Aggressive

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Courtney316
Puppy
First Name: Courtney

Aggressive

Post by Courtney316 »

Hi, my two dogs get on well together. One is 3 (Pepe) and the other is 2(Stitch). They're great, however, there will be occasions where either dog will jump off the chair or sofa and both of them will aggressively bark and snap at each other. They've never bitten or drew blood from the other but I'm worried that it could escalate.

It usually only happens around food, when they get too excited or if one (usually Stitch) is growling near me. We have moved their food to separate areas of the house which has helped when it's feeding time.

They fine any other time and can usually be found cuddling beside each other.

Is this something I should be worrying about?

Thanks
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Aggressive

Post by zeta1454 »

Schnauzers are well known for playing very noisy ( and potentially scary sounding) "bitey face" games with each other especially within family groups. It can sound aggressive but is not really so at all and nothing to worry about. This may be what is happening with the jumping off the sofa and at times of excitement.

The food issue is different (although this could be also what is happening with the sofa space) as this is more likely "resource guarding" behaviour where a dog will try to warn off another dog in order to protect their food from being stolen. Resource guarding behaviour can also happen between dogs if one is trying to protect their favourite sleeping place or favoured spot on a sofa.

As regards the feeding, that is absolutely the right thing to move their feeding places apart so that neither feels threatened that they may lose their dinner!

Resource guarding by a dog against a human is a behaviour that needs training to prevent it happening but between dogs it is such a "hard wired" behaviour that it would be almost impossible to alter. The best way is to manage it as you have done with the food.

I think the other occasions you mention may be more rough play than aggression but, if you think things are getting out of hand with either, you could try distraction with toys or training to separate them or "time out" for one in a different room.

If you think there is a serious problem then a good professional behaviourist may be able to give advice based on seeing your dogs interacting and judging if there is an issue and how to deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/