Diabetes

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke

Re: Diabetes

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue

Phew! It is such a worry when they are up & down, I know only too well. Hopefully The vet & you (it's a combined effort) will find the right level very soon, but also don't be surprised if there are more blips along the way. It sounds like you are doing a great job of coping and doing the right things for Lexi, so we'll done you :ymhug: .

I have a small confession to make :ymblushing: . We haven't cut out ALL treats. We decided to take the same line with them as with my husband having an alcoholic drink while on Warfarin, that is to keep things on an even keel. I do limit the boys' treats to a few mini biscuits before bed & when I have my morning coffee :)) . They are also allowed half a dentastix each when we settle down to watch TV after dinner. They had become used to this routine before the dreaded D and I didn't have the heart to stop. My probably dodgy logic is that it makes them happy and as things are the same daily, this is taken into account when they are monitored. Perhaps once things are stable, you could re-introduce something small & low fat without messing Lexi up ...? /:)

Alison x
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Here they are, anticipating the big event - they don't seem to be suffering any ill effects and the enjoyment they get is so sweet :x

Always in our hearts
sue+lex
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Lexi (died 6/10/16)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Jun 2004
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2016

Post by sue+lex »

Alison your boys are gorgeous thanks for putting the pic on here Lexi had another blip tonight she wet herself while asleep don''t know where that came from or why as all the usual stuff has been followed but we will see what goes ...She is doing really well and we are so pleased with her progress she is going deaf though she can still hear but you really have to raise your voice for her to react so that is a bit worrying she is like a puppy again she plays a lot more than she has done recently i think there must be something in that insulin but whatever it is I could do with some she is so lively now...I feel sorry for her that she can't have treats but I did manage to get some dried duck strips last week it says they are 100% pure we have cut each strip into 4 and give her 1 small piece of that now after her injection and a piece to go to bed on ....Hope all your dogs keep well and thanks for the replies ...Sue x
redalert
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Sorry to hear Lexi had an accident on Saturday, I suppose it is to be expected every now and again, I bet she hates it, our certainly do if they can't help themselves. As regards her going deaf, Worthy went through a phase of us thinking this, but, I genuinely think he has selective hearing! I am sure in his case its a "male" thing - lol. Hoping Lexi continues to make progress ;)
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

sorry not been on here as had computer problems but son-in-law has sorted it just a quick update on Lexi she is doing really well she went in yesterday for a curve and they are very happy with her progress she is now on 8 units of insulin twice a day but she has not lost anymore weight (she hasn't gained either)they are pleased with her eyes which is a big bonus and generally she is doing really well...Most of this good news is down to you on here as I didn't have a clue about the disease when she was diagnosed didn't get a lot of information from the vet so a really big thank you for your support...Hope all your dogs are doing well ...
Sue
redalert

Post by redalert »

Brilliant news, so glad things are settling down for you and Lexi ;)
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

:-bd x
Always in our hearts
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

very pleased to hear that Lexi is doing so well :-bd
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

