Toilet Training HELP!!

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Toilet Training HELP!!

Post by Kazzi »

So Coco had a few accidents inside over the first few weeks, mainly down to times when we were busy (ie cooking dinner or similar) & missed the need to take her out. I started really treating up the toileting outside & giving lots of praise but we still had the odd accident. Now she is actively choosing to toilet inside. If I'm busy I have the back door open so she can go outside onto the terrace to do her business if she needs to - her habits are not on any kind of routine except first thing in morning ie she won't always poo after a meal sometimes it can be 30-90 minutes later. But the last couple of days she's gone outside had a sniff & then returned inside to toilet! Hubby is going mad, he doesn't mind an accident but the intentional choosing he won't accept, to be honest I'm pretty cross myself. We haven't taken it out on Coco but I need to do something else as the rewarding for going outside doesn't seem to be quite enough. Any advice please :ympray:
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Toilet Training HELP!!

Post by zeta1454 »

If you are not able to give Coco your full attention she should be in her crate or playpen. At this young age she will not yet necessarily know that an open door to outside means she should be going out to toilet. At least if she is confined in a particular place it will limit where she is leaving her scent (which can encourage pups to return to where they went before).
Do persist with trying to establish a routine and maybe also make a note of when she does go to see if it is regular. With a new puppy you really need to be taking them out very often (every hour if need be) until you know when she usually goes even if it is an hour after food or more and also to make sure that she has no opportunity to go in the house - at least not unless she is in her crate or playpen and most puppies are reluctant to do that in our experience:-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Good advice from Leigh.

I can share with you my similar experience with Otto who I found more difficult to house train than my 1st schnauzer. We were feeling like you are now and I decided to take a step back and almost start again with the house training. First thing I did was get very disciplined about the time and used my kitchen timer to mark the time that I thought he needed to be taken out again, that way there was no way of getting distracted which was the cause of much of my problem. I remembered the puppy "rules". Take them out first thing in the morning when they should wee and poo. If no poo after walk then bring back take out again 15 mins later, repeat until she has been to the toilet. Then feed and set alarm for between 30-60 mins after eating depending on how young they are. Take out to toilet. If no wee then you need to repeat every 15 mins until she has been once she has been set alarm for 1 hour and repeat the process. During this process when you bring her back in if she has not been to the toilet, do not take your eyes off her for one minute, if you have to then pop her in her crate/pen. Any sign that she might be about to toilet in the house and back out immediately. I guarantee you will get a house trained pup if you keep this up over a few days. She will get it, the routine is so important. Keep a record of what she does and when and you will see the routine develop and set, then you can start to extend the time periods because you can predict what is going to happen. It won't take long Karen, they are so good when they get it. Don't expect an untrained pup to go out of his/her own accord, you have to know whether they have been or not for this to work. Good luck.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Kazzi
First Name: Karen

Post by Kazzi »

thanks Leigh, Julie, apologies for the late reply. It was my daughter's birthday party & we had family to stay.
Coco had actually been looking to go outside & I was watching for her signals & it had all been pretty good so I got a bit complacent & distracted & we went a bit backwards. We don't have space for a puppypen in our kitchen & didn't want to crate her when I was around but doing things. I think now that my daughter is back in school I can focus more on Coco again. I've upped the ante with the treats & have a special treat for when she goes outside rather than use the same treat as for all her other training. Whilst the weather is still good she can safely be out on our terrace if I need to do something & can't keep an eye on her.
thanks for the recap on toilet training rules Julie, we've let these slide as we've just been spending so much time outside but won't so much now. Will let you know of our success!!
canadianstacey
First Name: Stacey

Post by canadianstacey »

I'm in a similar situation and could use some advice as well. Moose is only 10 weeks old so we expect accidents and we are still training with puppy pads inside the house. He hits them about 90% of the time and seems to understand that's where he goes but it seems outside has become for play. He loves going outside but just won't go to the toilet there. Occasionally he does but it doesn't seem to matter how often we take him out or the timing, once he's finished playing outside he comes back in and goes to the toilet. We have tried moving a puppy pad outside as he is familiar with this but that hasn't worked. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I would start from scratch by ditching the puppy pads inside. Crate train him so he is in his crate if you cant supervise him and start taking him out at regular intervals. You should have an idea by now how long he can last so make sure you start below that time threshold. Also taking him out as soon as he wakes from a nap, after food and after playtime.

If youre taking him out to toilet have him on a lead and only interact if he toilets by giving lots of praise and treats, we also use the command "pee pee". If after 5-10 mins he hasnt been then back inside in his crate and try a few minutes later. If hes going out to toilet then only play when hes been. That way he will learn difference between toilet time and play time and play becomes the reward for going to the toilet.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

I agree with Alison that you are probably better phasing out the puppy pads. You need to get Moose used to the idea that outside is where he goes to toilet. It also helps avoid the problem of him getting to think that any mat or puppy pad shaped item on the floor is OK to pee or poo on!

As suggested above, try to get into the routine of taking Moose outside very regularly and watch him to see if there are any signals he is giving as to needing to go at other times too. We have used a slightly different approach to that of taking a puppy out on a lead ( although that is a good strategy too) which is to set up a pen outside where a puppy will be taken initially when outside. This confines the pup to a much smaller space and helps concentrate their mind or at least provides few if any distractions and, as soon as they pee / poo give lots of praise and freedom to play and explore the whole garden. You will need to remain close by to watch for the moment he goes and there may be times when he doesn’t need to go but, if he hasn’t been, take him back indoors to a playpen or crate and repeat at a later time, as suggested above.

Good luck and perseverance and patience is the key. 10 weeks old is very young and it will take time for him to be wholly house trained :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Just to make you feel a bit better, I had to start again with Otto too. Trouble was I had it too easy with my first schnauzer and thought Otto would catch on quick too.... So back to the beginning with us at 10 weeks old to do it properly using a kitchen minute timer to make sure I was reminded of the time to go out and he then got it.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

zeta1454 wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 12:58
We have used a slightly different approach to that of taking a puppy out on a lead ( although that is a good strategy too) which is to set up a pen outside where a puppy will be taken initially when outside. This confines the pup to a much smaller space and helps concentrate their mind or at least provides few if any distractions and, as soon as they pee / poo give lots of praise and freedom to play and explore the whole garden.
I should have said we used the lead in the same way really to make sure puppy went to the same confined area every time, pee pee spot.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
canadianstacey
First Name: Stacey

Post by canadianstacey »

Thank you all for your assistance. It is working....slowly. Moose will now only poop outside and he will take himself out or wait at the door when he needs to go. Very pleased about that. Haven't quite got there with the wee though. As soon as he sniffs he's taken outside he'll sniff around and then generally lie down - if we bring him back in, then he wees. Still working on it so all advice appreciated. And no more puppy pads so glad we have hardwood!!