Sudden attack

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
teenagetrainer
Puppy
First Name: amanda

Sudden attack

Post by teenagetrainer »

Hi I have an almost 5 year old miniature schnauzer bitch having previously owned a giant. She is friendly with all dogs preferring them over people I would say but I have just got back from the local field where a dog we've seen before approached her in a playful way and she full on attacked him suddenly. I tried to grab her by the scruff of her neck but she wriggled free and carried on till I got her collar. I felt awful. I don't think she drew blood but I am very upset. The only time she's ever done this before is with 2 local shitszu type dogs that are always out In their garden barking and she dislikes them - she did it to one of them once at the field. Other than that she goes all over off lead and plays great with all breeds large and small male and female. She meets up with 3 dog friends once a week and doesn't show pack mentality then. I would say she's bullying a dog who is a bit of a wuss but I don't know how to tackle it because it's only the 2nd ever time in 5 years and I don't feel she needs a muzzle on all the time but it's obviously unpredictable behaviour. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Amanda
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Sudden attack

Post by Robin black mini »

...on the whole she seems 75 per cent proof...so you have to be super vigilant and know she's not going to be 100 per cent proof predictable..
I'd suggest going back to a long line for the near future,then letting her off in areas you have scanned and considered safe.
You may never have a 100 per cent angel on your hands but that's why they are terriors( terrorists)
The other day I was in my chemists with Robin..a lady announced loudly ," my but she's so tranquil ( in Italian it sounds so much better... )I looked round for the other dog,but she was addressing my alpha girl Robin..I was head swimming with bronchitis,but took the compliment..my dog smirked,I kid you not, and went to the lady for chin scratches( unheard of).
I use my local market as a meter for my training...if she ignores all dogs she gets a ten..if she growls or barks we deduct points...my hub always asks for the score when he picks us up..so even at three years old,we still have our challenges,but they are few and far between now thank goodness.

P.s.
If you think you are going to be faced with a dog fight,I'd suggest carrying a pop up umbrella..small and portable,but opens in a flash at the press of a button and can separate fighting dogs in an instant.....you can block contact,but have to have the other owner on hand to address their dog whilst you sort out your own...
Life in the Italian countryside can be ver unpredictable,so this was one method we used when walking my rottie.