Chasing / Barking at Football / Basketballs

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
littleeng
Puppy
First Name: Benjamin

Chasing / Barking at Football / Basketballs

Post by littleeng »

Hi all.
Our mini is now 6 months old and has been a dream to train and is now a treasured member of our family. He is passed biting, listens to commands (although his recall still needs a lot of work when distracted) and doesn't bark in the apartment. However, when we are walking in the park he has started yapping and attempting to chase large balls. I keep him on a lead in parks when sport is being played in the near periphery. I bought a football and played with him in our garden area, teaching him to sit and stay rather than chase the ball. He is doing okay, but as soon as we take him outside proper, his ears will prick up on sight of a sport and he'll pull on the lead. I try rewarding him when he doesn't pay attention to the nearby sports, but those moments are few and far between. I wondered if anyone had any specific tips and personal successes for getting him past this? I would ideally like to let him off lead in the parks of London without the risk of him interrupting a sports game! Until then, he is often now only off lead when he is playing with his dog buddies.

Thank you in advance.
Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Chasing / Barking at Football / Basketballs

Post by Robin black mini »

At six months he still has a lot of growing up to do....he obviously loves his chase game with the toy so I'd work with that...long line him on a harness in the park,take a squeaky toy ,ball etc....then work him on throw ,recall/ retrieve with this toy...only use the toy in this place...it should be special for him.
As he matures,if you continue working his recall in many different situations,you can start working him closer to the areas " at risk" ,but with the safety of a long line so he doesn't become the star player on the match lol....if you are consistent you should overcome this as he matures.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Hi Benjamin,

Love to see a few recent photo's of him as he was quite a cutie in February :)

My mini, Rosie is now 11 months old. She used to chase anything that took her fancy and still likes to chase the gulls when off the lead on a beach :).

I started with basic training and when she was solid with the lie down command I then placed a small treat within her reach and over time built up to being able to leave the room and come back without her eating it as she was waiting to hear "take it". It's the same when I let her off the lead, she stays with me unless I say "off you go".

Every day I still do a few minutes of basic training with her using some kibble and will always re-enforce the recall command when she's of the lead as I want that to be an automatic response.

I wonder could you take him to a soccer game at a park, keeping him on a long training lead and do some basic training with him - sit, lie down etc . That way he'd learn to ignore the distraction through time. You'll know how quick the mini's are to pick up what you want them to do.

I've no doubt at all that your boy will soon have the testosterone flowing and will "forget" everything you've managed to teach him to date. All adolescents will do that but just keep re-enforcing the behaviour you want and be sure that he's rewarded and he'll come through the "teenage years" unscathed.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

Looks like Jo and I agree on this :) - while I was typing up my response Jo must have posted hers.

littleeng
Puppy
First Name: Benjamin

Post by littleeng »

Thank you for the tips. Luckily there are 5 a side football games in the park on the weekend, so I can take him for specific training with those known distractions every week with a long line.

And for a photo update, here he is 2 weeks ago still with his fuzzy face.
Schnauzer Sam

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

What a handsome boy. He's gorgeous. Thanks for the pic and good luck with the training.

Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Post by Robin black mini »

Ooh another black beauty..my favorite color.
since you mentioned his head ,if you are going to home groom I recommend you read the draxpark link especially for the head..
Are you stripping his coat or is he being clipped?
Here's a great link,scroll down to head..
http://www.draxpark.cc/grooming.php
Let us know if you need any help.