Anti bark collars

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Valentino
First Name: James
Dog #1: Tilly
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 19 May 2012

Anti bark collars

Post by Valentino »

Hello All,

I'm thinking of getting one of those vibrating anti-bark collars for my standard. She's not particularly vocal, but she barks like made in the car when she sees other dogs and the odd random stranger that she doesn't like the look of. We've tried a water squirter, which works, but it's too difficult and dangerous to use when you're driving.

Views on the vibrating collars please?

Cheers

James
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Anti bark collars

Post by Dawnspell »

Personally I wouldn't use one, schnauzers are very sensitive. One vibrate and Barney would run off if he saw the collar again, I know they're not the shock type you're talking about.
Have you tried looking at how she travels in the car. Reducing her visibility by putting her in a crate and using those mesh sun visor things to restrict her view.

Also try teaching the "Shhush" command as we call it. Make sure you have rock solid command around home before trying it in testing conditions in the car otherwise you'll be setting yourself up for failure. It will take time but it works as we had the same problem if Barney saw horses in and out of the car. Now he's quite happy for one to walk straight past him on a walk and not a murmur.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"