Back Leg Weakness

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
cherih162
First Name: Cheri

Back Leg Weakness

Post by cherih162 »

I have a 13 year old mini Schnauzer and need to buy a harness/rear lift sling to help support her back legs and there are so so many to choose from that my head is spinning. She weighs 17 pounds and is the love of my life. It breaks my heart to see her back legs shake and cross under her belly occasionally when she walks. The slings look like they would put too much pressure on her belly and the rear lift contraptions look like I would not be allowing her to use her legs at all which I do not want to do because I do not want her to lose what muscle she has left in them. Please help me. Any advice or suggestions you may have will be appreciated. I have looked on Amazon and Gingerlead and am still so confused.

Thanks.
Al T

Re: Back Leg Weakness

Post by Al T »

Hi there,

See link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEST-FRIEND- ... Swi6RbL323

Our Norman has been on one of these for almost 5 years now. His rear leg situation was thro a spinal problem as opposed to age though. Took him a full 10 mins to get used to it, he went backwards first but with the aid of a treat he was coaxed forwards. He's 10 now & does up to 3 miles in a single walk.

What I'd suggest so your dog doesnt lose leg muscle is to stimulate movement daily by kind of pointing her away from you whilst shes stood longways straddled your leg whilst your sitting down, then mimic walking movements with her back legs.

Some pics if you rummage thro my flickr account of our Norman's journey on wheels so tospeak.

Hope all turns out well for you with whatever route you follow

Regards

Al.
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

Totally understand this as this is where we are with our 13 year old rescue. I need to investigate options also.
Gary
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

At thirteen years I'm wondering if she is still going on walks or you just need to help her get around the house and into the garden for hygiene breaks
If the latter,and you can sew,I've made a padded rectangular strip to which I attached handles from a shopping bag.
I gave this to my pal whose schnauzer was paralyzed at five years old and already has a wheelchair.
.......this hoist was just to quickly and conveniently help the dog get outside...and works well...they were thrilled .simple,easy to slip under the belly and padded so it doesn't cut or dig into the dog.....worth a try?