Chewy is potty trained ALMOST

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Clown9644

Re: Chewy is potty trained ALMOST

Post by Clown9644 »

I like the Leave it command and it is on my list but just how many different things can I teach at the same time. Right now we are learning the clicker is his favorite sound following the Pigs can fly technique. I have goodies in my left hand, the clicker in my right. We were doing a drill when I apparently was too slow with the next click so he looked at my right hand and did a soft bark! Naturally I clicked and gave him his goodie. They are not dumb!

Had another "accident" this morning. It happens so fast. I was shaving for maybe 5 minutes and came into the living room to a poop. I put him out with the command go potty and cleaned up the mess and sprayed my water/vinegar spray to neutralize the odor on the carpet. Of course he came back in and got his treat and we played for a few minutes. The good news is we played and he did not draw blood on my hands, either I am getting quicker or he is learning the gentle bite. I yell OW and put him down when he bites too hard. Some day he may figure it out.

By the way I am really finding that book, "When Pigs Fly".
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I know, a lot to take in and a lot to do - seems overwhelming. I haven't used the clicker but I wouldn't have thought it would get in the way of LEAVE IT but you can only do so much. Keep with the high pitched yelling when Chewy bites too hard because when he starts teething the biting will get worse. I went through two weeks of absolute hell with my first schnauzer but got it right with Otto and taught him bite inhibition because I was home to train him. The accidents will get less and less if you are consistent and take the little chap out every hour. If he doesn't do anything then keep a close eye on him and take him out again in 10 mins and repeat until something happens then back to 1 hour. Be consistent and they do get it and it gets to the point where they wouldn't dream of doing inside their lovely home. I had many accidents with Otto and they stopped when I relied on a 1 hour kitchen timer to remind me to pop him out every hour. Also if he hasn't been out don't allow him in any carpeted areas (if you can...). You are doing well...
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Clown9644

Post by Clown9644 »

Today was a disaster. He drew blood about 4 times, my arms look like I got caught in a ground meat machine. Then he tore a corner of the good couch and just for kicks had a loose stool on the carpet. I lost it and he felt the vengeance of the fly swatter. Yep I feel bad but. Really wondering if I made a good decision or not on getting a puppy. But then he will smother me with kisses and we will go at it again tomorrow.

UPDATE: Well I don't give up that easy. Besides reading the "Pigs can't fly" I have just ordered the Video series "Puppy Culture The Film". The main reason is I do have a sight problem and it makes reading a very slow process for me whereas the video can be seen in a day. Besides I will have then gotten the 3 leading (according the them anyway) Dog Trainers as I also have the Dog Whisperer's book. What the heck, its only my kids inheritance ">}. I do believe I have spent more trying to come to terms with Chewy than I ever did with Bailey and Bear combined! Of course he was the one that left the pack to be with me and was also the instigator at puppy play with his siblings.

The saga continues!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi David - everyone goes through bad days when it can seem that no progress is being made or things are even getting worse. As long as this does not become a constant state of affairs, try to stay positive and things should improve. Puppies are babies mentally and, even as adults, rarely deliberately try to annoy or spite you. They react on a very basic level - cry when they are feeling pain, fear or loss, bite when they are suffering teething pain or feel threatened and cannot escape, pee or poo when they suddenly feel the urge. It is frustrating and as regards the biting is very difficult to stay calm when you are hurt. Puppy teeth are not strong but they are sharp and the older the person, the more fragile the skin so it is important to try and avoid getting bitten.

Do you have plenty of tug toys and safe chews? Try to always have a toy or chew item to hand or in your pocket so that whenever Chewy is close enough to nip you can guide his teeth on to the toy and avoid your hands or feet. Make sure that he is not getting overtired as this often means puppies get into biting and misbehaving. If Chewy does start acting up, give him some time out in a crate or playpen with a stuffed Kong or chew item to settle down and give you some peace. Some fabric chew toys can be put in the freezer for an hour or so before giving to a puppy and this can help relieve some of the teething pain Chewy may be suffering. I also wonder if you have any trusted family members or friends who can give you some help or a break with looking after Chewy for an hour or two as sometimes just a little while out of the house and a rest from a lively pup can be a useful breathing space. It is easy to become a bit overwhelmed and stressed when you are with a puppy 24/7.

