Dog harnesses..health impact on joints..

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Dog harnesses..health impact on joints..

Post by Robin black mini »

When you get a pup many will advise to choose a harness as opposed to a collar,this link gives advice as to choosing a suitable harness that will not compromise the shoulder or elbow action of your pup..the most important thing is the underarms should be clear from friction,and this will avoid putting stress on young,malleable joints..you want to avoid o.c.d.( cartilage fragmentation) or elbow dysplasia which can be caused by ill fitting harnesses.

https://activepet.co.uk/dog-harness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In large breed dogs I prefer to transition from a harness to a 1.5 inch leather collar from 5 months onwards when training continues in earnest..for the smaller sized dog the decision to stay with the harness or go to a collar depends on the size,character of the dog..
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Dog harnesses..health impact on joints..

Post by zeta1454 »

That is an interesting article. Thank you for sharing. We have used harnesses with our dogs from puppyhood onwards as our affens are a breed that can suffer tracheal collapse and I have always disliked the collar and lead set up for general walking out with dogs in case they do pull even once or twice and start choking.

We favour the Perfect Fit harnesses which seem to work well with ours and I think do come into the acceptable type from looking at the photos.

https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/shd/do ... link_id/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfec ... rness.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magic & Trilby in their harnesses :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Fergus
First Name: colin

Post by Fergus »

We never had any choice with Fergus. He gags and chokes as soon as any pressure is applied to his throat.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Zeta. I like those pics as they show the y front harness as opposed to the t fronts ,where the straps come back over the shoulders.ive seen a lot of the t front types lately ,with slogan on them to make them trendy,but the dogs don't look comfortable in them which prompted my post.
Those harnesses in your link look very easy to snap on and off and comfy to wear...I like the two colours on the fronts being different too.

Fergus..my little mini uses a harness too...I also put a collar on,but just for her I'd tags..
In our case I use a harness as I find the collars can slip over her head and are not secure..she's not a puller,but I like the harness now for her safety ,especially when we go in the city.