Recommended Reading ("Reactive" Dogs)

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Recommended Reading ("Reactive" Dogs)

Post by zeta1454 »

I have just finished reading an excellent new book to support and guide anyone who wants to try a fresh approach to dealing with challenges in their relationship with their dog. Looking at reasons for behavioural issues and how to work with your dog in finding ways to manage them, as well as looking at your own way of managing challenges in your own life, this is an easy to read and helpful book for almost everyone who has one dog or more in their life :)

The book is called "Your End of the Lead" by Janet Finlay and is available on Amazon at a discounted price as well as downloadable on Kindle.

Janet Finlay also offers excellent online courses:

https://www.canineconfidenceacademy.com
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Recommended Reading ("Reactive" Dogs)

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Thanks for this Leigh. I never knew what having a reactive dog was until I had Otto. We are making super progress though so I know it can be turned around. Now whenever see a reactive dog the owner has my utmost sympathy and I always try to chat with the stressed out owner if I can to give some reassurance that things can get better.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 10:21 Thanks for this Leigh. I never knew what having a reactive dog was until I had Otto. We are making super progress though so I know it can be turned around. Now whenever see a reactive dog the owner has my utmost sympathy and I always try to chat with the stressed out owner if I can to give some reassurance that things can get better.
It can be easy when you have had a laid back sociable dog/s in the past to think that "reactive" dogs are only those from bad backgrounds or with families who don't know how to train them but any dog from any background can have or develop over-reactive behaviour in certain circumstances as I too have found out over the years. What I found refreshing with this book was the way the author shares her own experiences and doesn't judge those struggling with behaviour issues with their dog. The guidance on rethinking how we relate to our dogs is relevant in any situation and looking at how much we can work on ways to manage situations so as to help rather than hinder progress towards the goals we have set. I also like the way the author reminds us to look at everything about our dogs and value those characteristics or personality traits that are special about them rather than labelling the dog with a negative tag relating only to the things we want to change. It is much more than just another "training" book and definitely worth a read in my view whether or not someone has a "reactive" dog.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I have it on order so looking forward to reading it.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.