Barking

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
meggy156
First Name: Hazel
Dog #1: Meg
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Apr 2014
Dog #2: Molly
Born: 27 May 2015

Barking

Post by meggy156 » 09 Oct 2018, 09:40

My Schaunzer will not stop barking at people walking by. If they have a dog it's worse almost an aggressive bark. Also when she is out for a walk it's not a pleasure to take her. Continuous barking. I have sprayed her with water helps for a few minutes, then hell breaks out again. Honesty I am pulling my hair out. Neighbours are giving dirty looks now. Can't blame them really. Any ideas please .

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Barking

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 09 Oct 2018, 14:28

Hi Hazel,

First up, schnauzers like to bark and they especially seem to like to bark at anything passing by and got help us if someone actually walks up the path to the front door :)

You can train them to stop this but it is much easier when they are pups ( I see your girls are 3 and 4). That said they will get there with patience and consistent training.

I would never use a deterrent or punishment when training so the use of water, while you may get immediate relief, it will, as you've found out, not last. You will get better long term results using rewards for encouraging the behaviour you want. Generally speaking it is better if you dog does something because it knows you want them to rather than because they're afraid of being punished.

What I have found to help with my oldest one (who is 15 months) is to do some basic training (sit, stay, paw etc) in the hall rewarding her with a high value treat each time. During this I will knock on the door, letting her see me do it, and I reward her immediately she stops (I use a clicker to identify the moment) and give her a small piece of cooked chicken. Eventually the connection is made that if she's quiet she gets rewarded. I should add that there's no point in shouting at her to stop as this usually ramps up the excitement.

I then moved into our front room but kept the blinds closed so that she can't see out and do the same exercises but get my wife to knock on the door. Of course she'll run into the hall and bark and then come back to me for more rewards. I don't mind that I just want her to stop when told - our command is "that'll do".

Eventually we were able to move onto opening the blinds bit by bit. This is not a quick fix but it does work - eventually.

When out walking on the lead she is only barky if started by a dog or runner so I take on the role of lookout and when I see something that I know may cause a reaction, I make her stop, sit and stay and give her a treat for sitting still. This is something too that took a little while to become ingrained but we got there :)

Love to know how you get on should you try this out - just don't expect instant results.
You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 09 Oct 2018, 15:01

Hazel

It does sound like you need the expertise of a behaviouralist to help you put a plan together because this is not simple at all to stop. At the moment, she is fearful of people (and dogs) and barking is her defence mechanism. Her experience is that if she barks she gets rewarded by dogs and people staying away or moving away. Job done and success in her mind. If it was just dogs then I have recently shared a post on what I am doing with Otto which is slowly but surely working. If it was just in the home/garden then there are things you can do as Sam suggests. Unfortunately, on walks, people are everywhere and this makes it doubly hard when you want to put distance between them and your dog to manage the fear and build confidence. That's why I think you need some expert help. They will take a walk with you and see for themselves what is triggering the behaviour, is she frightened for herself, you, your other dog or all of those things. They will look at what you are doing in the home that might be reinforcing the fears. They will advise how best to resolve it. Ask your vet if they can recommend someone and maybe your insurance will cover the costs. The sooner the better if you don't want this to become engrained behaviour. I do wish you the best of luck as I know how you must be feeling.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 09 Oct 2018, 17:01

Following on from what Julie's post; I should have added that what I did (and continue to do with Rosie) is a plan that was the result of a consultation with an behaviourist who spent 6 hours with us in the house, out driving and out on walks. As I'm insured with Petplan, they picked up the cost of the behaviourist provided that the referral was initiated by a vet. They took off the usual excess of £100. To give you an idea of cost, a suitably qualified behaviourist will charge somewhere around £250 for the consultation and a report with a recommend plan of action.

The behaviourist must have certain qualifications to be acceptable to the insurer.
You're never alone when you own a schnauzer