Diabetes

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke

Re: Diabetes

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue
A quick one as I'm away. I would personally recommend thorough bloods before doing scan. These can tell you a lot about liver function and avoid the red for more invasive tests if they may not be needed. For example, often dogs need an anaesthetic for a scan & in case of liver issues, anaesthetic can be dangerous. Bloods can also check for Cushings & rule it out too. If Lexi is drinking a lot, this could be, but as she's otherwise lively, it could equally be a blip, so try not to be too alarmed just yet. A xx
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
sue+lex
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Lexi (died 6/10/16)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 16 Jun 2004
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Nov 2016

Post by sue+lex »

Thank you Alison hope you are having a nice time away and for taking the time to reply have taken on board what you have said the vet asked if she was being sick and on Thursday she wasn't but tonight she has and now she is just lying around and feeling very sorry for herself ....Love this little girl so much ...
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

It breaks your heart, doesn't it? Sorry for all typo's earlier, sent it from my phone ... Really hope it's nothing serious and Lexi will be back on track very soon. I'll keep watching and if you need to PM me for anything or you want my phone number, just ask. We're back on Monday and first thing Tuesday are off for Duke's eye operation, so I'll be posting my own update on that.
Take care, sending you positive vibes and hugs for Lexi, come on girl !! :ymhug: xx
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

thank you so much Alison...Hope all goes well with Dukes surgery... I will keep you informed how she is doing she has seemed really well today really lively and playful it's so strange this illness, two days are never the same ...
Big hugs for your boys ...Sue
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Hi All more blood tests have been sent away results expected back on Saturday but the results from the first set of blood tests the vet seems really pleased with and is hoping to only have to keep her on them for one more week he said her Pancreas was clear and also Kidneys and her blood when she had her last curve was at 17 and now down to 5.3 which he was really pleased about she seems really well in herself though still losing weight down now to 8.8 ....Will let you know what goes tomorrow till then keep well all and hope all your pups are well too x
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue

Writing to you in between Duke's drugs :-j

Glad to hear such positive reports from Lexi's first test results, fingers/paws crossed nothing untoward will show up in the other ones :-bd

I think you have to stick with the weight loss thing, just when you are convinced you won't turn the corner, suddenly you do (or at least with both mine), as the dog's body gets used to the condition and the glucose levels stabilise more, the weight should go back on. Alfie (our smaller boy) is now back up to 10.1 kg (only 1kg off his pre diabetes weight & probably a reasonable weight for him to stay at) and Duke was 14.1 prior to his operation - also about 1kg off his original weight. Both look so much better as they also regained muscle tone and actually look very well :D I'm sure the same will happen for Lexi soon :ymhug:

Alison x
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thank you Alison Did Dukes surgery go well ? I know it is hard work after the eye surgery as my very good friend(another Alison) her dog(Miniature Schnauzer) had it done last year and I was amazed at how much aftercare there was ...Lexi is lucky so far with her sight (she touches wood) I think she doesn't have much in her right eye but her left eye seems quite clear and she doesn't miss a trick out on a walk...She has picked up loads this week she is a lot more lively we went down to see the vets this afternoon her 2nd results have come back and it appears that she has liver damage he did say a name when I asked but for the life of me I can't remember it the trouble seems to be with the amount of fat in her blood but he says it is easy doable as the liver is the easiest organ to repair so hopefully things will get better for her soon...he has given her another tablet for her liver so she has to have 2 a day now,antibiotics to fend off infection and vitamin K as he said dogs with liver problems can hemorrhage easily...Thank you for what you said about her weight I worry as she looks a bag of bones she is a large mini for a girl 15" at her shoulder, how long did it take for yours to start putting weight back on? Next appointment next Wednesday will keep you informed of her progress ..Take care and hugs for your boys... :)
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue

Yes, so far so good, thanks - fingers/paws crossed Duke is recovering well.

I can't remember exactly how long it took my two to get their weight back on, it was quite a long time, probably 9 months to a year and like you said with Lexi, they really did look like a bag of bones at their worst. With ours, it was because their insulin took a long time to get to the right level and while it was still too low, the sugars were still eating into fat and muscle. From Lexi's blood results, it doesn't seem as if this is necessarily the case for her, although maybe a curve would show she is still having some spikes in between injections …. Alfie is about the same size as Lexi by the sound of it and he is now on 11 units twice a day, while Duke is about 2" bigger and he is on 12 units; these comparisons are probably not particularly helpful though as I've read it is very difficult to tell with dogs whether or not they are still producing any insulin themselves, which can also affect the dose needed.

