Barks at small children

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Stokeybird
First Name: Cathy

Barks at small children

Post by Stokeybird »

Hi there
Muggle is nearly 8 months and barks at the normal things, vacuum, people at the door, wheelie bins ....
However a few months ago a very excited 3 year old screamed at him and now when we go out if he sees a child of roughly the same age he barks at them ! He only wants to play but his bark sounds quite aggressive and if they come up and pet him he’s fine.
Anyone else have this issue ? Any ideas on how to help him please would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Barks at small children

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Yes I had that problem with my previous schnauzer who was a real wuss. It is a difficult one and needs lots of experience of positive interaction with children. The trouble is you never quite know what children are going to do so that makes you nervous and the dog senses that. It helps if you have friends/relatives with small children where you can get them to offer treats to Muggle and or you can give Muggle treats whilst being really close to children but you need the children to be quite still. The other option if you can't manipulate the situation is to use distraction techniques with treats. As soon as you see a child and it has Muggle's attention hopefully just before a bark then treat to distract until child has passed. If you keep doing that I think the problem will subside. It will take some time though so lots of patience required.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Peggy
Puppy
First Name: Hazel

Post by Peggy »

Hello
We have a similar thing going on with our dear Stanley, but it's not limited to small children. Teenagers, adults, ladies in bright socks, you name it!
We are trying the distraction technique, so always gave treats whenever we go out. We say 'look at me' to get his attention if someone is passing and give him a treat. Or we cross over the road to avoid the situation....Some walks he behaves perfectly, but some days he's just in one of those moods and barks at everyone and sometimes just at the wind! I wish I could help him more as he seems quite stressed when he gets so agitated. ....
We try to be really consistent with it, he's 2 now and started with the barking about 9 months ago in earnest!
Good luck!
bob
Puppy

Post by bob »

Having had 3 Minis I think that you just accept that this breed barks .

Maybe parents could train their children. I always introduced our dogs to the children with an explanation that my dog was just talking to them.

I think that to try to stop your dog barking will be an uphill battle.
Having lost our mini 6 months ago at age 14 we would be happy to let her bark if she was still with us.
Minibyng
Puppy
First Name: Kevin

Post by Minibyng »

Our mini is 2 yrs old now and barks at young children and toddlers. I think she tries to warn them away cause she knows they can be a bit rough or insensitive to handling.
The advice given by the puppy trainer was to have treat ready and reward before the bark comes. It distracts them and gives a positive to encountering little kids but treating like this is difficult and not as easy as treating a paw, leave, stay or sit behaviour which gives a reward after the action. The theme being treat good behaviour. I don't think we got it right or were consistent / persistent enough. It's a bit like with meeting other dogs too. 98% she likes all dogs she meets but every now and then, bark bark bark. God only knows what language they speak between them.