Clicker training without treats?

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
FishMina
Puppy
First Name: Fish
Dog #1: Schnauzer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Dog #2: Tudou (mixed breed)

Clicker training without treats?

Post by FishMina »

Ive clicker trained a lot of dogs before, some my own and some other peoples pets,and Ive never seen any training method as fast or effective. That being said, Im sure there are some incredible trainers out there who have never used a clicker and I applaud them, but I found what works for me and I love seeing dogs figuring stuff out with a clicker! If some people arent into treats and clickers that fine too... but I have a question for those who know about it.

My mini schnauzer is 4 months old and I clicker train her for 5 minutes three to four times a day. This is my first time having a schnauzer, or even a purebred dog with slightly more predictable traits, so I know she is more prone to behaviours Im not used to. However, she is obsessed with food and when a treat is offered after a click she NEVER takes it, but instead gets so excited she buries her face in my hand, misses the treat entirely and then careers around the floor searching for treaty smells - and the clicked moment is lost every time and gathering back up her concentration is hard. Does anyone have advice on getting her to calm down about food, and just take the treat when offered rathen than going nuts.

Also, and more on my search list, is an alternative to clicking without a treat. Does anyone know about this? I was reading about training military dogs amd using a ball or favourite toy as a reward every time after a click.. I thought this would be more of a distraction as she usually grabs toys and run around with them and gets very excited (which is gorgeous and hilarious, I dont wanna lose her joy) but she is already distracted enough with food, so maybe the difference wouldnt be that great. Does anyone know anything about clicker training without food as the reward, andand any good results on this, or good websites on the subject. I live in china where google is blocked countrywide so all my search engines are predominantly chinese, which means I dont usually get great results searching for info.

Thanks so much!
Fish
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Clicker training without treats?

Post by Dawnspell »

I'd start clicker training to teach impulse control over her food obsession.

Hold a treat in your closed hand. From what you say she'll go mad sniffing and nose poking trying to get the treat. The moment she stops, which may take a while with her, click and give the treat.

Keep doing this and eventually she will learn the way to get the treat is not to go sniffing at your hand but to sit and ignore it.

What do you use as treats ? This can affect how they react, low value for home and high value for out and about.

When using a toy for training it is normally one specific toy that you load as being high value, so they only get it when training and giving the correct behaviour. It is never used for general playtime. Barney is toy orientated no interest in food when out and about whatsoever. I carry a squeaky plastic ball in my pocket when on walks. If I want him back to me quick one squeak and he comes hes then is allowed a couple of throws of fetch and it goes back in my pocket to keep its high value.

You could try a ball on a rope and teach tug as her reward then she wouldn't be running off. Kikopup on youtube has a video of how to get a dog interested in a toy as reward. In fact all of her clicker training videos are good.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
FishMina
Puppy
First Name: Fish
Dog #1: Schnauzer
Dog #2: Tudou (mixed breed)

Post by FishMina »

Ayaa that first bit about clicking to teach 'dont go mad for treats' is awesome, fantatic idea, thanks so much! I used teeny tiny pieces of chopped up sausage or any meat for a while but the smell was so strong she would just run around and around smelling for it, not even realising it was in my hand and unable to calm down - but even now I train with kibble and she still goes mental for it, anything seems to get her food-oriented! I have a strict rule to never allow begging and treats from my own plate/table, but she has been so mad about food that she will shake all over even at the sound of kibble since we got her.

The other thing - if I stopped using treats and instead a high value toy, which id really like to do, could I use it in the same way as, the second she does the action, I click an give the toy? And in that case, do I play with her for a moment, or take it back after the first throw, or let her play with it herself before taking it back? Eg haha how long should the toy rewards be, and how do I keep the focus on 'im taking it back now, lets keep working' rather than 'im stealing your fun again and again! Mwahaha'

Hah thaks so much for your reply!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I don't know how easy it would be for you to get a book ( hard copy or Kindle) in China but I would really recommend this one, if you can :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Pigs-Fly- ... gs+can+fly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

my girl is scared of the clicker so instead we say "yes!!" and then treat or praise, Elica is very praise orientated, it works for us.
Cat M
First Name: Cat
Dog #1: Lola
Born: 13 Mar 2012
Dog #2: Pixie
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by Cat M »

If she is acting over the top with the treats you are offering, they are too high value. Try with something like small piece of cucumber or apple and see how she reacts then.
Also try not having the treats in your hand but in a bowl out of reach. Only reach for the treat after you have clicked.
You might try clicking for eye contact to train focus and attention on you.