Agility Foundation Training

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
Flintish
Puppy
First Name: Karen
Dog #1: Flint
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2014

Agility Foundation Training

Post by Flintish »

Me and Flint attended our first agility foundation training class this evening. The class is for dogs from 6 months old - Flint is 7 months - so there are no obstacles involved at all at this stage. The class is based on Susan Garrett's Recallers course, aiming to build a good relationship with your dog so that they enjoy working with you even in distracting environments.

Week 1 we did collar grabs (to build a positive association with holding onto their collar), settle on a mat, responding to their name, and rewarding offered eye contact. :o3

There are only 6 dogs in the class and one of the others is another black and silver Mini! Sadly we're on holiday in the Peak District next week so we'll miss lesson 2. We will have to practice settling on a mat in country pubs to make up for missing class :p

Anyone else started agility recently?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Agility Foundation Training

Post by Dawnspell »

We started in July. Lots of different things you can do before the big boys jumping. We did things like walking along a ladder on the ground placing each foot, no bunny hoping so they learn where their back feet are. A good "wait" command. Teaching "come" so they will come to either side and not just the obedience to the front. Walking on different surfaces. Teaching to follow your hand.

Get him fixed and motivated on a particular toy. Finding a reward for Barney has been the hardest part :)) He changes his mind every week it can be Tuggy, ball, food or something someone else has and I never know until we start =))

Unfortunately ours finishes in a couple of weeks until Feb as its outside venue :(
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Mike Jackson
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Boris
Born: 12 Dec 2013
Dog #2: Bertie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 14 Jul 2009
Dog #3: Arthur
Born: 08 May 2011

Post by Mike Jackson »

I use a bungee treat pouch for training.

https://tug-e-nuff.co.uk/bungee-tug-toy ... d-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put some high value, smelly, treats inside and the dogs will work to it. It only gets used for agility to maintain it's reward function. Boris hasn't started yet but he knows about the special bag because he gets a treat out of it when Bertie and I get home. He already knows that it's special.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Mike Jackson wrote:I use a bungee treat pouch for training.

https://tug-e-nuff.co.uk/bungee-tug-toy ... d-bag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I put some high value, smelly, treats inside and the dogs will work to it. It only gets used for agility to maintain it's reward function. Boris hasn't started yet but he knows about the special bag because he gets a treat out of it when Bertie and I get home. He already knows that it's special.
I made something similar out of an old fleece jumper and put thin strips of dried tripe and fish skin inside. Those are special "sweeties" and toy for agility.

I also got one of these the other week, still building up its value.
http://www.traininglines.co.uk/busy-bud ... -ball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Sharon H
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Falls of Clyde
Born: 14 Jul 2009
Dog #2: Lichstone Midnight L
Born: 08 May 2011
Dog #3: Quickpaw Mr Blue Sky
Born: 12 Dec 2013

Post by Sharon H »

Boris starts his agility training tonight. I'm going along to watch Mike try and control him :)
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

You must take pics !!! I imagine Boris to be a bit like Albert! He'll love it and do it.... If he wants to!!!!!!!
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/