Recall deafness!

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
wooster1
Puppy
First Name: Kerry
Dog #1: Bunny
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 24 Jun 2016

Recall deafness!

Post by wooster1 »

My 7 month girl mini has decided that when she is off her lead she doesn't want to listen to me when I call her. She is brilliant at recall when we are at home and in the garden and when she is on the lead I have her full attention, however, when it's just me and her off the lead she will not come to me anymore! I have tried favourite foods, whistles, toys etc and nothing works, I reckon if I had a block of cheese to offer her she still wouldn't listen. Any ideas?
metalfury
Puppy
First Name: Rob
is a: B/S Mini Bitch

Re: Recall deafness!

Post by metalfury »

We used a really long 20ft lead as an intermediate stage between the home recall and the off-lead recall. (http://amzn.to/2kkOu0U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I saw a trainer working with a partner using this technique on the telly with rescue dogs, and it worked really quickly for us.

We basically put ourselves 20 ft away from each other, then the person furthest from the puppy would run away. As soon as the puppy chased they would use the recall command and give loads of praise. Then the other person would repeat the exercise.

After a while we could drop the running away to instigate the chase, then finally we moved to the same exercise without the lead.

We now have pretty good recall with ours off-lead.

We've also whistle trained recall with ours for when she has selective hearing!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

She's entering adolescence and will test you in every way she can to get her own way. Selective deafness is very common during this phase.

Go back to basics and reinforce all basic training as she'll probably pretend she forgotten things too. They do come out fine the other end just like human teenagers :D
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Minibyng
Puppy
First Name: Kevin

Post by Minibyng »

we used the long lead method too but we definately went through a phase at around 6 to 10 months when a lot of the training went out of the window, especially recall in the park. it's hard for you to stay positive at this point but keep at it and it will just " click " with them eventually.
be patient and always really happy and rewarding when they come back.
we were also told not to keep using their name as it just becomes white noise to them. save using their name for when you see danger and it really might help distract them away from harm.
try a favourite squeaky toy or other creative sound you can come up with using your own vocal chords.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

You might be interested in signing up for Donna Hill's Recall class at Fenzi Dog School Academy. Sign ups have started and it starts 1st Feb.
Donna Hill is an awesome dog trainer. I have taken many courses with her on-line at FDSA.

http://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/in ... nd-recalls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;