What age is old?

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: What age is old?

Post by Sianny »

So the general consensus is that about 7-8ish on average, accross all 3 sizes? But then I guess 16 is elderly :D
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

So's 23, doesn't stop Jaffa's Mum's JRT though, does it!?

I hope mine live to that old! I wonder what the oldest Schnauzer lived to?
Sianny

Post by Sianny »

I think Jaffa's JRT needs a card from the Queen - at least! :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I heard some old lady who was 104 got the same card from the queen four times and then complained, because she was wearing the same dress in each card and it wasn't updated each year!

Think a Schnauzer would look suiting in a crown...
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

My oldest dog was 15 a great girl, not a schnauzer though. (kiss)
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

15 is blooming old - achievement!
Sianny

Post by Sianny »

Maisyfreds wrote:As you wish. :)

Back on topic we go!

I have a friend who runs a rescue centre in the USA whom just took on a lovely old Chow mix that has fatal kidney disease, and since the dog is refusing fluids and meals, she's letting the old girl live her last few months out in peace. No more fluids, no more forced meals - they eat people food together and the dog is getting by okay. I thought this would be perhaps the hardest decision for an older dog owner when the dog can no longer look after itself. Does one fight to the last breath or accept and let the days be done?
Goes without saying it's a case-by-case individual-by-individual but I'd probably do the same as your friend......but then I am not sure if I could handle the heartache. Good for her, she must be so strong.

the oldest dog I know personally was my OH's late alsation cross, Sam. Gorgeous.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

It's so touching that everyone has that one dog that sets the standard. I love watching it begin - this little girl at class this week with an Aussie pup was doing everything right, she baited this four month old puppy around the ring instead of yanking it, she went through basic obedience at the end of every run around and stacked it with soothing words. I said to her 'Is he yours?' and she gave me the BIGGEST smile and said 'Yeah. He's mine.' and that completely warmed my cockles! Some parents give their kid a dog and sort of leave them to it, as a novelty Christmas present or something, but here was a girl who's entire family bred, agilitied, rallied, and showed them and she had this gift of a best friend all of her own. It's so, so moving when the cliche movies come true and you get to see a little kid with a puppy and KNOW they're going to be best friends forever and ever and ever. :D
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

She had collitis for years. Lucky the new foods were available at the time. That dear old girl was never a problem.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

I have had several animals dogs and cats live to ripe old ages. When the time comes it is very hard to make the choice. You just know you can't let suffer.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

*Runs to breed encyclopedia*

Wow, they look just like Norwich terriers!

Aussie terrier:

Norwich terrier:

sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

Ah thats my girl Tuffy. The ears were wonderful just like little Claude. You know when she died I couldn't find another breeder here. Without going across the country. Then I went to a jack russell well that was quite a shocker.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Awww, I'm so sorry you couldn't find another like her. I suppose they all set the standard, don't they? I hear that in Canada some breeds are very difficult to find, like Leonburgers, etc. Pity, really. :c
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

Haven't even heard of that dog. Canada is quite big but unless someone imports one of the old breeds here we would be out of luck. Thank goodness for the breeders.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Acutally there are differences in available breeds everywhere. Since comming here I have come accross a range of beautiful breeds like the basset artesien normand, stabijhoun, and entlebuch that are nigh on impossible to find in the uk, but really popular in thier home countries and the close neibouring countries. Have a google and see what you think.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!