First Run

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
Bon-bon
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Bonnie
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 18 Feb 2013

First Run

Post by Bon-bon »

Yey - just got back from my first 'run' with Bonnie - a celebration as much for me as for her !

I used to regularly run with our previous mini, Timba until injury and illness meant she could no longer accompany me :( . I reached my peak of fitness the weekend before we lost her when I completed my 2nd 10-mile Great South Run. I was determined to maintain my fitness levels and was aiming for a half-marathon but although initially I kept running, it was winter and my motivation was low so my fitness levels dropped, injury crept and I stopped running.

I cheered up when we got Bonnie but having sacrificed my gym membership to allow time and money for her needs and being unable to run with a puppy I couldn't find time for running separately so I planned start running again when she was a year old. Well her birthday came and went but the running shoes stayed firmly in the cupboard until today when the sun was shining and I felt motivated to get fit for our holiday in a month's time (a cruise with lots of on-board fitness facilities that I want to make use of, not the mention the benefit of losing the weight that's slowly piled on over the last year).

Bonnie of course loves running and gets lots of off-lead opportunity every morning but running with me at my pace ? The first bit of our route was narrow, overgrown and muddy so she didn't attempt to go too fast but when the way got clearer I did get the feeling that she was hoping we could race properly or better still, play chase ! However, she soon realised that this wasn't going to happen so accepted the constraints of the flexi-lead and my slow 'jogging' pace.

Now that we've done the first run together I'm looking forward to regularly running with her although won't try to achieve too much too soon for my own injury protection. My first aim will be to take Bonnie on our local 5K Park Run - dogs are welcome and I'm sure she'll love it. Then who knows - maybe we'll be up for Cani-Cross one day :)
Parents of Roxy
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Roxy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 04 Nov 2008

Re: First Run

Post by Parents of Roxy »

I am really pleased for you. You are far more disciplined than me so I admire your commitment and hope you get many years accompanied by your perfect running partner.
Bonnie is sure to love this new routine.
Sue
Schnauzer loving family to Roxy our standard born 4/11/08
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Well done you :-bd

I see some people here out running with their dogs but I am so unfit I can't see us doing it! One woman has a special lead that fits around her waist with a bungee attachment so the dog trots along side her, others have their dogs running free.

What cruise ship are you going on and where are you going? If it is anything like the cruises I have done you need the fitness equipment to counteract the huge quantities of food available =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Well done to Elaine & Bonnie ;;)
Maty wrote: If it is anything like the cruises I have done you need the fitness equipment to counteract the huge quantities of food available =))
I'm ashamed to say I'm still carrying the extra pounds I put on during our last cruise in October. The first couple we went on, we were regulars in the gymn but the last few, we haven't even packed the necessary clothing :ymblushing: :ymblushing: . There's no hope!! Especially as we're due to go on another one at Xmas. It was booked before Alfie's Diabetes was diagnosed, so we'll have to see what happens with that.
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
Bon-bon

Post by Bon-bon »

We're going with Norwegian Lines. They have a gym and looks like they do classes. I need to boost my fitness before I go or I know I'll do one class and won't be able to move for the rest of the week ! And determined to be disciplined re food although no doubt easier said than done !

Bonnie on the other hand is so toned I think she thought today's run was more of a walk than a run. Luckily she had a proper run this afternoon with the gorgeous Darcy (Milosark2) so hasn't been short-measured :)

Re the lead - I used to run sometimes with Timba off-lead but found every now and then something would distract her and I would have to stop while she investigated. By keeping her (and now Bonnie) on a flexi lead there is still some freedom of pace despite the requirement to keep moving with me. I like the sound of those bungee/waist leads so intend to investigate further.
Bon-bon

Post by Bon-bon »

Well another first today: completed our first 5K 'Park Run' together :-bd

Have been running with Bonnie sporadically in the mornings in our local area but wasn't sure of my own ability to run a full 5K until our recent cruise when I gradually built up to the full 17 times round the deck for 3miles which roughly equates to 5k.

In actual fact we ran more than 5k today because I started off with a 3k run first thing but Bonnie spent too much time sniffing so I didn't feel as if we'd done a 'proper' run. As we both had plenty of energy I decided that our little trot would serve as a 'warm up' for a proper run so off we went.

We ran at a flatter venue than I used to run as been so long since I've participated and didn't think I could cope with hills as well as Bonnie. My time was about 7mins slower than my previous PB and 3mins longer than my worst performance but obviously starting at the back of over 400 runners with a dog in tow who wants to say "hello" to all the other dogs in the park both running and just out for a morning stroll was never going to be conducive to getting a good time today so I will start afresh comparing future performances with today's rather than my historical timings :)