Problems when out walking

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
TheCaptain
Puppy
First Name: Andy
Dog #1: Oakley

Problems when out walking

Post by TheCaptain »

My male schnauzer is 18 months old. I have a problem when we are out walking in that Oakley, when he sees other dogs begins yapping loudly and starts pulling towards them. It is getting rather embarrassing!
hart
First Name: odette

Re: Problems when out walking

Post by hart »

Thats not a problem thats schnauzer behaviour LOL, LOTS OF US have the same "problem" don't worry about it. Just try to distract him with food before the barking gets too much. My Shadow has a complete melt down and barks for eternity even when the other dog has long gone.
Wookie Woo
First Name: Helen
Dog #1: Wookie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 01 Sep 2009

Post by Wookie Woo »

Wookie does that sometimes, it's like she has to get to another dog & say hello or makes such silly noises, but doesn't do it every time she see's a dog.
She is fine with every dog no matter how big or small.
Helen & Gary - owners of "Wookie" (since 11.6.2011)  born 1.9.2009 (Mini Schnauzer)
Previously owned Lucy our lovely cocker spaniel.
http://www.happydogwalksandpetcare.co.uk/
MieleMoo
First Name: Nik
Dog #1: Miele
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 28 Jun 2011

Post by MieleMoo »

Miele does that as well but only when she is on the lead, then when the other dog takes an interest she hides behind me. I'm not worried becasue her tail is wagging so I know it's just a friendly "hello". Distraction with treats or a toy usually works.
Miele: 28/06/2011
My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

Oakley sounds just like Stanley....wish i knew the answer!
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Dee sharp
First Name: Deena
Dog #1: Chloe
Born: 07 Apr 2000
Dog #2: Monty
Born: 30 Dec 2011

Post by Dee sharp »

When walking Chloe, I dread meeting up with any greyhounds, as she absolutely hates them, pulling on her lead and barking her head off. On the other hand, she loves golden labs or retrievers and has a special, high pitched squeal which she reserves for them %-(

I also find that she tries to dominate any dogs which are walked off lead, but she'll ignore the same dog if it's on a lead??

What's that all about :-\
Mike Jackson
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Boris
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Dec 2013
Dog #2: Bertie
Born: 14 Jul 2009
Dog #3: Arthur
Born: 08 May 2011

Post by Mike Jackson »

Bobbie starts screaming at the top of her voice if she sees another dog when she's on the lead. You'd think someone was torturing her the noise she makes. I used to try and stop it but it wouldn't work so now I just pretend it's not happening.
hart
First Name: odette

Post by hart »

LOL see i told you it's a common behaviour. just part of schnauzer "make up" it appears
Wolfmother
First Name: Allison
Dog #1: Ludo
Born: 22 Jan 2012

Post by Wolfmother »

Its part of life for us too! Fortunately I was prepared as I had done lots of research and was aware they are a vocal breed It only bothers me when you get the occasional negative comment which is understandable but sometimes the comments are "look out for the aggressive dog" he's not aggressive, he doesn't even look aggressive when he is doing it, he just has a big gob!!
Mummy to Agent Ludo, Ludwig, The Ludofski, or Ludo to you, born 22/1/12
clm

Post by clm »

Hi,

Our 18-week old male mini Schnauzer - Basil - sounds just like Oakley! Virtually anything that moves gets the yapping/straining at the lead treatment (we've got him a flexi-lead so that he can explore whilst still under control). Because we live in a built-up area we're really concerned to at least minimise if not eliminate the barking. The big problem is that advice seems to be very contradictory - distract with treats, a firm "no", lots of off-lead opportunities with other dogs - you name it, we've heard it! So what do you think you SHOULD you be doing to address this in a puppy? Any advice gratefully received,

Clare
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

Oh this sounds oh so familiar! LOL

The trick here, as I've learned the hard and expensive way is to understand why they bark. It could be excitement 'Oh boy oh boy, there's a DOG mamma, can I play?' or it could be fear 'Oh no, a DOG! Better bark like a big boy and scare him away quick'

With the latter, the technique normally works for them - they bark and the dog goes away. Result! The fact that the dog was going the other way anyway is irrelevant to them, as far as they're concerned they made it happen and now that it's worked once, they'll try it again. The removal of the thing that worried them is what they call a functional reward - so it's the same relief we get when we see the spider like a dinner plate run out the back door.

Using food and/or toys the dog finds rewarding if they're fearful can do more harm than good. I was told to do this but actually, what I thought was distraction 'Hey LB, stop barking and have some chicken instead' was actually just rewarding his reaction and reinforcing his fearful state of mind 'Yes I know that Yorkshire Terrier looked menacing, here have some chicken for barking so hard.'

So, million dollar question is how do you tell the difference between excitement and fear?

It's hard! Dogs who are fearful will often, but not always bark while going backwards or angling their body back, even if their feet stay still. They might also freeze on sight of the other dog; LB freezes and whines and now, thanks to loads of training, will look at me with a 'What now?' kind of expression instead of launching into a bark-a-thon. Other signs of stress include lip licking (hard to see under Schnauzer beards admittedly) and tellingly, a shake once the 'danger' has gone. It's well worth watching some You Tube videos to get the idea of what to look for.

With young dogs it's more likely to be excitement and a desire to play and meet other dogs, but wanted to flag this to hopefully cover off all of the bases just in case. As I said, I got it wrong and it's taking a heck of a lot of time, patience and investment in fixing an established problem.

Making sure that they get enough dog on dog social time is really important too as if they know lots of dogs and know they'll get to play with them every day, they're a little less desperate to meet every new dog they clap eyes on.

Hope this is of some help :-)
The Little Bear Dog Blog - Living, Loving and Learning with a 'problem dog'
http://thelittlebeardogblog.wordpress.com/
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014

Post by summer46 »

Zeke can bark like a maniac and at everything he has his hi pitched squeal when he is excited and a deeper bark for warning things off. Summer was the same up until she hit 2 then she seemed to take things more in her stride and tends to only bark when she wants to warn people off.
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
clm

Post by clm »

Thanks for such a helpful response Little Bear - you've given us loads to think about! Have also enjoyed reading a couple of your recent blogs too :) Clare
Little Bear

Post by Little Bear »

clm wrote:Thanks for such a helpful response Little Bear - you've given us loads to think about! Have also enjoyed reading a couple of your recent blogs too :) Clare
clm wrote:Thanks for such a helpful response Little Bear - you've given us loads to think about! Have also enjoyed reading a couple of your recent blogs too :) Clare
Thanks Clare! :) And thanks for reading the blog :-)

If you want to chat more do PM me, I'm no expert but always happy to talk dog!
The Little Bear Dog Blog - Living, Loving and Learning with a 'problem dog'
http://thelittlebeardogblog.wordpress.com/
blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

Can I make a point to Clare (clm) that flexi-leads can be very dangerous both to dogs and humans if not very carefully used.

It would be better to get a long training lead and do lots of recall work - the sooner you get your puppy off-lead the better and at 18 weeks he should be fully off-lead in a safe place every day if possible.

Work done now will pay off massively in the future as having good recall enables your dog to explore and learn so much for himself, very soon he will have lots of confidence and then recall training will be harder.

I agree with the post from Little Bear.

Although I'm not a fan of Jan Fennell Dog Listener one of her techniques has proved very useful - it's called a Calm Freeze.
It's like a time-out which can be used when you're outside but it takes time to teach.
Just Google Calm Freeze and you'll get instructions on how it works.
I've found it can be a help to calm down a dog when they get excited and the shriek-barking can border on hysterical so it's good to have calming techniques to use.
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer