Ozzy is humping!

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Ozzy is humping!

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I caught him humping a new toy for sure and a few times he's humped my arm. I only saw my boy Snoop hump another dog once at 3 mo and that stopped completely when he was neutered, but Snoop was a super chill pup and grew into a super chill dog. Ozzy on the other hand is much more energetic and is pretty much...ok always.... doing something and has the attention span of a doorknob lol!

He loves to wrestle and he sometimes grips my arm with his front paws, and now and then I think I saw him humping. Am I encouraging it by wrestling?

I have read about ways to deal with it, it's not a super huge deal because when I pull away, he stops. I think I say 'no' too.

I realise it's probably not anything hormonal, he's only 9 weeks and likely just excitement and being overtired. Usually though when he gets tired, he winds down substantially and you usually tell. But the times he humped, we were in the middle of playing or outside.

I'll keep telling him no and pull away and i'll monitor to see if it's when he is tired, I'm not worried about it unless it becomes a thing, but i'm hoping I can nip this behaviour in the bud because we have no intention of breeding him. Actually we have a contract with the breeder to have him neutered. Part of the contract to own a puppy here.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Ozzy is humping!

Post by Dawnspell »

As you say it isnt anything hormonal. I would avoid saying no. He doesn't know what no means and he will be reacting to your body language and negative tone ,which for a puppy will feel like punishing. If it is either tiredness, frustration or over excitement calming distraction will help. As soon you think he's going to hump lure into a down and feed treats with slow movements while in down position. Once he's calm start play again and do the same if he starts again.

I think I've read this as the Jazz it up, calm it down game. It helped Jasper when he got humpy and I found its helped with se!f control as hes got older. I always had treats on my person when Jasper was little to reward behaviours I liked. I still do actually as he's full on dog.

Our neighbours dog totally ignores Jasper and will not play with him at all. The frustration makes Jasper want to jump him to release lent up energy I suppose.There are also a couple of long rag like toys which he tries to jump if he's tired.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

I find it really easy to stop the playful humping. I just get myself out of the way, sit down somewhere higher than him and then he comes over to me and he gets a nice massage on the head/neck sitting in front of me. He completely forgets what it was he was doing. Otto still likes to try to have a hump of my arm and has this habit of shoving his nose sharply under my armpit. I know when he is going to do it, even now at 3, it's when we have had a play session, at night and I am sitting on the floor with him. I have warned him about the sex pest register. He has never tried to hump a toy, bed or other dog, just my arm. I used to have a JRT who was rampant with a blanket.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Thank you Allison! I will for sure try to calm him down when I think he's too excited. For the most part he is not too hyper, but like you say I'll be sure not to rev him up too much and i'll be watching for when he winds down and gets tired. It totally makes a lot of sense tx!!!

He's a very good boy, but lol when he goes wild, he gets this look in his eye and he's gone! Gone running and zipping all over, it makes me laugh so hard. I think they are called zoomies haha. He is much crazier than my other two minis. He's a lot of fun :)
Last edited by Schnauzerluv on 06 Oct 2020, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 13:10 I find it really easy to stop the playful humping. I just get myself out of the way, sit down somewhere higher than him and then he comes over to me and he gets a nice massage on the head/neck sitting in front of me. He completely forgets what it was he was doing. Otto still likes to try to have a hump of my arm and has this habit of shoving his nose sharply under my armpit. I know when he is going to do it, even now at 3, it's when we have had a play session, at night and I am sitting on the floor with him. I have warned him about the sex pest register. He has never tried to hump a toy, bed or other dog, just my arm. I used to have a JRT who was rampant with a blanket.
Thanks Julie :) Yeah I'm going to distract him, calm him down and get myself out the way. Good thing they are little haha! I saw him hump his donkey, it's close to his size and made by Kong, so it crinkles and is very firm like a real animal. He only tried once though. And then there's my arm when we are playing/wrestling. Not very often and I can deal with it, I just really appreciate the comments and help.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 14:21
He's a very good boy, but lol when he goes wild, he gets this look in his eye and he's gone! Gone running and zipping all over, it makes me laugh so hard. I think they are called zoomies haha. He is much crazier than my other two minis. He's a lot of fun :)
Oh yes zoomies are great fun to watch. I end up with face ache laughing at Jasper. He just goes top speed though or over anything in his way, he hurdles the settee from the back straight over the top and onto the floor without touching :)) He is so fast at changing direction and is fearless. Have you given Ozzy a bath yet ? When Jasper is wet that is major zoomie time =)) =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Lol yes, I didn't give him a bath, but the breeder did before he came home. He was so itchy and I could feel a film of conditioner on my hands after playing with him. I also had a reaction to it and hated the perfume. So I just sponge bathed him with water and ACV. It helped a lot with his itching I was impressed. He smelled a lot better too! Lol, I'd rather him smell like puppy than flowers.

But yes, it's wet outside and he goes crazy when I pick up the leaves hahaha! Zipping through the leaf pile trying to grab the leaves i'm picking up. He's so funny! But he gets all wet rolling everywhere lol. And then there's no stopping him! He's like a gremlin. Goes crazy when he's wet. I remember my minis were all like that. I said gremlin because it was a hit movie when I had my 1st mini as a family pet.