sorry once again for not being on here for a while Lexi is still doing really well with her diabetes we have had a small (hopefully)problem which started last week she started licking her foot (back right) on inspection it was very red just behind the central pad and there was pus coming out so we took her to the vets who put her antibiotics this was last Wednesday ,Friday morning her toe really swollen up and pus was coming out of the top so we took her back to the vets who said she would need surgery to find out what was causing it which she went in for this last Monday he found small segments of bark chippings in there,(we do not use this on our garden) he has flushed it out sown the top but left the underside one to drain she has to go back tomorrow (Thursday) to check and have dressing changed so fingers crossed it will be ok .... Poor little sausage did not need this too...
Hope everyone is well and all your dogs too ....Sue
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue
How spooky, I was only thinking about you & Lexi this morning & wondering how you were :) .
Sorry to hear about this latest trial. I wonder how it happened and where the source was. Unfortunately, as in people, dogs with Diabetes can take longer to heal if they get a cut or wound, so I hope you don't get further problems & she responds to the treatment. Good job you went to the vet quickly.
Alfie has been on Metacam with a muscle strain in his leg this week. He has also been obsessively licking a small cut on his leg. I tried putting a collar on him, but he was getting quite stressed, so we're hoping keeping it as clean as possible will eventually do the trick :-bd
Meanwhile, both boys have been stable and have virtually regained all the weight they lost :D
Let us know how Lexi gets on. :o3
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thanks for the reply Alison they are really happy with her Diabetes she is now on 8 units morning and night and as yet (touch wood) her eyesight isn't too bad she has quite a thick cataract on her left eye but it is only a little way across, her other eye seems quite clear her hearing has virtually gone she can hear if you clap loudly or really raise your voice but if she is asleep you have to touch her to get her attention and then the poor sausage is startled..
Hope when they take the bandage off tomorrow she is showing signs of healing as we go on holiday to the Lake District in 3 weeks time so we don't want to have to forgo this one as we lost one in July when she was first diagnosed...How long has it taken your boys to regain their weight? Lexi went down from 10.5 to 9.1 then she stayed stable from then on but hasn't put any weight above that back on and she is a large mini 16"to shoulder and she looks really thin we would like her to put about half a kilo back on ...Wish us luck for tomorrow will speak again soon .... Oh forgot to say she really freaked when we put the dreaded collar on her so she has to have a poo bag over her bandage when she goes out very smart lol...Speak again Soon Sue
redalert

Post by redalert »

Hi Sue, I too have been thinking about you and Lexi. I am pleased to hear that the Diabetes seems to be under control now so that is very positive and I am sorry to hear about her leg, I hope there are positive results when you go back today. Lets hope you can all get away for your holiday, I am sure it is much needed ;)
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue

I hope there is positive news from today's check? Is the plan to take Lexi on holiday with you, or will someone look after her? You really deserve a break, so I do hope nothing gets in the way. W'e're also booked to go away in October and relatives are coming to house sit and look after my two. However, I couldn't leave them with a problem, so we're keeping everything crossed too :-bd :-bd

Re the weight loss, Alfie was originally 11.2 kg and Duke 14.5 - both are on the larger side of mini (but never fat :ymblushing: ) and Duke in particular has always been stocky and a solid build. At their worst, Alfie lost over 2kg and Duke around 3, maybe more. I'd estimate it took around 3 months after they'd stabilised to put some of the weight and muscle back on. At the moment, Alfie is about 10.2 and Duke 13.5. Still less than they were, but they look well and have muscle tone again. Lexi is a bit older than mine, so maybe that can make a difference, but don't give up hope.

Alison x
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

hello all didn't realise it had been so long no speak,Lexi seems to be doing well she went for a curve today and he has put her insulin up one more unit and we have to take her back next week as he has done a blood test which has been sent away but we were told he just wants to do a quick test next week and give us her results don't know what that is all about as when we picked her up it was crazily busy and just saw the receptionist so don't really know what that is all about but she seems happy enough in herself is eating well her foot is all healed nicely now she enjoys her walks and plays as well she hasn't put any weight back on yet but hasn't lost any either so taking that as a positive...We didn't manage to get to the Lakes as my husband s back went they found out when he was 47 he has spina bifida and it plays him up from time to time (his legs go and he can't walk ) was upset at the time but hey ho we live to reign another day..Was asked if we take Lexi with us we do we always hire cottages so she can come wth us don't think B and B would work as she howls if we leave her for a little while and don't think that would go down too well with the other guests...
Hope you are all well and your dogs are too ..Thank you all for taking the time to post with your good wishes and advice it's much appreciated...Sue :)
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

A bit upset today vets rang with results from Blood test seems her Liver isn't functioning as it should be he has put her on back to back antibiotics vitamin tablets and a tablet to help her liver function we have to take her next week for another blood teat to see how these are working he did mention doing a scan at a later date but do you think we would be wise to press for this to be done ASAP to see what is going on (if anything) He has also lowered her insulin and taken her off the diabetic food and put her back on Gastrointestinal as he said this is more important than the Diabetes she has taken to drinking loads of water which I find worrying but she is still a very lively girl and is enjoying her walks/ playtime...Thanks for listening....Sue