Seizures

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Kazz
Puppy
First Name: Karen

Seizures

Post by Kazz »

On the 17th Oct we had to have our beloved miniature schnauzer Evie put to sleep, she was just gone 10yrs of age, we are devastated. Evie was fine that day, she's never had any health problems other than bouts of pancreatitis. We had a lovely walk with family and our giant schnauzer Ralph on that day, an hour later Evie had a seizure. Unfortunately the vet tried with various drugs to bring her around but nothing worked.H as anyone experienced this before with this breed or have any idea what could have caused it? We can only think of some type of brain injury as no toxins found in bood .Sorry just find it difficult because she hasn't been unwell, just looking for answers.
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Re: Seizures

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Incredibly sorry to hear this. Only a full investigation could possibly turn up a cause. My first Schnauzer called Emily seized and died on her 12th birthday. I was devastated. She's seized a couple of times before that in her 11th year. Both after exercise like a walk. We knew she had a heart murmur and she'd developed some benign growths but nothing slowed her until a very rapid decline near the end.

I know you're looking for answers, it's human naiture. Try simply to remember your time together, that love was shared. Time will help reduce the pain. It has with me but I still shed a tear from time to time as I recall her. It's been 6+ years now.

She taught me a lot and when the time was right, I gave another Schnauzer a home in my heart... then another...
Gary
Kazz
Puppy

Post by Kazz »

Thank you Gary, it's nice to know there's people out there that understand. You just think "what if" I know we couldn't have changed anything but you still think it. We probably will in time look at rescue schnauzers, at the moment we have our giant and my parents have a miniature Rosie. They are roughly the same age and get on well, we will enjoy them for a while. x
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I don't think we have spoken before but I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear your sad news.

My boy was 1 on 17th October and to think when I was having a fun and happy time with him, you were going through a terribly sad and painful time with your Mini (Evie) is really upsetting.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mikex
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

So sorry to hear about Evie - the sudden unexpected death of a loved dog is always a terrible shock and it adds to the grieving when you do not know why it has happened.

Seizures can have a wide range of causes in a non-epileptic dog and can be due to illness, infection, physical or emotional trauma or toxins that have been introduced into the dog's system either environmental from pesticides or insecticides or also from products such as anti-parasitic treatments and vaccines.

As a dog ages, it may be less able to successfully detoxify its body of chemicals that can be encountered every day via all kinds of things from weed killer sprays, chemicals in household products, even additives in commercially prepared foods and treats. If the liver and / or the kidneys are not functioning fully some toxins may penetrate and damage the brain. It can be that a dog has a reaction to a particular chemical in a product or it can be a build up over time from repeated exposure.

Certain vaccines and anti-parasite treatments are acknowledged by the manufacturers to cause neurological problems in some dogs e.g. Bravecto has been reported by a significant number of dog owners to have resulted in seizures following administration. The pharmaceutical company Merck Sharp Dohme (MSD) who manufacture many vaccines for humans and animals (including the Nobivac vaccines) state that:

"The more common risks associated with vaccines include residual virulence and toxicity, which may cause injection-site reactions, depression, allergic responses, disease in immunodeficient hosts (modified live vaccines), neurologic complications, and rarely, contamination with other live agents......"

Without a post-mortem and full medical history of any recent use of a particular medication or prophylactic treatment such as a vaccine or anti-parasite product that could be linked to the seizures, it is sadly unlikely that you will be able to pinpoint any specific cause.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Kazz
Puppy

Post by Kazz »

Thanks Mike for your reply, I'm glad you had a lovely day with your boy. We were lucky that we had the day off which we spent with our daughter (home from Uni) and the dogs. We had a lovely day spent at home and walking dogs up the mountain, which they love. Evie was a character, she was loving, clever, full of life and very vocal, Lol. We will miss her x
Kazz
Puppy

Post by Kazz »

Hi Zeta, thank you for your reply and information, it was a shock that this happened, we will miss her so much. Evie was a family dog but very much my little girl, she was my shadow. Ralph, our giant is missing her at home but when hes out walking he's fine.
Again thank you for your replies it's nice to be able to talk to people who understand what your going through. Xx