The Puppy Culture series is an excellent resource. It has become a gold standard protocol for breeders who want to raise puppies in the best way possible. The earliest weeks can make a huge difference to how easily a puppy settles into a new home and encourage confidence and resilience to change and stress. If you have not got a puppy from a Puppy Culture breeder or someone who uses similar methods of raising puppies, it will mean that you, as the new owner, will have to tackle many issues from scratch and it may take longer to achieve good results. I think the video series is definitely worth watching as it does give an insight into puppy behaviour and understanding the best way to tackle issues.

I do hope that you can keep going with Chewy - keep in touch via the Forum as we are always ready to help in any way we can here :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi David,

We have all been there - it is a rollercoaster journey and the teething puppy stage is a real challenge that does pass. Just remember that when Chewy is awake he needs something to do, when he is doing something wrong he needs consistent firm and fair handling - we have all lost it at some point with sheer frustration. At the moment he thinks that you are the toy. I had two weeks of solid hand biting with my first schnauzer and was at my wits end. Then it just stopped. Antler chews are really good for puppies and can give you a breather and gives Chewy something to do. Routine is important. This way you can predict what is going to happen like when he gets tired. If Chewy doesn't respond to your high pitched yelps when he bites too hard then he needs a time out either in a room where you can close the door and he can be left safely for a few mins or in his pen (which some people don't recommend as it gives a negative association with something you want him to love - I never had a problem with doing that). After a few mins let him out and he will love to get back to you and if he repeats the behaviour then you repeat the behaviour. Pups don't like the "naughty step" and they do understand that biting removes them from the thing they love the most. I used to put toys in my pockets so that at any time if he was mouthing inappropriately I would shove one in his mouth and then off he would run with it. Be creative with the toys, my boys loved playing with a hard plastic food container - keeps them busy for hours although a bit noisy.

You have taken on a lot David but this is doable. I hope a couple of the guys on the forum post to give you some advice from their point of view. They have just gone through exactly the same experience. Keep your chin up! Tomorrow is another day.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Clown9644

Post by Clown9644 »

This morning was as close to perfect as I would ever hope for. As usual I woke up and got ready while Chewy watched me from his crate. I then take him out and carry him to the back door and let him out into our large fenced in yard. Chewy took care of morning business and came in to his treat. I now have my first coffee in hand and we sat in my chair watching the morning news. He was absolutely lovable and gave kisses and just was a perfect little guy, even taking a nap in my lap. He offered a couple of soft bites and all I did was say, ahh, and he stopped. Maybe, just maybe the light bulb is lighting inside that little head!! Unfortunately we could only do this for a little over half an hour and I had to get my day started, after I post my report to you guys. Yesterday was horrid, but today is starting off really nice. Busy day so he will have to have crate time. I still have a mindset that crating is almost punishment, even though he will once in a while get in by himself, he does prefer pulling the padding out of the bottom and napping just outside of the crate.

Thanks for the reassurance, I needed it.

Dave
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Clown9644 wrote:This morning was as close to perfect as I would ever hope for. As usual I woke up and got ready while Chewy watched me from his crate. I then take him out and carry him to the back door and let him out into our large fenced in yard. Chewy took care of morning business and came in to his treat. I now have my first coffee in hand and we sat in my chair watching the morning news. He was absolutely lovable and gave kisses and just was a perfect little guy, even taking a nap in my lap. He offered a couple of soft bites and all I did was say, ahh, and he stopped. Maybe, just maybe the light bulb is lighting inside that little head!! Unfortunately we could only do this for a little over half an hour and I had to get my day started, after I post my report to you guys. Yesterday was horrid, but today is starting off really nice. Busy day so he will have to have crate time. I still have a mindset that crating is almost punishment, even though he will once in a while get in by himself, he does prefer pulling the padding out of the bottom and napping just outside of the crate.

Thanks for the reassurance, I needed it.

Dave

Nice to hear things improving David.
Clown9644

Post by Clown9644 »

Just spent 90 minutes of bonding with Chewy! He is a real snuggle bunny first thing in the day and then ramps up to a crazy guy after dinner. We are changing things again as I try to figure out his "buttons". I have now barricaded him with a baby gate to the Den as he attacked another piece of furniture in the living room. Well I thought I was, as I am typing he just came prancing in! Guess I need to do better on the gate. I have closed the door in the computer room and he is with me. I want him to be near me at all times but until he stops chewing on furniture etc. I can't let him roam free, especially since I seem to forget about him for a few minutes. By the way, Bitter Apple seems to attract him rather than repel.
I am using a kitchen timer and he goes out every 60 minutes. So far we had one accident (?) as he pooped in his favorite spot within 10 minutes of being out. I thought I had him as I also put his crate in that area thinking he would not soil that area--wrong again.
In order to slow down the biting of my hands and arms we instituted a little gentle corporal punishment but tapping his nose with one finger and saying NO loudly. I encourage him when we are together with "No bite" and "good boy when he draws back.
I hope to have the video Thursday and have set aside 3 hours for my first watching. I will watch it a second time and take notes and then attempt to get this chore finished.

