Miniature doesn’t like beds!

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
JustEmma07
First Name: Emma

Miniature doesn’t like beds!

Post by JustEmma07 »

Hello, I have a miniature schnauzer 18 months old and he has never used a bed. I’ve tried a variety of beds, a big fluffy one supposed to be good for anxiety, a table type bed (pretty low but off the floor), really nice thick fluffy mat type thing but he has never been interested.
He happily goes into his crate at night for a biscuit but he wouldn’t relax in there by choice through the day.
Anybody else’s mini the same? Or do I need to up my training?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Miniature doesn’t like beds!

Post by zeta1454 »

I wouldn’t worry if he is happy not sleeping in a bed. Two of our (male) dogs currently do tend to prefer to sleep on a sofa, on a mat on the floor or on a blanket in a crate rather than in a bed while the others are happy to snuggle down in a dog bed. I think it’s just individual temperament and where they feel most relaxed :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

It probably depends on what you are training for. If you don't have any issues with him using the sofas, might as well let him just use them? My current pup (he's 11 months) ditched using his bed too and sleeps on the livingroom loveseat mostly. He also has a play mat with a fan that he lies on mostly during the day but he'll just plop himself anywhere really lol. Your boy sounds like he's comfortable at night in his crate - that's really good - he probably just wants to be around you during the day.
JustEmma07
First Name: Emma

Post by JustEmma07 »

I agree, Ithink he just likes to be close. It doesn’t bother me really but wish he had somewhere he loved for when I’m not there. He looks so sad lying next to the door 😢
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

JustEmma07 wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 16:07 I agree, Ithink he just likes to be close. It doesn’t bother me really but wish he had somewhere he loved for when I’m not there. He looks so sad lying next to the door 😢
If you have beds around that he could use and he doesn’t, I am sure he is OK. Schnauzers can put on a sad look for sure! He may not stay lying by the door once you have left although even if he does he may be happy there, guarding until you return.

One of our minis years ago who was not a great fan of beds loved a sheepskin rug we bought while on holiday in Wales. It was a Jacob’s sheep-skin and looked lovely and while we were at the holiday cottage she would lie on it on halfway up the stairs where there was a small landing with a little window to the outside. Once we got home it became a dog rug effectively but that was fine….and 20 years on we still have it and some of our dogs now use it too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I'm not sure because I have yet to get a camera, but pretty sure my pup chills on the loveseat when we are not home or on his mat like he always does. He can peak over the loveseat to see out the window, so pretty sure he waits there. We haven't left him all that long yet since things are only starting to open.