Barking at people

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Einsteinsmom
First Name: Niamh

Barking at people

Post by Einsteinsmom »

My ten month old schnauzer is an absolutely fantastic little dog. But he has one major vice, barking and lunging with people on walks. He doesn't bark at people with dogs, or dogs. Only people alone, mainly runners, cyclists, children or people emerging out of doors. I've worked really hard with him, treating him when we see people, ignoring the barking (and him when barking) and giving him lots of treats and praise when he doesn't bark. Walking him away quickly (which is what puppy class recommended) saying no sharply and and giving a tug on the lead. The latest thing I've tried is moving him around me in a figure of eight when barking, and giving him tons of cuddles and kisses and treats when he gets by without barking. This was going really well and we were making lots of progress until the last week or so when he's slid backwards massively. He's had a tough week the poor little guy, he had to go to the vet for an ear flush under anesthetic so maybe it's that why we've lost all the progress we've made. I'm just starting to feel very frustrated and fed up. Every method I've tried we make some progress then it goes back to square one. This was the most progress I had made with the barking. I think we're going to get a behaviorist now, hopefully that'll help. But any more ideas would be great.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Barking at people

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Niamh, I know exactly what you are going through. My mini is now ok with everything except with some dogs he is aggressive. In the last month or so we hit a milestone and he now ignores children, he actually walks past them without being skittish and worrying me - what an achievement that is. Good days and bad days and some days I come home from a walk really fed up, on the bad days, I can lose patience with him and that doesn't help. Next day though is another day and off we go with renewed vigour. I do think he has goldfish memory tendencies though so can relate to square one..... I think you are doing all the right things. Do you speak to him in a really jolly way as someone approaches. I know it is difficult if someone surprises but I have found it really works when approaching a dog - not all the time but a lot better than it was. I must look absolutely ridiculous saying things like "look who this is, let's go and meet them" in a singing high pitched voice. It seems to relax him followed up with the lots of cuddles and kisses. The anesthetic has probably set you back as you thought too. A behaviourist will watch what you are doing and hopefully confirm you are doing the right things are help correct you and improve them. You can't go wrong really. Good luck but to repeat... I feel your pain!
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
EmG+
Puppy
First Name: Emily

Post by EmG+ »

Im in the bark brigade aswell so feel your pain! My 2 tend to set eachother off, and our problems are generally other dogs on/off lead, its not agression and fine if they meet but i dont allow a meet if we're in crazy bark mode.

Took me months of different tactics and a softly treat approach doesn't have much effect.

We ended up with personal trainer for a few sessions and life is on the up.

First big change came from changing collars, we went with trainers recommendations which gives much more control and makes them pay attention very quick with even lightest tug. At first sign of whimper or bark, we short sharp tug with a firm NO. This is one.

https://www.ezydog.co.uk/luca-lite-lead

Forgot to add we use Luca lead as variation 3 on video, a halter type. They sometimes try to get it off but using distraction device with a no/leave stops that.

We've also found using a distraction tactic by means of 'pet corrector' compressed air can. A squirt near/above works wonders... but only on 1 dog, the other couldn't care less! This is it... If you're going to try it I'd say start with smaller can as expensive if it has no effect.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/pet-corr ... gJSevD_BwE

Our youngest Rupert was the hardest but thankfully cheapest fix. Only thing we found to grab his attention turns out to be gravel in a bottle used as a shaker.

Takes a little getting used to but with 1 dog should be fine, short sharp tug of leash, rattle of gravel shaker (or spray of air) with a firm No or quite often not saying anything for us is working well. Only been a few weeks but huge improvement and slowly regaining our confidence with them.

We've also found less is more, we're getting better response just correcting bad behaviour than praising good. If they behave or walk well with no bark just carry on.

Every dog is different though and what works for one may not for another, we're a prime example of that!

Once you found what works and see even the slightest improvement its a great feeling! Best of luck
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Niamh and welcome to the Forum :-)

Adolescence in dogs is just as challenging at times as with humans and, at ten months of age, your schnauzer is going through lots of hormonal changes and will try your patience in the process. Barking and chasing moving objects (people, bikes etc.) are natural behaviours to a dog and you need to train him gently and positively to control these instinctive urges.

Punishment techniques that involve leash tugs, rattles, high pitched noises, water or essential oil sprays are not only likely to be less effective in the long term than positive reinforcement but they run a high risk of causing further behavioural issues in a dog as they mature. Fear / aggression / lack of trust between dog and owner being just some of the possible outcomes. The other problem with aversive correction rather than positive reinforcement of good behaviour is that it does not encourage the dog to understand what is expected but frightens / startles / hurts him or her out of a particular action which may look like success in the short term but what happens as the dog grows, becomes stronger or accustomed to the punishment- do you then increase it to a higher level of punishment?

There are a couple of links here regarding correcting behaviour which make interesting reading:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... avior-dogs

https://glasgowdogtrainer.wordpress.com ... ay-bottle/

We have raised 14 dogs over the past twenty years and have had some challenging behaviours from one or two and the usual adolescent trials with almost all. We currently have eleven dogs ranging from 10 months to eleven years and we do know that positive reinforcement carried out with love and care does work - it may require patience and does require commitment and focus on the part of the family member/s training the dog but, in the long run, you have a dog that trusts you to be there for them and is more likely to always do the "right thing" as regards behaviour when out and about with you.

If you are looking for a professional behaviourist, do check that they use positive reinforcement techniques and can train you how to correctly use these for your dog. A great book for anyone with a challenging dog to train is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Pigs-Fly- ... 1929242441

In the meantime, do work on getting your dog to focus on you, as mentioned above by Julie, use a happy, excited voice to keep his attention and reward, reward, reward when you get it with the best possible treats (tripe stick pieces, cheese, sausage, liver pieces - anything smelly and tasty!) If he is more toy orientated than distracted by food, carry a favourite toy with you when you go out ( a squeaky or furry toy is often attractive to little dogs) and catch his attention with this to draw him away from looking at the cyclist, jogger etc.

Rewarding good behaviour is always the best way forward and will improve your relationship with your dog as well as training them how to behave socially in a human world. Your puppy is still very young and has had a recent traumatic experience - he needs you to be on his side and work with him to learn the right way. If things are a struggle just now, outside, do try lots of focus games with him in your garden or indoors so he learns to associate responding to you with rewards and when you want his attention he is more likely to give it. Also, in the early days when taking him out, try to avoid really challenging situations rather than forcing him into them and build up gradually. See if you can get family members or friends to work with you on training him to ignore distractions such as joggers or re-focus on you immediately from barking / lunging when you call him. If you set up scenarios with friends to mimic the kind of situations he is finding hard, you can build up your confidence in getting him to focus on you for rewards instead.

Good luck :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
EmG+
Puppy
First Name: Emily

Post by EmG+ »

Sometimes you need to agree to disagree and this is one of those times, even if you have just been described as an animal abuser 🙄

Anyways.... research and be open to all types of training, youtube is fantastic for many videos from some fantastic trainers.. trainers are different, dogs are different, owners are different, find what works for you.