In an effort to get my dogs' weight up, I did tweak the amount of food up a little - as much as I could get away with, without causing any upset stomach. Both of mine are good eaters usually, so they will typically eat what is given to them! I think I also mentioned before, we've been pragmatic on the subject of treats and still give ours limited treats daily. However, I know you have to be careful with Lexi if she has liver issues.

Take care,
Alison x
Always in our hearts
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Lexi had another blood test today which we get the results for Friday ...re her Diabetes he did say her last reading was 17.something and now is 5 so good results there she has actually put .2 of a kilo on in a week so the tablets she is on must be working also she is really lively and playing with her toys again she also jumped on the bed yesterday which she hasn't done since she has had Diabetes (she likes to beat up the teddy bear we have on the bed)Thanks Alison for your reply Hugs to your boys ...Sue :)
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Sorry been having problems getting on the site ...Lexi had 2 more blood tests today and in between had an injection and then had to go back an hour later for the 2nd blood test we will know the results on Wednesday don't know what that was for Simon (her vet) wasn't in a very talkative mood today he can be a bit of a grump he is lovely with her but not a people person...She has put anther .2 of kilo on she is now 9.2 which I am so pleased as she looks so much better for it... So I will let you know how she is after Wednesday...
Morgana99

Post by Morgana99 »

Hi Sue

Good news about the weight gain, maybe Lexi has turned that particular corner at last? It is a huge relief if they can put a bit back in so it is noticeable.

You will have to let us know the results of the mystery blood tests & injection when your vet gets around to explaining. I suppose the main thing is that he is caring with Lexi, but communication is one of the key aspects in managing diabetes in dogs successfully, so sounds as if you'll have to try and make sure he tells you stuff :(

Alison x
Always in our hearts
redalert
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Pleased to hear Lexi is continuing to make progress, long may it continue x
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Thank you both for your replies much appreciated...Lexi has been so good this week can't believe the difference she is so like her old self ...Hope all your dogs are ok...I am having a little trouble getting on here it seems to break up when I click on threads are anyone else having problems I don't have a problem anywhere else? I will have a word with Simon tomorrow and see if I can get some plain speaking from him...He is the head vet there and has seemed to have taken Lexi under his wings but the younger vets seem a lot easier to talk to they explain things a lot better he is very good with Lexi and she seems to like him and trust him a lot I went down there to pick up some pills and he was sitting with a Cairn on his knee it was around lunchtime and very quiet in there he said she was like Lexi Diabetic and he was giving her a break from the cage when she was in for her curve I thought that was nice.. I will let you know tomorrow what goes ..Take care all ...Sue :)
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Has anyone else had problems getting on this site as I can get on but up till tonight when you try to post it all breaks up? anyway another update on Lexi she has Hyperlipidemia she is now on a cocktail of pills antibiotics,Vitamin K ,2 tablets for her liver, fish oil with omega 3 and Questran powder ..She is really well in herself but she has high cholesterol and this is affecting her readings in her Diabetes ..Her results for Cushings Pancreatitus came back clear and her kidneys are fine ..So in general pleased with all this... She has to have more bloods a week Monday to see if things are changing .Hope everyones dogs are doing well ...Sue
sue+lex

Post by sue+lex »

Update on Lexi as we speak she is really well but has a horrendous week last week 3 nights of being up all night with her diarrhea and sickness vet was really worried as her pulse was really slow did bloods for various things Addisons being one of them 2 visits later and antibiotics seem to have worked the trick the worse part of all this is the weight she has lost she was 10.6kg before diagnosed with Diabetes and now she is 7.9 kg a huge weight loss as she is not a small Mini but when ok she is still like a puppy wanting to play and telling you off she always has been bossy but she is now virtually blind she is not good at night seems to cope better in the day she is also deaf he said today (the vet ) that her liver function is good he blood sugars are high but that is because we couldn't get her to eat last week and as a result her insulin was lowered ...Monday this week I thought her time had come but since then the change is amazing she has just bounced back her appetite is good again so fingers crossed she will keep continuing to improve ...Hope all your pets are well....Sue PS sorry Addisons was clear...