Who is this cocky fella and what have you done with Otto?

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Who is this cocky fella and what have you done with Otto?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Otto is 10.5 months old and maturing rapidly. Hormone levels are zooming, back legs get thrust backwards on a good sniff or important wee. Brimming with confidence and running off when off lead (not doing that again until recall sorted :( ). Getting aggressive with very friendly male dogs. Choosing to forget key commands. A testing time however, he has become more cuddly and wanting to cuddle up at night or sleep by my feet. The aggressiveness is a worry, I had a feeling that he would become snappy with male dogs. I have made an appointment for his big boy op in 4 weeks time, husband is disappointed, I have told him not to worry as he isn't next :D Will also take opportunity to titre test, that's the dog not husband....
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Re: Who is this cocky fella and what have you done with Otto?

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Julie,

Did you through the same situation with Oscar when he was adolescent?
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

oh Julie.. so Otto has been getting up to mischief do hope he settles after his op. Gino was fine bounced back within 48 hours, didn't bother with his stitches, didn't need the ugly lampshade I used a babygro on him but only at night or if he was on his own while I nipped to the shops. It was my husband that wanted him done but I was happy too
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Sam, not with Oscar, he always grumbled at us in fact always grumbled if he got picked up and then grumbled when you put him back down :-\ but he never ever showed any aggressiveness or growling towards other dogs - even if they attacked him he wouldn't defend himself. He would just cower. We never saw any reason to have Oscar neutered, only down side was that male dogs didn't like him and he got bit a lot. Otto is completely different. I think he would seriously bite another dog but he has never so much as growled at us. Also Oscar never humped anything but Otto would like to have a good hump at my arm (or ear) if given the chance but that wouldn't be a reason to have him neutered because he soon stops when told. It is the aggression that is starting with no provocation that is worrying. I have to say it but for a small dog he has the most enormous testicles. :-o :ymblushing:
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Christine, I am hoping that Otto bounces back as well as Gino. Going to buy some pants for him as he will be too hot in an all in one.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Well after another show of aggression towards a dog that was barking and running towards us the training treat bag is back out and we are trying to establish the basics again. I have a feeling that a lot of this behaviour is about protecting me so have assumed leadership detail again and hoping that Private Otto gets back into his rightful place once more. Very promising start this morning.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Hang in there Julie..What you are describing in the first post is typical for his age...his hormones are as much as seven times higher than they will be in a few months time when he is fully adult..I personally would keep up with his training as you are doing,keep the long line in use to keep him out of scuffles and I bet he will come through this. The posts that are written about this classic rebellion phase when all your good work flies out of the window would fill many a book.
I hope you get your boy back soon,he's still in there somewhere . If you do neuter,I'd personally wait a few more months to see if he does settle back down once he's through this classic phase.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

The training is definitely helping. He was very unsettled last night after meeting a female. I have never seen him wag his tail when he meets a dog of any sex but my goodness I thought he was going to turn into a helicopter there was so much wagging going on. He now understands what girls are for I think and doesn't want to come home after a walk. I used to think he was stubborn but I think we can add a couple of verys in front of that. Very aggressive to a passive border terrier this morning. He is a friend's old dog and was entire. Over friendly with another friend's little girl. We've got 4 weeks before the op and I am trying to keep him away from dogs generally during this time. I didn't have this bother with my first schnauzer - they are so different. Where is the emoji for hair being pulled out.....
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

I don't disagree with you neutering him,but just think another few months would be good for him to settle his hormones and for you to decide this is best for him ( and you) . Eg for me I'd consider 18 m is a good age if nothing changes.....
My dog experience is with females,I've only had two boys in all...so no expert on the boys.
My current ,entire ,male is now five and a half...he marks on walks,but never at home..never humped,never attacked a dog..
He likes his space with other entire males,but he is not assertive,nor aggressive and definitely a middleof the road fellow..
In his case I think he needs his hormones to keep his confidence.. We will reassess around eight when possible prostate conditions can become an issue.
I definitely agree they are all so different and support your decisions in what you decide.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Just a quick update. Otto is 1 year old now and his behaviour has changed for the better. He is still entire as I decided to cancel the appointment due to a tummy upset a couple of days before it was due and then took the opportunity to hold off for a while. Strangely it might have been helped by two dogs attacking him (unprovoked) and fortunately not doing any harm. The separate incidents shook him and he has become more reserved. The rare attempts to hump my arm have stopped also. Good advice to wait and watch I think - at least in my case. But I clearly will have the same problem as I had with Oscar in that some male dogs do not like entire males. Oscar was regularly attacked and bitten occasionally. Fortunately they both seem to be good duckers and divers. A dog sneezed at Otto yesterday and he jumped out of his skin....
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

He sounds just like Barney used to be, and it was always black Labradors that would be a problem. They do settle down and they do learn not all dogs wants to be sniffed. Barney got a taste of his own medicine the other day when we met 2 St Bernards. One just would not leave him alone with his nose up Barneys bum. Barney got fed up stood on his back legs, puffed himself up and snarled in his face. So funny seeing this huge thing then cower on the ground to this little white dog. He left him alone then.

Although being entire and coming across unsprayed female scent is another matter.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Well that is curious Alison, it is black labradors with Otto as well and he used to be very funny with very friendly ones. That was until a black Labrador went for him. Now he goes into if I lie down in the grass and freeze I won't be seen mode. I am a bit puzzled about the unspayed female. We came across an Irish terrier that was in season, it was early morning and the owner asked whether he was entire and warned me, he said she had had one very brief season and this was a full season - no idea what the difference is. Otto didn't react at all, had a good sniff and watched her walk away. Not what I expected at all.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I've come across a few owners of smaller dogs that have had problems with black labs. Barney holds back from them now, views them all with suspicion.

Its strange because its only this past year that Barney loses his head when he gets the scent. Not long ago he was in super hyper mode in the same area for a few times over a couple of weeks. One morning he was beside himself following scent, he even went scurrying off and lost sight of me which is not him at all. He then found 2 spaniels one of which I can only describe as very actively flirting her bum in his face. He was beside himself salivating and sniffing. Owner said she'd just finished her season, which then explained the previous walks as he'd been walking them on the quiet cliff paths.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"