First agility training

Our Schnauzers love to be active. Have a look which activity will suit your dog. There is everything from Agility, flyball, Rally-O, Cani-X to Schutzhund.
nadezhda
Puppy

First agility training

Post by nadezhda »

We're going to our first agility training with my standard today. Any tips would be very helpful. I taught him do certain commands in the yard, haven't ever tried off-leash. I'd appreciate any thought and suggestion on how to start it rightly.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: First agility training

Post by Maty »

How did it go?

Are you just doing it for fun or do you want to compete eventually?
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

Did it go ok, if I'd seen this earlier I would have said extra value treats!!!!! :D
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
nadezhda
Puppy

Post by nadezhda »

Maty wrote:How did it go?

Are you just doing it for fun or do you want to compete eventually?
I want to compete eventually, but it didn't go well. He was resisting too much. I tried to make it like a game, but that didn't work either. I think the sun had its partial role, cause it was a bit hot. But I want to go early in the morning next time and with some meat, cause treats didn't help
nadezhda
Puppy

Post by nadezhda »

lj_thorne wrote:Did it go ok, if I'd seen this earlier I would have said extra value treats!!!!! :D
I took those but it didn't help, I'm going to take some meat, hopefully he'll be more motivated. But it really didn't go as I expected, he was resisting too much :(
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

What do you mean by resisting too much ? :-\
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
nadezhda
Puppy

Post by nadezhda »

Dawnspell wrote:What do you mean by resisting too much ? :-\
I mean he simply didn't want to jump over the barriers. But he does great in our yard over some benches and tubes. I also tried today in the street he jumped with great enthusiasm, so I'm guessing either the ground was hot or it was completely new place for him that's why he wouldn't do anything. I'm going to take him to training place once more today in the evening, so it's not sunny. We'll see how he behaves and decide whether we'll be ready for October 4th opening of the training area. It's not a competition yet, but he must be at least ready to go through barriers.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Just remember dogs don't generalise. Its like when you take them to puppy class and get sits and downs to do as homework. They perfect it at home then go to puppy class and its as though they've never heard the words before :))

Barney would zoom through the tunnel at training once he got the idea but when I bought one for home we had to start again. He also isn't interested in food treats but works for a toy.

Could be the side supports he's not sure of, getting him to walk in between with out any poles before you start on low jumps.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
nadezhda
Puppy

Post by nadezhda »

Dawnspell wrote:Just remember dogs don't generalise. Its like when you take them to puppy class and get sits and downs to do as homework. They perfect it at home then go to puppy class and its as though they've never heard the words before :))

Barney would zoom through the tunnel at training once he got the idea but when I bought one for home we had to start again. He also isn't interested in food treats but works for a toy.

Could be the side supports he's not sure of, getting him to walk in between with out any poles before you start on low jumps.
Ok, thanks a lot. Will try again
Mike Jackson
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Boris
Born: 12 Dec 2013
Dog #2: Bertie
Born: 14 Jul 2009
Dog #3: Arthur
Born: 08 May 2011

Post by Mike Jackson »

We start by just getting the dog to run through the jump wings to a treat or a toy. After we have built drive through the wings we put the poles on the floor and do it again. At the foundation course I'm helping teach we didn't start the dogs jumping over poles set on the lowest height until week 6.

If you are looking to compete you need to work on drive. Have a search on you tube for agility foundation videos.
gwylismum
First Name: Barbara
Dog #1: Georgina - Shar-Pei
Born: 03 Jul 2013
Dog #2: Gwylim
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 08 Nov 2013

Post by gwylismum »

Gwylim's starting agility tomorrow with Georgina's (my Pei) first trainer. I'm looking forward to it as she has two Schnauzers of her own who've done very well in agility competitions. I'm not sure though whether Miss Pei Face will enjoy it as she's rather lazy, and might find it too much effort! But we'll see who knows I might get a nice surprise!
Personal Assistant/Social Secretary to HRH Gwylim the Conqueror and HRH Princess Georgina