What age is old?

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
BellBell
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Bella
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 18 Oct 2009

What age is old?

Post by BellBell »

As the title suggests, for each breed what age would you class your dog as being in its senior years?

(Just Curious) (read)
Bella - Black Mini - Born 18th October 2009
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: What age is old?

Post by Sianny »

I'd class 8 as 50 human years and 16 as 95+ human years. Just because I know of quite a few (mini) schnauzers who live to 16 and over personally so I kinda class it that way!

What about you?
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
BellBell
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Bella
Born: 18 Oct 2009

Post by BellBell »

Is it true then that a dog is 7 years for every one of ours?

Course that would make the 23 YO in the other thread 161 lol, so maybe not.
Bella - Black Mini - Born 18th October 2009
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Hmm, well dog shows have dog that are vetran (sp!) over 7 years old. A Great Dane or Irish Wolfhound are both doing very well if they make it to 7 years of age. So I guess it depends on the average age the breed lasts to. I hope my girls will make it to 12 - 14, so anything over 11 is 'old' in my mind.
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back it was probably a Giant Schnauzer...*sigh*
Downtrodden former owner of 2 Giants, the fabulous Tula Bear & very naughty Minxster - Minxsters blog: http://minxstergiant.blogspot.com/ )
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

I have heard one theory about dog aging that works well for most of the medium/small dogs. At one year they are equivalent to 15 human years, at 2 it is 23 and then aging continues at about five years per every 1 year so at 3 the dog is equivalent to 28 human years. Obviously this doesn't quite work for the larger breeds including giant schnauzers.

Most small breeds can be considered oap's from 12, 10 for medium dogs, 8 for the biggies and then 6-7 for the giant breeds.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
schett

Post by schett »

well has a rule large breeds dont make old bone avage age is 7-9 years one of the longest liveing breeds are the toys yorkies but schipperkes tend to live over 14 years my mum lost her old schipperke I bred he was 18 years his mother lived only too 15 year and his brother has cancer and had to be put down at 10 years
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Saddest thing I ever saw was a twelve year old Borzoi I was photographing at a breeder's who kept slipping over on the flooring and couldn't get up again. You'd think that a spread eagle Borzoi would be funny across the floor, very What A Mess, but it was completely heart-breaking to see her helpless and low, one of the most distinguished breeds resorting to being hauled up when her hips could no longer work. :(
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

I just googled Borzoi - I have NEVER seen this breed, EVER. Stunning.
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

They're in Lady and the Tramp, too. :D Which means, you know, that they're awesome!

Seriously, though, I went along to photograph them and thought they'd be aloof and skittish...I could not have been more wrong. One of them, Peaches, was so friendly that half my frames were filled with a big haze that turned out to be her ear where she'd stuck her huge snout out to kiss me! I thought they were kind of unattractive before meeting them and observing - now I'd REALLY like one!
DustyD

Post by DustyD »

I think it depends on the individual dog rather than breed. Some dogs seem forever young whereas others are old in their manner at 2 years old. Same can be said of humans. Some 18 year olds act like 2 year old and throw their toys out of their prams at the slightest provocation.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

That's Freddy all over - he's the pipe and slippers dog at nearly two years old. Suits his look, then! The beard, the eyebrows - maybe he's like that boy in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button!

As for your latter comment - I really thought we were over sniping comments. If you'd like to have a go, feel free to PM me, but please don't ruin another thread. :)
DustyD

Post by DustyD »

Maisyfreds wrote:That's Freddy all over - he's the pipe and slippers dog at nearly two years old. Suits his look, then! The beard, the eyebrows - maybe he's like that boy in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button!

As for your latter comment - I really thought we were over sniping comments. If you'd like to have a go, feel free to PM me, but please don't ruin another thread. :)
I thought it had been discussed and agreed that everyone on this forum was entitled to their own opinions and views. Not every comment made relates specifically to you or your dogs. If you feel that it does then you have my sympathy but that is all you have. As for my ruining another thread, I was not aware that I had ruined any. Why don't you enlighten me and do it on forum where everyone can see.

Maisyfreds, do not take that tone with me again, it is offensive and not in the spirit of this forum.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Once again, if you'd like to discuss an issue you have with me, then please do so by PM. I don't want this thread locked, I thought it was very informative.

As for a tone, technically the internet portrays no tone as it's in relativity to your perception of type. So whether you think I'm using a tone and whether I'm using one is a completely different. If you'd like to discuss this also, then please feel free to PM me. :)
DustyD

Post by DustyD »

My mistake, it would appear the rattle just followed the toys.

As for your PM invitation, I decline. Better things to do and better people to do them with. Just my opinion you understand.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

As you wish. :)

Back on topic we go!

I have a friend who runs a rescue centre in the USA whom just took on a lovely old Chow mix that has fatal kidney disease, and since the dog is refusing fluids and meals, she's letting the old girl live her last few months out in peace. No more fluids, no more forced meals - they eat people food together and the dog is getting by okay. I thought this would be perhaps the hardest decision for an older dog owner when the dog can no longer look after itself. Does one fight to the last breath or accept and let the days be done?