case, probably the fact she has other things going on also doesn't help, poor girl & poor you as I know you are doing everything you can for her. I agree it is not desirable to keep putting Lexi through curve tests. We've found they are ok up to a point and the logic is sound. However, doing them too frequently isn't ideal, especially if the procedure stresses the dog.

At one point when Duke's levels were all over the place, we were shown how to use a Glucometer, which we used ourselves at home to measure & record the readings at intervals through the day. This involves taking very small blood samples from the ear & once you get the knack of doing it, isn't too bad and the readings can help the vet work out the insulin dose in a similar way to a curve. Maybe this could be an option? Also, we haven't tried it, but a friend of mine manages to control her dog's levels quite effectively, using dip sticks to test his urine on a daily basis and adjust the insulin accordingly. Finally, but you would have to discuss with your vet, lol, it could be a different type of insulin would suit Lexi better if the Caninsulin (which I assume she is in) isn't doing the job well enough ....

I'm also sorry to hear your vet hasn't improved his people communication skills. A good relationship where you are able to ask questions and voice your concerns & for your vet to listen to you when you describe Lexi's clinical symptoms is also a vital part of diabetic care. However, at this point, like you, I think you have to stick with him ( at least if there isn't someone else you could ask to see in the same practice?). The reason I say this is if you went somewhere else, they would no doubt want to go back to basics and do all the tests over again, which wouldn't be in Lexi's best interests.

Chin up & big hugs xx
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Sending hugs to you and Lexi and hope things stabilise soon xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Hi and once again thankyou...Lexi is back on antibiotics yet again (water infection ) she seems so much better after only 2 days back on this her thirsts are not so bad and she looses that pinched look she has, she is a really hard dog to read what she is going through as she is a real little trooper really brave the last dog we had was a big wus but lovely lol...She was a lot better today went for a decent walk and she wasn't hanging back...I don't think that changing vets at this point would be the answer he seems a good vet he sits on the floor with her she likes him a lot and he always says she is a happy little dog just can't get him to say much about her condition and what to expect perhaps I am looking for the wrong thing in him as he always phones us back if there is any worries we have about her it's just he doesn't talk to us when we go there much....Hope your boys are doing well Alison ...Enjoy the holiday weekend all and bye for now Thanks once again..Sue :)
bob
Puppy

Post by bob »

Sue

Hi

I have a Female mini called Tia , She developed Diabetes some 18 mths ago and do not worry ,you soon get used to injections, avoid the back of the neck as the skin is very thick and does not always absorb insulin. If you have problems with syringe consider a vet pen . You dial the dose and press a button and the insulin comes in the form of a cartridge.

It can take while to get the dosage right but persevere .

Pancreatitis can be a problem so check for the lowest fat content in food,

I buy my Insulin on line with a prescription at 50% of vets prices

If you want to talk let me know

You will get used to it now it is diagnosed

Bob Ross
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thanks for the reply Bob we use a vetpen for Lexi she has had Diabetes diagnosed for nearly 12 months now but later last year she was also diagnosed with Hyperlipidemia we just can't seem to get her stable on the insulin even though we are really religious in her medication as I work 2 days a week starting at 7am I am up at 5am when she is out to do her jobs then fed and she has her insulin at 6.30 as I leave for work and then we repeat at 6.30 in the evenings this means we are up at 5 am everyday my it makes the days longer and our jobs get done earlier lol....The vet has stopped her curves and did say he can't do any more for her and said she may have 1 month or 5 years so I really think now to take each day as a bonus with her she does have off days and has to have antibiotics regular as she keeps getting infections , she is blind and almost deaf can hear you if you raise your voice or clap your hands...We are doing ok as the insurance is covering her costs at the moment and all in all she is a happy little dog ...Thank you so much for your post and hope your little dog is keeping ok ...Sue :) PS where do you inject as you say the skin is thick around her neck but she seems to feel it more if you move site
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

HI all just a quick update on Lexi she is keeping really well she hasn't needed antibiotics for about 2months now (touch wood) she is well in herself she tries to have zoomies around the lounge but we have to hold her down as she would run into furniture and hurt herself ...The only downside is she is still loosing weight she is now down to 7.75 and she is so thin now she eats double the amount of food as she did before all of this but the weight keeps dropping off...But on the bright side she is happy and a lot better in herself of late ..Hope you and your dogs are all well ...Sue
Jillybeans
Puppy
First Name: Jill

Post by Jillybeans »

Hiya
Sorry to hear your wee one has been going through a hard time .
Some years ago , about 2005 I think, one of out two minis contracted diabetes. She started to drink lots and couldn't control her pee-ing. We found the kitchen floor to be sticky even after we had cleaned up so took her to the vet when she was diagnosed.

His advice was to consider pts as his experience wAs that she would probably last for only 4-6 months and a quick release would be best.

We decided against that and embarked on an extended trial of insulin injections twice daily using graduated colour indicator strips dipped in her pee twice daily at the same time each day. It took several months to find the "right" combination of feeding / doses but eventually we succeeded. We kept an Excel spreadsheet colour coded chart updated daily which our vet has used several times since to show new diabetes dog owners what to expect and the timescales for things happening

Cutting a long story short ... Megan stayed with us for 2 1/2 years longer.we continued the twice daily pee collections 6am and 6pm to adjust her dose when required but she stayed healthy and content.

We lost her to cancer when she was 11 but have no regrets re the huge commitment we took to keep her healthy.

I hope our positive experience helps you and your wee dog continue the "battle"
It's hard work and can be physically and mentally demanding but you'll never regret it.
Best regards
Jill
Monty .. P&S mini .. First puppy .. 1983/1999 .. 16 years old
Megan .. P&S mini .. Re homed 1998 .. 1996/2007 .. 11 years old
Poppy .. P&S mini .. Rescued 2008 .. 2001/2016 .. About 15 years old?
Maisie .. P&S mini .. Megan's puppy .. 2002/Sept 2017 .. 15years 5months