Old or not?

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Old or not?

Post by henrys mum »

Over the last few weeks we've noticed Henry being quite lame when he gets up from lying down. We managed to find out that he could stay on the Joint Aid while on his hypo-allergenic diet so put him straight back on it (he was only off for 2weeks) but it didn't make any difference even on the full dose :( We were worried that he'd turned into an 'old dog'. After talking to the vet I reluctantly agreed to try him on Metacam, but only 1/2 a dose as I'd rather he wasn't on drugs. But I have to say that he's now running around like a 2yr old again!! (giggle) No lameness and he can be on a small dose to keep him going. He even nicked my poppy from my lapel (no pins thank goodness) when I was standing up!! (giggle)
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: Old or not?

Post by Sianny »

I've heard wonders about Metacam from my friend who has a Choccy lab, poor girl strained her ankle!

So glad to hear he's running around like an, erm naught puppy again! I bet you were secretly pleased at the poppy theft, like "SOMEBODY'S BETTER!"
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
henrys mum

Post by henrys mum »

Yeah it's back to a grown up puppy! As soon as he was allowed to play at class, the trainer said "Whats got into Henry?" He waltzed right over to two bitches who were starting to eyeball each other and split them up to play! Thinks he's the man!!
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Been there with this with Tula (9) ...with her it was only a temporary strain/ sprain, so after a week or so on Metacam she was much improved. The only thing the vet warned me about, is that if they feel vastly improved and go bonkers, they can then do damage to themselves and make it worse, as they are not taking it easy and resting.
When I had a GSD, he went on Metacam on a daily basis aged about 12 plus, and it really seemed to help his quality of life. In fact I'm wondering what the dose would be for me... [laughing]
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back it was probably a Giant Schnauzer...*sigh*
Downtrodden former owner of 2 Giants, the fabulous Tula Bear & very naughty Minxster - Minxsters blog: http://minxstergiant.blogspot.com/ )
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

My Murf is 11 at the end of the month and has been slowing down and stiffening up a lot,he suffered a back problem last year which caused him to lose the use of his back legs, the surgery he had has helped alliviate the main problem but he will be left with stiffness and soreness for the rest of his life now.

As the weather is getting colder, he is struggling more, I keep metacam for him for when he is having a bad day, touch wood, he's been ok off it for a long while now, another thing I use is herbal tablets from dorwest herbs which help alliviate arthritic conditions and he does seem to find these helpful to him, I was also using cod liver oil but it was suggested on here that cod liver oil is not good for dgos so has left me wary of using this for him now.
If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
pastylover
First Name: Peter
Dog #1: Boda
Born: 08 Dec 2014

Post by pastylover »

Stacey100 wrote: I was also using cod liver oil but it was suggested on here that cod liver oil is not good for dgos so has left me wary of using this for him now.
It's the vitamin A in cod liver oil which might cause a problem as the dog may well get enough through its normal diet and an overload can be toxic. Ordinary fish oils with a high concentration of Omega 3 fatty acids are fine and very effective, especially if you don't feed oily fish normally.
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

pastylover wrote:
Stacey100 wrote: I was also using cod liver oil but it was suggested on here that cod liver oil is not good for dgos so has left me wary of using this for him now.
It's the vitamin A in cod liver oil which might cause a problem as the dog may well get enough through its normal diet and an overload can be toxic. Ordinary fish oils with a high concentration of Omega 3 fatty acids are fine and very effective, especially if you don't feed oily fish normally.
Thank you! I am looking at alternatives that won't cost a fortune. x
If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

So long as its not a liver oil, you should be ok. I think salmon oil is a popular alternative.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
henrys mum

Post by henrys mum »

Unfortunately the additives for food aren't an option as we're trying to find a trigger for their nail problems and they're on a restricted diet. But I'll keep all suggestions filed for the future
R.I.P. Henry xx
tosca

Post by tosca »

Belle was on Metacam after her surgery for a week, I am glad to read good stuff about it.