What age is old?

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Derwent
First Name: Yvonne
Dog #1: Max
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 03 Sep 2007
Dog #2: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Aug 2010

Re: What age is old?

Post by Derwent »

[quote="Maisyfreds"]That's Freddy all over - he's the pipe and slippers dog at nearly two years old. Suits his look, then! The beard, the eyebrows - maybe he's like that boy in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button!

I read this comment with interest, my Max is a lazy old boy at 2 and a half, I read loads of comments on the forum about schnauzers being lively bouncy and full of beans, my boy is a real couch potatoe, he loves his walks and runs and runs, but in the house, he spends his time on the sofa or his bed, just lazing around all day. Dp you think this is normal - am I feeding him enough - he's a good weight over 10kg but not fat - an still feel his ribs and he gets a minimum of an hours walk each day.
(dogrun)
Yvonne
Small dogs but big personalities
Max (B/S mini) Monty (P/S mini)
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

An adult dog will sleep for approx 17 hours a day, Darwin is lively on his walks, training and playing with Mia, the rest of the time he chills and keeps an eye on the village!
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Exactly, Heather! Maisy is the opposite, she's a nutcase, but she's young enough for me to have an excuse! Freds will be fine if he doesn't have a walk- he's hit that age now where he doesn't NEED one to behave like he used to. Max and him should get together and read the paper or something, watch the footie, and discuss the best way to get rid of ear hair. :D
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

That sounds a great idea they can sit and watch "It's me or the Dog" with their pipe and slippers on the comfy sofa - Reassured that other schnauzers are chilled out like mine and that there isn't anything wrong with him - just idle! (yawn)
Yvonne
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

:D I just saw from your avatar that Max looks particularly old manish with his grumpy face on! One thing Freddy's breeder said to me (who was also in Surrey!) was that they were the youngest old dog she'd ever owned!
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Your're right, he does look a little grumpy in my avatar perhaps I should change it - my O/H often says that Max does "Grumpy dog" really well especially when he looks up at you and rolls his eyes so that the white part shows.

Perhaps this is a better photo - what do you think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or perhaps I need to make him smile - any ideas!
Yvonne
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Yep, he has definately got the grumpy look down - but then, what would you expect on a Schnauzer?! :D
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

My sugarbear is just like your dog would sleep her life away. Her pics also look crumpy. It wasn't until we bought a new girl that things changed. Now they play and have fun. However, i call Sugarbear an old soul.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
Derwent

Post by Derwent »

Perhaps that's what Max needs - a mate, I would love another one, but already have 3 cats as well and O/H says thats enough, but I suspect that it might help if he has a little girly to chase rather cats who don't want to play with him.

One day perhaps
Yvonne
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

;) Convince him, my dear! Beer, world cup, and a DIY magazine - and then just sidle up to him and mention that Max would like a playmate, and looking after two is really no more than looking after one....;)
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

but NOT if you've just been to the vets! :P
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Lol, no, erm, pretend that they don't charge and arm and a leg for consultation!
Arbormalc
First Name: Malcolm
Dog #1: Oscar
Born: 01 Mar 2006
Dog #2: Ziva
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jun 2009
Dog #3: Pippa
Born: 05 Dec 2012
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by Arbormalc »

Maisyfreds wrote:Awww, I'm so sorry you couldn't find another like her. I suppose they all set the standard, don't they? I hear that in Canada some breeds are very difficult to find, like Leonburgers, etc. Pity, really. :c
My cousin had a Leonburger when we got Toby. In an album somewhere, is a pic of a v.young (<6months) Mini with a fully grown Leonburger. I can't spell his name, it was gaelic. He weighed 12stone and could put his front paws on my shoulders and rest his head on TOP of mine, and i'm not a midget. I don't hink he lived to more than 8, and had many health problems.

Three of the Mini's I walked last week, were 11 and they all played together like a bunch of pups. Age is a relative thing - just like in us humans.

Toby is around 11 1/2 and when the 'boys' went for their boosters, last week, the vet told us he's in good nick for his age. Although he is missing afew teeth. He had 16 taken out a few years ago - I was well mortified, mumbling various apologetic statements to the vet. He explained that just like humans some have 'bad' teeth. The other two have OK teeth, so it wasn't a lack of chew/treating etc.... I still felt it was my fault though.
Owned by - 3x Mini's (all rescues). Oscar 8 and Ziva 5 and Pippa 18mths. and our gorgeous new rescue 14mth old Tanya - our very first Giant!!!
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I blooming love them, there's a club close to me that I keep meaning to go to with a friend who also does dog photography, I'd love to see them running around the beach!

Dogs are different like people, don't worry, a few missing teeth clearly won't stop Toby, eh? ;)

Here's the one and only Leon I've ever met, who was an utter lovebug and kept licking my lens. :D

Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

That's a beauitiful picture :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008