Drinking A lot

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Stacey100

Drinking A lot

Post by Stacey100 »

Hi everyone,
As some of you have met, my boy Murf is getting on a bit now, has reached 11 years old. Recently, I would say in the last 3+ months I have noticed that he is drinking a lot of water or appears to be for him. He makes far more trips to the water bowls, makes a bee line for them when ever he can. I have now put an extra bowl in the living room, not a big one but one he can get too, he can drain it well within 2 hours.

Last night there was no water in the bedroom bowl so he paced about doing that inward groan until I got up to get him some and he acts the same as if I was approaching with a bowl of food with it.

Other than that, no other thing has changed, his behavior is normal, he doesn't wee any more than normal or ask to go out more than normal, he doesn't have any accidents in the night etc.

A few weeks ago when he went in for his booster at the vets I told them this and they suggested a blood screen to check functions such as liver, kidneys and other things which have all come back as completely healthy and normal so they have said it is unlikely to be anything to do with his kidneys or Cushings or diabetes so I am at a loss now.

Does anyone here have a similar experience with their older dog, any suggestions, is there something I and the vets are missing?
If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
puppypower

Re: Drinking A lot

Post by puppypower »

I do hope Murf is okay I met him in Birmingham and fell in love with him (kiss)

I don't have any experience with older schnauzers but our Jack Russell is geting on now at 18 poss 19. He drinks a fare bit, we joke that he goes out for a wee to empty the tank, and then promptly has a big drink and fills that tank up again (hammer)

Its great his tests came back okay, is he on any medication? that could be having an effect on him longer term? I know some anti-inflametory drugs are not so kind on the tummy?

I guess also it been cold where you are so proberly had heating on lots more older dogs seem to be effected by heat and cold more than the younger ones.
Dawn (human) and my monochromatic friend Jasper, born 4th April 09 my Mini Schnauzer to the rescue

The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.
- Unknown
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

Hi Dawn

Hope you and Jasper are well.

No he's not on any meds at the moment, interesting thought about the cold and having the heating on though, possible. x
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
tosca

Post by tosca »

Don't want to worry you but it could be his kidneys, prob best to get vet to check him out.
NSB

Post by NSB »

I wonder have you changed the food?
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ I was wondering that too - is he having anything particularly dry or salty? Stanley drinks more when he has had a rawhide bone to chew.
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

does he lick the snow cause there could be salt on it from the gritters
pastylover
First Name: Peter
Dog #1: Boda
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 08 Dec 2014

Post by pastylover »

It's not that unusual for some older dogs to drink more. Our last Giant used to drink gallons after she reached about 10 and our English Mastiff was pretty much the same. So long as your vet has done all the usual checks and you keep an eye out for any other changes in behaviour, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
pepsilynn

Post by pepsilynn »

Hi
My name is Lynn and I am new to this site,we have 2 mini shnauzers Poppy and Millie, I have had a Miniature shnuazer "Pepsi" who became diabetic at 5yrs, but she also had other symptons as well as excessive drinking she lost weight,
Lynn
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

Thanks guys,

No, not changed the food in the last 3/4 months, been on the same thing for well over a year now so can't be that, perhaps then it is just something that happens with age, will keep monitoring him then in case something changes but it is very odd, I am not sure where he is putting it all! lol.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

A friend has an old westie, Skippy. He has always been a big drinker, he can't help himself its like he is addicted to water. Fill a bowl and he will empty it. Fill it and he'll just keep on drinking. It is so bad that they let him have a drink about every two hours but the rest of the time there is no water down because Skippy cannot pass the bowl without emptying it, if he hears a tap run he is there for a drink. He has no related medical problems and the vet couldn't figure is out either, its just part of Skippy that he can drink for Britain. Not suggesting you limit his water but I agree with pastylover that sometimes thats just the way old dogs get.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ Well I suppose there are worse things to be addicted to!!
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Heny is 10 and has been drinking a great deal more than usual. Vet did all sorts of tests and he has raised liver enzymes so we had to stop his Metacam to see if they dropped. Going back tomorrow for follow up test. Just wondered if your boy was on Metacam.