Standard schnauzer / comeback at foot

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Largo
Puppy
First Name: Nicolas

Standard schnauzer / comeback at foot

Post by Largo »

Hello everyone,

Since few days i have some troubles when i call to comeback my 12 month old standard schnauzer.
Sometimes he comes back almost directly, other time he comes back with taking his time..and sometimes he don't comeback to me and don't move his head when i call his name ! (When he has a lot of distractions more intersting than me)
This last point is dangerous for him and for others.

I run 3 times a week with him into the forest and he stays always with me, no problem to comeback.
The problem is only during the walk in the town..
I really would prefer to let him free every time but i'm not sure that is possible.

i think that some kind of dog are stronger than other to train.
That's why I would like to Know how is it during your daily walk ?
Some of you are able to let the dog free everytime and everywhere ?
Do you think that it's possible to get a good comeback with a standard schnauzer without tranform him as a robot ?

Thans for reading me and apologize for my english :)
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Re: Standard schnauzer / comeback at foot

Post by Eddie »

You are describing a fairly common problem. I don't think your dog finds the distractions more interesting than you, he is probably not even aware of you because of the distractions.

I have a small whistle attached to my keyring which is very sharp and shrill. I have trained the dogs so that they know that two quick tweets means "come now". This is quite effective because the sharpness of the whistle cuts through the mist/distraction that is stopping them from hearing you. I don't believe your boy is ignoring you, he is just not aware of you because of whatever else is happening.

The training is very simple. Two quick tweets, "come" and a high value treat when they do. Eventually, all that is needed is the two quick tweets.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Largo
Puppy

Post by Largo »

Thanks Eddie for your response,
The whistle is a good idea to get his focus when i call him.
I'm on my way to find it.
The goal is really to let my dog free as maximum as i can (without immediate danger as road per example..)
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hi Nicolas.
Your dog sounds like he's doing really well for his age..your training will consolidate around two years when he is mature..
Another thing to consider regarding his age..at twelve months his hormones are at a very high level..he will settle down in the next six months along with the decline in his hormone level as he reaches maturity..( adolescent dogs have seven times the amount of testosterone as adult males).
I like the three whistle idea..short and clear and no confusion as to what you are asking of your dog.
In town I'd leash him..for his own safety and protect him from every unforeseen scenario...plus it's also a good thing for a dog to have leash manners too.i like mine on the left,behind the knee on a loose lead.
Largo
Puppy

Post by Largo »

Hi !
Your informations are interesting and helpful to understand the dog comportment
I would not have thought about hormones but it's true that he is more nervous and excited since sometime.