Stopping when walking home

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Stopping when walking home

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Has anyone else had a problem where their dog refuses to walk home. Otto does like to stand and observe from time to time. I always give him a couple of mins until he walks on or give him a gentle tug and he then continues. I often talk him out of going in a different direction if he wants to cross a road when I don't want to. Lately though walking him home along my Lane has become more of a problem. He stops at the start of the Lane feet dug in and/or sometimes sits. I know that he isn't tired because if I say ok let's go your way and turn round he merrily continues. I can normally encourage him along with a bit of running, playing and talking to him but it takes ages and I would like some ideas of what is causing this. I have been taking him out after his dinner so that is one thing I am going to change particularly because of the dark nights coming along. That way he has something to look forward to and he loves his food. The other thing I have been doing differently is because of harvest mites, I have been giving him a thorough brush/comb through after his walk. I wonder whether he is anticipating the end of the walk groom and decided he would rather not bother. In the morning I take him before breakfast and I do have a similar problem. When he was a pup this used to happen and I used to think he was tired maybe. I gave him my glove to carry in his mouth and he used to trot along with that so I might try that again. Any one else got experience of this, OH took him out early evening tonight and he ended up carrying him all the way back down the Lane :(
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Stopping when walking home

Post by mikegoodson1 »

I'm not sure I can offer an explanation but I think your guess of anticipating the brush may be correct :D

My Oscar has done the same thing twice.

Once when he was little I put a raincoat on him when going out on a night-time walk, I got him out of the house and he literally just stopped on the pavement, not moving at all. He would not budge, even with loads of cajoling, he just looked up at me...not happy. As soon as I took the coat off, he trotted on and was fine for the rest of the walk :)

The second time was last week on holiday. My wife took Oscar and Sasha out for a walk whilst I was still in the house and apparently after a few steps down the road, he just stopped and would not move, he was looking back at the house we were staying at, he knew I was still there. My wife said she tried everything to move him and in the end, she gave up and had to come back to the house. He was then happy :)

So I guess I am saying our Schnauzers can be stubborn but they know their own mind :D
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks Mike, looks like a change of routine has worked. He couldn't wait to get home for his dinner. :)

Your story is familiar to me. If me and OH are out with Otto he believes that if he left home with two human carers then he should return with two. Sometimes OH wants to go get a newspaper or something and I decide to walk home first with Otto - not allowed to do that according to Otto who's feet will be firmly planted until the other human carer comes back. :D Also a coat on Otto or Oscar was like a slab of concrete on his back. Oscar's back used to buckle beneath it and he wouldn't move and if ever one of the straps hung down one side he would go round and round in a circle trying to get away from it. =))
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam »

They're right funny little dogs. Rosie has a google map of our area imbedded in her brain and knows where all the turnings are to get home the shortest way. Sometimes when she's feeling a little lazy she'll sit down with the front legs splayed as anchors and will look in the direction that she thinks we should be going. Thankfully she just plods along now when out with Edie who likes to lead the way even though she's got no idea of where she's going :)
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Post by mikegoodson1 »

That's funny you mention that Sam. When walking Oscar and Sasha together on the lead, she does everything in her power to forge ahead and make sure she is in front :) it makes me smile every time I see her bumping Oscar out of the way (with a little shimmy of her bum) to get in front :D