I honestly wish I had not started this venture. Of course loving the little guy as I do I will finish this crusade but as a 73 year old with old age issues that is trying to stay active in my life a puppy was not a brilliant choice. Now I wish I had gone to the local rescue and found me a nice older, more adaptable mutt. But, once you have a Mini you look at the rest as second best.

I hope I am not abusing this board by sharing my daily reports. It seems to help me put the day in order as we progress.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi David, I certainly don't feel abused with the daily update :)

It's funny how at some stage it just clicks with them. Rosie used to drive me mad as she had just come in from the garden so I thought I'd bought a few minutes of safety and then turning round would find a puddle of pee!

My wife wondered where my patience came from as I don't show the same tolerance towards my stepchildren's behaviour =))

Chewy will finally get it and that includes the biting though I must be honest and say Rosie never drew blood!!

The 3 or 4 months of hard work will pay handsome dividends and you'll be rewarded with a loving companion all of the time.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Clown9644

Post by Clown9644 »

Oh how I look forward to that day when it all "clicks". Thanks for the encouragement. I by the way seem to be fine with grand kids and have a short fuse for the puppy, but the kids don't damage as much stuff as he has!
Clown9644

Post by Clown9644 »

Hi group. been a while so thought I would do an update. Chewy is now9 1/2 months, had a baby K9 removed by the vet as it would not fall out and was solid on the outside of the adult k-9. I was hoping his chewing would diminish but he is still the most active chewer of all my dogs. I got Bear at 9 months and he did not chew a thing! Chewy has about destroyed a love seat that has skirting and nothing I have done slows him down. I have tried all of the bitters from the stores and he licks the bottle! I thought we had this behind us but he grabbed a length of couch about 2 hours ago. I am confining him from the living room for now. He also has another problem that I am taking the blame for. I will be on my computer for a period of time, he will come in with a toy and we play for a few minutes and he goes about his business, unfortunately it appears that sometimes those visits mean "Hey dad, I need to to go out NOW" because if I go back to that side of the house he has left me a present in the same area of the room. I let him out and clean it up, so far no spanking as now no matter the reason if he comes to me I just go and let him out! Like I said, I am apparently missing a signal. I have tried bells, all he does is chew on the line holding them in place til they break off, then he brings me the bell! But, with all my whining, he is a terrific companion!
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi David,

Good to get an update. It's funny how, no matter how much we can be frustrated by our mini's at times, the love we have for them is undiminished. Does Chewy still want to chew on you or has that fully stopped?
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Great to have an update.
Young puppies are more often chewers than not and you were lucky with Bear. It is usually a phase while they are teething and, as with the toilet training, the best solution always is to be vigilant and consistent. Take him out at every possible opportunity and learn to pick up his signals that he needs to go out. Until a puppy is a year old, they need almost constant attention when they are awake so that they do not have an opportunity to make mistakes. When you can't watch over Chewy or play with him, he should be confined in a playpen with a bed, plenty of toys and a special chew item to get his teeth into - a raw meaty bone is ideal or a Kong or similar with a tempting treat inside. Leaving a puppy unsupervised in the house or even a whole room is unfair by allowing access to many opportunities to do something you don't want him to and any mistakes he makes (whether chewing or going to the toilet indoors) will be most definitely your fault and not his. It is hard work in the early months with a new puppy and it is easy to forget just how hard sometimes when years have passed from a previous pup, but they are babies, and babies of a different species who do not understand the value we humans place on items or where we consider it OK or not OK to pee or poo. Chewy sounds like a lovely affectionate little companion and you don't want to spoil the bond you are building by acting in an oppressive way towards him. Physical punishment is rarely a good idea if you want to keep a happy relationship with a dog and could lead to him becoming anxious or aggressive as well as not having the effect you are hoping for anyway.
The more time you spend with Chewy now and the less opportunity you give him to make a mistake over what to chew or where to poo, the better your relationship will be in the coming years as he matures into an adult dog. Persevere with building a good relationship with him and trying to understand his needs and you will not regret it in the future :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/